Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT
      #304893 - 07/09/17 02:28 AM

And so begins another archery season in Montana..

http://www.kbzk.com/story/36295321/man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-ennis#

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT [Re: Ripp]
      #304895 - 07/09/17 02:48 AM

Nasty - one (or is it 2) more reason I do not hunt with a bow any more. The threat of bear attack when armed with only 2 sticks and a string and secondly, that when you need it as a last resort in a charge, the bear spray might not work.

Not to take away from this story, but 2 friends of mine, on their last bow hunt near Hudson's Hope, B.C. called in 5 grizzlies with the elk bugle. I'm sure 3 of them were 2 year old cubs with their moms, but just the same. In bear family attacks, they all get involved. The mother bears winded the boys & maybe didn't like the smell. All 5 ran off.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Bidgee
.375 member

Reged: 08/04/15
Loc: Northern Rivers, NSW
Re: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT [Re: DarylS]
      #304899 - 07/09/17 05:11 AM

Damn lucky bugger! That could have ended a lot worse.

Grenadier
.375 member

Reged: 20/02/08
Loc: North of the Columbia, USA
Re: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT [Re: Bidgee]
      #304900 - 07/09/17 05:35 AM

I don't know about these bears. The closest I got to some was a couple 400 yards away while caribou hunting in AK.

I can't help but wonder if this had something to do with what went down:
Quote:

.....came upon a grizzly bear eating a carcass.....The two men yelled at the bear and it began to charge

--------------------
~

Loyalist17
.224 member

Reged: 20/08/16
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT [Re: Grenadier]
      #304901 - 07/09/17 05:45 AM

I'll second that, Grenadier. Even though I always carried a 12 gauge when I was doing bush work, the first thing I told everyone in the camp to do was to get out the the area and leave the damn bear be, to avoid needless escalations like this appears to be.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT [Re: Grenadier]
      #304908 - 07/09/17 07:53 AM

Quote:

I don't know about these bears. The closest I got to some was a couple 400 yards away while caribou hunting in AK.

I can't help but wonder if this had something to do with what went down:
Quote:

.....came upon a grizzly bear eating a carcass.....The two men yelled at the bear and it began to charge

I too wonder at this. Why would you antagonize the animal when it is on the carcass. It is theirs by then and they will defend it.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT [Re: Rule303]
      #304909 - 07/09/17 08:12 AM

Exactly - missed that the first time around - idiots. Had they slowly retreated from the confrontation instead of showing aggression by shouting, the attack likely would not have happened in the first place.

--------------------
Daryl

Ripp
.577 member

#304913 - 07/09/17 11:01 AM

Quote:

Exactly - missed that the first time around - idiots. Had they slowly retreated from the confrontation instead of showing aggression by shouting, the attack likely would not have happened in the first place.

Agree.. 100% on all accounts..had they moved away quietly, very likely nothing would have happened..BUT, out of state..not used to dealing with this type of situation, pay the price ..

Ripp

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Another Bear Attack - did you guess right? [Re: Ripp]
      #304977 - 08/09/17 09:45 AM

Yes - Bowhunter in Saskatchewan

CBC actually giving good advice, for a change.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/provincial-bear-cougar-tips-1.4099130

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Another Bear Attack - did you guess right? [Re: DarylS]
      #304992 - 08/09/17 04:55 PM

Quote:

CBC actually giving good advice, for a change.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/provincial-bear-cougar-tips-1.4099130

Interesting.

Fight cougars and bears if they attack, province says
Bears are coming out of hibernation and are looking to establish their turf

CBC News Posted: May 04, 2017 10:05 AM CT Last Updated: May 04, 2017 10:05 AM CT

With summer looming, predators are looking to establish new territory and feed their young — and sometimes that results in human interaction.

The Saskatchewan government is advising anyone who is attacked by a predatory animal to fight back.

People are advised to properly store food and garbage. Leaving them out in the open attracts bears and other predators.

If anyone encounters a potentially dangerous animal, they are advised to call conservation officers at 1-800-667-7561 or #5555 from your cellphone.
If you encounter a bear:

If you're attacked, fight back.
Stay calm, keep quiet and do not run.
Don't look directly at the bear. Slowly back away and take a wide detour.
Stay away from the cubs or mama bear will intervene.
Do not feed bears or they will lose their natural fear of humans.
Drop things in your possession to distract the bear as a last resort.
Keep your pet on a leash. An unleashed animal may aggravate predators.

If you encounter a cougar:

Keep calm and do not run.
Make it known you're not prey: appear big as possible, shout loudly and throw stuff at it.
Back away to a safe distance and keep eye contact.
Never play dead with any situation involving a cougar.
After a cougar has left, keep an eye out until you get to safety.
If it attacks, fight back and use any weapon you can.

Quiet with a bear, loud with a cougar.

Don't play dead with a cougar. I guess like a lion they eat carrion.

How does one fight back with a bear?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#304993 - 08/09/17 05:01 PM

Quote:

And so begins another archery season in Montana..

http://www.kbzk.com/story/36295321/man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-ennis#

Man survives grizzly bear attack near Ennis
Posted: Sep 06, 2017 7:42 AM
Updated: Sep 06, 2017 11:13 AM
By Aja Goare - MTN News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a8F10wS8E8

A man was recovering in the hospital on Tuesday after he was attacked by a grizzly bear while hunting with a friend near the Dry Gulch, Cascade Creek area south of Ennis.

The two hunters were bugling for elk on Monday morning when they came upon a grizzly bear eating a carcass, said Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks Chief Information Officer Greg Lemon.

The two men yelled at the bear and it began to charge, according to a post from the victim's friend.

The two men attempted to spray the animal with bear spray, but only one man's spray deployed.

The grizzly bear then attacked Tom Sommer, scratching at the man's head and shoulders as he tried to shoot the bear.

The bear bit through Sommer's thigh and then put the victim's head in its mouth, according to Sommer's friend.

Sommer was then able to spray the animal with bear spray from about two feet away and escaped.

Sommer was transported to the hospital, where his friend said he received 90 stitches in his head.

Sommer is from St. Louis, Missouri.

Lemon said the area where the two men encountered the bear is a very remote section near the headwaters of the west fork of the Madison River.

In the past few years, Lemon said there's only been a handful of bear encounters in that area.

Lemon said FWP would not attempt to capture the bear because it's believed the bear attacked in self-defense.

Sommer's friend posted the photos to Facebook said Sommer was being released from the hospital on Tuesday, though the Madison Valley Medical Center would not confirm that information.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Another Bear Attack - did you guess right? [Re: NitroX]
      #304998 - 08/09/17 07:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John, haven't you seen the John West adds. Point to something up behind the bear, when it looks away kick it in the gonads.

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Another Bear Attack - did you guess right? [Re: Rule303]
      #305001 - 08/09/17 08:32 PM

Fight back with a black bear as he will kill you and eat you right then and there..at least partially...NOT with a griz--you are to play dead...you fight back and don't have a weapon you will be dead, period..

Black bear, punch/kick the nose, eyes, whatever...but keep him off of you..black bears can be very predatory at certain times depending on food availability, age of bear, etc....way more black bear attacks than griz, but there are also a ton more black bears than griz..

Copied this off of a site..

Bear Attacks
Bear attacks are rare; most bears are only interested in protecting food, cubs, or their space. However, being mentally prepared can help you have the most effective reaction. Every situation is different, but below are guidelines on how brown bear attacks can differ from black bear attacks. Help protect others by reporting all bear incidents to a park ranger immediately. Above all, keep your distance from bears!

Brown/Grizzly Bears:
If you are attacked by a brown/grizzly bear, leave your pack on and PLAY DEAD. Lay flat on your stomach with your hands clasped behind your neck. Spread your legs to make it harder for the bear to turn you over. Remain still until the bear leaves the area. Fighting back usually increases the intensity of such attacks. However, if the attack persists, fight back vigorously. Use whatever you have at hand to hit the bear in the face.

Black Bears:
If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as a car or building. If escape is not possible, try to fight back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.
If any bear attacks you in your tent, or stalks you and then attacks, do NOT play dead—fight back! This kind of attack is very rare, but can be serious because it often means the bear is looking for food and sees you as prey.

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Another Bear Attack - did you guess right? [Re: Ripp]
      #305003 - 08/09/17 09:32 PM

I play the devils advocate and call Scribner's error.

I'll bet those guys suddenly came upon the bear feeding and when the bear stood-up and came towards them, they started yelling.

What we read is what the reporter wrote. Not what happened.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#305006 - 08/09/17 10:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

John, haven't you seen the John West adds. Point to something up behind the bear, when it looks away kick it in the gonads.

Ha ha

I rather throw him the John West Red Salmon to distract him, then sneak away.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#305007 - 08/09/17 10:15 PM

Ripp, Scary stuff just thinking about how it would be fighting off a bear if being attacked and not being armed with anything adequate. So being prepared I guess is always the best option if possible. I like it how in XXXXX (need to look up the name) Islands in the Northern Atlantic/Arctic Ocean, it is the law, a person MUST be armed with a suitable firearm when about town or out and about. Here in Aust we would be told the opposite, you must be disarmed at all times ....

Guess bears have to eat too ...

Luckily Koalas only eat foreign tourists ...

DD, spot on comment. One forgets the articles are not direct comments, but third party interpretations.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

DarylS
.700 member

#305016 - 09/09/17 03:40 AM

Yes - there is always room for being misquoted, especially when it's deemed to be newsworthy.

Fellow just West of here, number of years ago was attacked, unprovoked as he didn't know he was walking past a bear on a gut pile, up, just above the trail. He was attacked by the young sow grizzly, maybe roughly 400pounds.

When he was hit, jumped on from above, his rifle sling broke and the rifle went flying away out of reach. He managed to get out his belt knife, which had a 4 1/2" blade and managed to kill her with that.

The fellow, from Vanderhoof, managed to cut the bear's carotid arteries and jugular veins. He did not even know she'd ripped his legs so badly, thinking she was only working on his pack & head trying to get at his neck.

He needed over 400 stitches to close his wounds.

Gary Shelton, bear expert and Bare Aware Course Teacher, noted that if packing a knife for protection against grizzlies, that a slim(ish) 10" blade was about minimum. A 12 bore with GOOD slugs is preferred.

A Japanese Tanto is a good design. I showed mine to Gary, who said "That will work as long as you can stick him with it & work it around".

At that time, I was working in the bush for the Ministry of Forests. I also packed my 12 bore.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Tanto+Jap...yhG2_I9tlB1mnM:

--------------------
Daryl

ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
Re: Another Bear Attack - did you guess right? [Re: DarylS]
      #305115 - 10/09/17 11:49 PM

Chew chew chew crunch crunch crunch yum yum yum.its amazing how ill prepared some people are.you have to watch a new show (i was prey) on animal planet.most were chewed up in Canada.do they not research or watch tv?i could not in the world walk in the woods without atleast a killin knife.playing dead with a grizzly how do u do that unless ur laying on your tanto blade ready to strike.

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Rule303
.416 member

Re: Another Bear Attack - did you guess right? [Re: DoubleD]
      #305153 - 11/09/17 05:13 PM

Quote:

I play the devils advocate and call Scribner's error.

I'll bet those guys suddenly came upon the bear feeding and when the bear stood-up and came towards them, they started yelling.

What we read is what the reporter wrote. Not what happened.

A very valid point.

Remington
.224 member

Reged: 12/12/04
Loc: Spain
      #305156 - 11/09/17 07:36 PM

In these areas where bears are known, is it not prudent to carry a large or long caliber weapon to defend themselves in the event of an attack? I think it is unwise to carry out any activity in these areas without adequate protection. I do not know the bear spray but I would not trust them. Minimum one good 44 Magnum revolver.

Remington.

--------------------
Punctuality is respect for the time of others.

Ripp
.577 member

#305172 - 11/09/17 11:32 PM

Quote:

Nasty - one (or is it 2) more reason I do not hunt with a bow any more. The threat of bear attack when armed with only 2 sticks and a string and secondly, that when you need it as a last resort in a charge, the bear spray might not work.

Not to take away from this story, but 2 friends of mine, on their last bow hunt near Hudson's Hope, B.C. called in 5 grizzlies with the elk bugle. I'm sure 3 of them were 2 year old cubs with their moms, but just the same. In bear family attacks, they all get involved. The mother bears winded the boys & maybe didn't like the smell. All 5 ran off.

Actually had a blackie come in last year to a cow call...first time that has happened..another few yards I would have had a good shot with the bow...hoping he is still around this year..headed up there next weekend..

Agree with the 12 gauge slug as the best when you have the room to carry..when I am backpacking usually have my S&W titanium in 44mag..loaded with 300 or more solid cast core bullets...

Remember reading a survey a few years back about attacks in Alaska..surprised me with the results in that the .357Mag was the most common used in bear defense..while I feel its a great round..think for a brownie or griz I'd rather have a 44..IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
      #305173 - 11/09/17 11:57 PM

Bear spray really is effective as proven over time. Far better than a firearm for most people. Now as a gun person I would rather pack a gun, but that doesn't mean it is the best choice.

cordite
.333 member

Reged: 29/01/07
Loc: NW Montana
Re: Man-survives-grizzly-bear-attack-near-Ennis, MT [Re: cordite]
      #305174 - 12/09/17 12:07 AM

I came upon a grizzly a few years ago in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. It was during hunting season and the bear was just off the trail feeding on a gut pile. It was a big beautiful bear and only 60 yards away. Fortunately, I was able to back out without incident. I decided it was time to abandon the trail and hunt in the opposite direction.

Remington
.224 member

Reged: 12/12/04
Loc: Spain
      #305177 - 12/09/17 12:47 AM

Quote:

I came upon a grizzly a few years ago in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. It was during hunting season and the bear was just off the trail feeding on a gut pile. It was a big beautiful bear and only 60 yards away. Fortunately, I was able to back out without incident. I decided it was time to abandon the trail and hunt in the opposite direction.

It is the most prudent option, but I believe it always backed by a great cartridge in case the predator notices our presence and considers it a threat and attacks.

Remington.

--------------------
Punctuality is respect for the time of others.

Ripp
.577 member

#305182 - 12/09/17 01:53 AM

Quote:

Bear spray really is effective as proven over time. Far better than a firearm for most people. Now as a gun person I would rather pack a gun, but that doesn't mean it is the best choice.

Agree--and yes, as a gun person I choose to carry the gun..my wife carries both, but I have told her you won't have time to use both and maybe not one should it happen..

Ripp

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9677

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com