Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: PSE Sequoia longbow

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Bowhunting + Bows, Spears & Knives

Pages: 1
bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
PSE Sequoia longbow
      #114362 - 14/09/08 08:25 AM

I just got this for my first bow hunt.

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=60393&sk=60393&u=3714

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: PSE Sequoia longbow [Re: bonanza]
      #114394 - 14/09/08 03:14 PM

G'day Bonanza!

Just wanting to wish you happy hunting and happy shooting with your new bow! It looks nice. I don't know how new you are to archery, but I've only just worked out this really great, fun, cheap, stress-free form of target practice: Get some steel blunts from 3RiversArchery.com that weigh the same as your broadheads / fieldtips, and get access to some wide open space (the lawn of the school oval where I teach works well) and shoot empty plastic soft drink bottles. The blunts hit the bottle hard, and if you miss, they pull the arrow up in a short distance, and they are very hard to lose even in nice green lawn. It's a hoot, and it has really helped me this year.

All the best in the coming deer season to you,

Ben

David_P
.224 member

Reged: 22/01/09
Loc: Minnesota
Re: PSE Sequoia longbow [Re: Ben]
      #124884 - 22/01/09 11:51 PM

Just signed in to the forum. I have never shot a compound and think you will enjoy your bow. I have shot a lot of 3-D archery which is a good way to get to know a bow. Zwicky judo heads are a great way to go out and practice.

--------------------
DP

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: PSE Sequoia longbow [Re: David_P]
      #125309 - 29/01/09 12:05 AM

Well done Bonanza.

You didn't begin with the easiest way, a compound being more confortable and could be rigged with a sight.

I second with asking 3 rivers archery. Great guys and very pros. I especially recommend Dany Dupuy, a real nice fellow.

Archery is simple and don't need plenty of gizmos. Shoot the way that gives you the most fun.
good luck

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

bonanza
.400 member

Re: PSE Sequoia longbow [Re: larcher]
      #125343 - 29/01/09 11:55 AM

I love love this bow. No regrets at all. I only took it out hunting twice, but shoot it pretty regularly in my front yard. A very long time ago when I was a teenager I had an old Bear recurve that was my dad's. When I decided to get back into archery, it was going to be traditional all the way. However, I am shooting aluminum arrows at the moment.

--------------------

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"Yo! Mr. White"

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: PSE Sequoia longbow [Re: bonanza]
      #125395 - 30/01/09 05:29 AM

Good choice of bow - Bonanza - what weight did you get? I was shocked at the low prices.

The guide I work for, guides only traditional hunters now, recurve of longbow. It's a lot of work & heartache to see a massive bull moose at 10 feet to 50 yards and have enough crap or more often, problems to either mess up or not be able to take the shot due to range. Sometimes they just will NOT come in any closer, yet 10 min. later, one may try to walk over you. Such is primitive hunting - what a rush when the action starts!

Hints for success - QUIET clothing, leave the cottons at home. QUIET boots - high rubbers are deadly in assisting in not seeing any moose. QUIET hats - HEAVY arrows & at least 55 pounds of draw weight - 65 is better. A very sharp 2 bladed broadhead, a 50 pound longbow and 650gr. or heavier arrow is enough if you hit NO bone at all. Learn to walk quietly - & bright shiny faces and hands won't help you. They flash as you move. Think goose hunting, except you need quiet everything.

Best so far, is fleece - good quality fleece - wool is also a preferred clothing material. At least 2 pairs pants and jacket, as it does rain (or snow) & clothing needs to dryout.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (30/01/09 05:31 AM)

David_P
.224 member

Reged: 22/01/09
Loc: Minnesota
Re: PSE Sequoia longbow [Re: DarylS]
      #126325 - 09/02/09 04:54 AM

Aluminum Arrows are fast becomming traditional as carbon has been taking over. Aluminum were really a PITA as they were cold to handle when snow was on the ground and had a distincive sound when hit against something in the woods. I use cedar while I can get it and have a lot on hand. I have shot deer with traditional bows and would give this advice. Nothing matters so much as the broadhead. Everything else is a means to get it there. The Zwickeys two blades are excellent. Fred Bears classic with the razor insert is a little soft in its screw in version but is deadly on deer. The Wenzel Woodsman 3 blade also is good on deer. On bigger game use a 2 blade. Some like the Grizzly two blades for big stuff as they do not bend. Zwickeys sharpen best with a coarser file and can be touched up with a diamond sharpener. The others can be honed. As to bow weight, pull what you can shoot accurately. It has often been said that a 55 pound recurve will kill anything in North America. Howard Hill stated that a 40 pound bow and a 450 grain arrow will handle anything up to moose. I shoot about a 50 pound bow because I messed up one elbow shooting too heavy. Its the broadhead that kills anyway. You do not need complete pass through. One of the deadliest wounds I saw was from a Bear razor head that bounced back from the far rib out of a 45 pound recurve. It kept cutting while the deer kept moving.

--------------------
DP

bonanza
.400 member

Re: PSE Sequoia longbow [Re: David_P]
      #126329 - 09/02/09 05:21 AM

David,

I did go with the 50 lbs and not the 55. Glad I did. I got the Muzzy Phantom which was the closest traditional broadhead my local shop had.

B.

--------------------

"Yo! Mr. White"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3295

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com