Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Shotguns

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time??
      #236998 - 23/10/13 05:24 AM

Today’s consumer has a wide variety of choices when selecting a defensive shotgun, but which of these guns earns the title as the best home defense shotgun ever? In my opinion, the Mossberg 500 stands out from the crowd for a number of reasons.

First, Mossberg has been building the 500 for 52 years. During that time, more than 10 million of these pump guns have rolled off the assembly line in North Haven, Conn., and Eagle Pass, Texas. For the last 30 years, the 590 has been the shotgun of choice for the U.S. military, and more than 100,000 units have been supplied to the armed forces. The 500 and 590 lines also have the distinction of being the only shotguns ever to pass the rigorous Mil-Spec 3443 torture test, proving what generations of shooters already knew: Mossberg guns are tough.

Pump-action shotguns are favored by police and military for two primary reasons: They are fast and reliable. The Mossberg 500 series has earned a reputation for dependability, which is paramount when selecting a home defense shotgun. Manually cycling the action simplifies the reloading process and reduces the odds of a malfunction. In experienced hands, a pump shotgun is almost as fast as a semi-auto, and sliding the fore end forward helps to shooter return to the target and stabilizes the gun. All of these qualities make pump guns a logical choice for home defense, and Mossberg makes more pump guns than any company in the world.

Within the Mossberg family, the 500, 590 and 590A1 all share the same action, but there are slight differences. The 500 has a bolt on the barrel that threads into the magazine tube, while the 590 has a threaded nut similar in design to the Remington 870. This design facilitates cleaning and makes it possible to add aftermarket magazine tube extensions. The 590A1 has an aluminum safety and trigger guard, and a heavier barrel—but in all other respects it is the same as the standard 590. All members of the 500 Series have twin action bars, dual extractors and a top of the receiver-mounted safety.

Fullscreen
New Home Defense Products for 201315 Picture 1 of 9 15 Mossberg is the largest manufacturer of shotguns in the U.S. by over 40 percent, thanks in large part to the success of the 500, 590 and the 590A1. With over 20 different defensive and tactical offerings, Mossberg most likely has a shotgun that meets your needs. They offer versions with extended magazine tubes, heat shields, integral lights, accessory rails, tactical sights and a host of other accessories. There are versions with pistol grips and tactical stocks as well. There’s even a .410 version with a short stock, vertical fore end grip, 18 ½-inch barrel and a choke is specially designed to accommodate .410 buckshot loads. Needless to say, the Mossberg lineup of shotguns offers a variety of options.

From a practical standpoint, Mossberg shotguns have several design elements that make them a superb choice for home defense. First of all, the top of the receiver-mounted safety is easy to find and manipulate and doesn’t require adjusting the position of your shooting hand. In addition, left-handed shooters will find the safety position as easy to use as right-handed shooters will, and the large, notched safety button is easy to locate even in total darkness. The action release is located at the rear left of the trigger guard, making it easy to find and eliminating the need to reach around the front of the trigger guard. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the shell lifters on the Mossberg pumps remain in the up position when a shell is in the chamber. This allows for faster reloads without the possibility of pinched fingers.

Mechanically, the Mossberg has some very real advantages over rivals like the Remington 870 and the Winchester SXP. For starters, the Mossberg’s dual extractors provide a sturdy and secure grip on the shell. If the 870’s single extractor fails, you’ve got a major problem. Additionally, the Mossberg’s design makes it easy to fix any parts that wear out or break. Simply tap out a single pin, pull out the trigger assembly, squeeze the sides of the shell lifter to drop it out and pull back on the fore end to drop the bolt into your hand. The fixed ejector is held in place with a single screw, so it can be changed easily and quickly. The Mossberg bolt locks directly to the barrel via a locking lug, and this direct bolt-to-barrel lockup is stronger that a bolt-receiver lockup.

Additionally, the Mossberg has a steel bolt lock that attaches to a lug in the barrel, which is also made of steel, so the argument that the alloy receiver is somehow weaker than the Remington 870’s steel receiver doesn’t hold water. Arguments can be made both ways regarding the tang-mounted safety versus the trigger guard safety, but to my mind the ambidextrous tang-mounted safety is an advantage.

Robust design, a variety of options and a 50-plus year history of excellence make the Mossberg 500 line a logical choice for home defense. In addition, this gun is still made in the U.S. and is still sold for a reasonable price. There are plenty of defensive shotguns in the world, but in my mind, the Mossberg 500 is still the best.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/10/21/ga.../#ixzz2iTbDSgvy

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (23/10/13 05:25 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time?? [Re: Ripp]
      #237013 - 23/10/13 05:32 PM

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500, cost me GBP99 and took me 6 months to save for when I was 14 years old. I wish I still had it but I have a Model 12 which I prefer, slicker action INMO, best, Mike

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time?? [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #237029 - 24/10/13 02:47 AM

I'll always have a soft spot for my old J.C. Higgins vent rib pump riot gun that I packed in the PC in Surrey, as well as the M870's I trained on and trained my squad's with in the Corrections Branch.

The Winchester Defenders seem to be just fine & are popular locally with a lot of people.

The M835 Mossberg I have now with a 24" rifled tube satisfies my curiosity or needs about a short barreled 'riot-type' gun, however it's use is for "camp" protection, loaded with 3" slug loads or round balls. The 30" vented tube with chokes is for birds. It seems to work well too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

jaguarxk120
.224 member

Reged: 29/11/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time?? [Re: DarylS]
      #237514 - 07/11/13 03:40 AM

One thing you failed to mention about the Mossberg 500. The safety, it is made of plastic and will break or fall off at the most inopportune time. That piece of plastic, that looks a wart on a old hags nose, after it falls off the gun is rendered useless because the locking piece inside jam's the action.

Also in Mossberg's wonderful quest to make more money from the starting shooter, makes the trigger group/housing from plastic (cheap)!

smicha6551
.275 member

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: NYC & Kuwait
Re: Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time?? [Re: jaguarxk120]
      #237823 - 15/11/13 06:49 AM

That article sounds more like an ad - which is what I'd expect from G&A. I'd prefer if they were honest and just had a few more pages of Mossberg's ads. And this comes from someone who likes ONE of Mossberg's guns.

Jaguarxk120 (in addition to having a cool screen name) is spot on. The only one of the Mossberg series I'd use would be the 590A1 guns, which use metal trigger groups and safeties and the heavier barrel - this being the one the service uses. Alternatively one could get a standard model and replace both the safety and the trigger group though it probably wouldn't pay unless you get the gun for free. Mind you plastic isn't an automatic disqualifier for me in firearms - such as in polymer frame handguns or Beretta automatic shotguns - it's just that Mossberg's safety isn't up to any real use.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time?? [Re: smicha6551]
      #237856 - 16/11/13 03:31 AM

Interesting, the safety on my Mossberg 835 works just fine - locks the trigger when engaged and when pushed forwards, allows the gun to fire. I haven't tried dropping the gun on it's guard or safety and probably won't.

For a gun that will probably never have to be used except for practicing, I think they will do just fine.

The M870 will always be a favourite scatter gun though - they are tough guns & fast action - 6 silhouettes in 2 to 2 1/2 seconds. They will allow 3 empties in the air at a time when worked properly when using the 7 round tube extension. The extra weight helps keep the muzzle down. One MUST practice to get the timing down, then it becomes second nature.

I do like the rifled tube on my Mossy for my own use (camp gun). As well, the heavier barrel allows Ed Huble's high velocity slug loads. Just picked up a pound of 'STEEL' for that testing.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
Re: Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time?? [Re: Ripp]
      #257630 - 08/12/14 11:06 AM

For my money, I think the best house gun is an 870 Remington with a mag extension on it, loaded with copper plated 4's. I concur about the plastic safety button. Sometimes they can be hell to replace but I have done a few of them in the past. The answer is to get an after market steel safety button and switch it out BEFORE the plastic one breaks. I know that you used to be able to order the steel ones but I have not seen any of them lately.

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: Mossberg 500..best home defense shotgun of all time?? [Re: Birdhunter50]
      #257802 - 13/12/14 08:34 AM

Benelli M2...because there is soo much fun.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3516

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com