Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4.
      30/06/10 07:23 PM

Engraving on any firearm is a personal choice and the amount if required at all can be from very plain to lavish.

I have tried to use modest amounts because as they often say “Less is More” and Ron Croxon who performed the tasks could not agree more, we discussed every possibility for each component engraved. Ron was originally going to be trained by the Master Engraver namely Lynton McKenzie, but by the time he was due to start the course the cancer had spread and Lynton’s prodigy Tom Radant took the class, then at another time the Australian engraver Bruce Dean added to the learning experience and showed Ron the more complex techniques needed to do relief work and I think that without doubt Bruce Dean’s work is as good as anything done in the world today and the advice provided should be given serious consideration as there are years of experience behind the answer.

I am not saying that a lavishly engraved rifle is wrong, but it’s not me and for a hunting rifle I believe that I have made the correct choices with a little help.

My instructions to Ron was that I wanted this rifle and the rifle that is on the drawing board to match each other and both, will be a “Keep Sake” for my Son who is also a hunter (time permitting) when I am called to the happy hunting grounds in the sky.

Both rifles will be almost identical except for the caliber and size, so it was essential that whatever we did on one, could be replicated on the second without question. Creating two rifles to “Look a Like” also created additional problems that must be considered and over come before starting.

As both rifles share some common components, namely a “Pistol Grip Cap”, “Cartridge Trap” and “Express Sights” all made by Recknagel, we had some standard sizes to work with but the magazine floor plates are different on the two rifles, in both size and shape.

We decided that the “Pistol Grip Cap” was the ideal place to put my initials as it was one of my “Wants” and although only a small area there was enough room to put three linked letters without being an over kill. The oval area that the cap closes into was given a little “Nick & Dot” border to finish it off.

Next was the “Cartridge Trap” a fairly large area that needed a little some-thing to break up the area so Ron suggested to continue the theme, a “Nick & Dot” border around the outside edge but with a “Scroll” on both ends.

The largest area was the magazine floor plate where we had an idea of engraving an animal’s head but the floor plate design excluded it at a reasonable size so it was decided that the “Nick & Dot” border around the outside edge but with a “Scroll” on both ends would be continued.

The next area that would be the same on both rifles, the “Express Sights” and Ron thought that it would make a real “Classic” look if the yardage was put on each leaf.

The caliber was also engraved onto the barrel just in front of the receiver on the left hand side.

Of course a “Custom Rifle” would not be complete without the manufacturers name so we have placed the maker Alex Beer & Co's name on the top of the barrel between the Quarter Rib and the Front Barrel Banded Sight.

I must add in case you haven’t noticed the “Key” points of the engravings are filled in Gold, my initials, the yardage on the express sights and the caliber, all have had this treatment.

Well now that the engraving is complete, the rifle’s metalwork is now on it’s way back to “Lonnie” for the final touches, then the “Rust Blueing”, the mounting of the scope and then the final adjustments to the completed rifle and then the journey back home to Dubbo, in the Central West of N.S.W. where one very happy and anxious owner is waiting to fit the Ross Waghorn stock.

Once it is finally all together, I will take some photo’s and do a final post on the creation of this, my first “Custom Rifle”

Until Then,

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

Index added by NitroX:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=197432&an=&page=0&vc=1
“Father & Son” through the eyes of ‘Les O’Rourke’s camera'

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=146865&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ 550 Project Begins

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=151868&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ550 Project Continues. Part 2.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=162608&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ550 Project Continues. “The Stock” Part 3.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=163084&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=171461&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ550 Project Continues. " The Final Chapter " Part 5.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=178548&an=&page=0&vc=1
Safari in Africa for “Father” & “Son” Custom CZ550's

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Edited by NitroX (22/12/11 02:24 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. CHAPUISARMES 30/06/10 07:23 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. 4seventy   30/06/10 08:53 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. CptCurlAdministrator   30/06/10 09:16 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. Mike_Bailey   30/06/10 09:41 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. CHAPUISARMES   01/07/10 09:23 AM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. Rule303   01/07/10 11:35 AM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. CHAPUISARMES   01/07/10 05:55 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. Huntersheart   01/07/10 06:28 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. gryphon   01/07/10 07:16 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. tophet1   02/07/10 11:04 AM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. tophet1   02/07/10 11:22 AM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. CHAPUISARMES   02/07/10 12:27 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. CHAPUISARMES   03/07/10 08:39 AM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. AFRO408   03/07/10 03:52 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. TilleyMan   03/07/10 04:21 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. CHAPUISARMES   04/07/10 02:04 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. NitroXAdministrator   22/12/11 02:24 AM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. Ben   30/06/10 07:29 PM
. * * Re: CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4. FATBOY404   30/06/10 08:05 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 9626

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com