Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop
      12/09/18 01:11 PM

WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Gun Shop here in Wisconsin.

Hello All,

This came about yesterday, when a friend called to tell me about an interesting 458 cal. Mauser, with a short barrel, that was for sale at a local Gun Shop. He knew I collected 458's, having 8 in my collection. As you might expect, you don't find many BIG BORE rifles for sale here in Wisconsin. So, I had to go and take a look. ... And, not so much to my surprise, it followed me home; just because I needed another 458. Nine ? ? ?

The rifle was "Made in Belgium" (so marked) with a "Chrome Vanadium Barrel" "cal 458" (so marked) with the typical bunch of Liege Proofs marks scattered about. It was built on a vintage FN barrelled action with all the numbers matching; Receiver, Bolt, Barrel, and Bottom metal; they all matched. It had nearly 98% of its original bright blue finish. It has a very fine Sako Trigger w/ side safety, a nicely checkered Laminated stock with 3 reinforcing cross-bolts, a "White-Line" Mershon Co. recoil pad, a checkered Grip Cap, and an Ebony Forend Tip. The under 20" Barrel was cut-down from some unknown longer length, and nicely crowned, resulting in an overall length of just under 40 inches. It has Sights consisting of a Long-Slide Lyman No. 48 Peep at the rear, and a Gold Bead Ramped Sight at the front, and a filler block in the mid-barrel island where a rear sight could go. It weighs a light 8 pounds 2 ounces, with a 13-1/2" LOP. It holds 3 down, and 1 up. And, ..... if all that wasn't enough, the Reciever, Trigger Guard, and Floor Plate are tastefully "Floral Engraved". All this, for the "walk-out-door" price of only $650. WOW

So here's a question for the Forum members. Any idea who built this rifle? The rear sight filler block has the initials "R.C.P." and ".458". I'm assuming this is the rifle's builder because the man who commissioned this rifle to be custom made (now deceased) doesn't have those initials. I also found "R C Pace" (?) penciled in the barrel channel.

Anyone know of a gunsmith with the initials; "R.C.P." ? ..... Please Help.

As always, your comments are welcome.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop buckstix 12/09/18 01:11 PM
. * * Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop Sarg   12/09/18 03:35 PM
. * * Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop Homer   12/09/18 05:48 PM
. * * Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop DoubleD   12/09/18 10:59 PM
. * * Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop Rothhammer1   13/09/18 05:25 AM
. * * Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop 2152hq   13/09/18 08:55 AM
. * * Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop 008   13/09/18 12:20 PM
. * * Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop buckstix   18/09/18 04:46 AM
. * * Re: WHO MADE THIS RIFLE ? - A Unique 458 found at a local Shop cordite   13/09/18 12:39 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 4484

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com