Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ fiberglass stock repair and question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

csutton7
.275 member

Reged: 17/02/05
Loc: SF, CA
CZ fiberglass stock repair and question
      26/03/05 02:21 AM

ok my Cz 416 rigby that I bought used came with a broken stock and the added lead rattles and clunks--stock was broken at the little crossover pc between the trigger and mag box and upon further inspection the left side of forearm was cracked at the very end of the barrel channel(about 4 inches long)--

so for the crossover I took an 8 penny finish nail and bent into a U shape--I then drilled two holes on both sides of the trigger cutout--holes were about 1" long and drilled from the front of the gun towards the butt--I then mixed up some steel bed and laid some of it in and pushed the nail into the holes and then covered the whole mess with epoxy--not sure a nail is what you guys would use, but it worked out great, as there's not a lot of room there---

at the forearm I drilled 3 holes about 1 1/4 long from the top down into the bottom of the forerm--mixed up some steel bed and took some 2 penny nails and coated the nails with epoxy and pushed them in the holes--

then in the barrel channel made a groove that started in the bottom and curved it up to the top and bent another 8 penny nail to fit the contour---then more steel bed and laid the nail in and covered with more steel bed--

looks like it may have worked--only time will tell--

now for the question--whoever bedded the gun didn't free float the barrel--so should I free float or shoot it and see what happens and then make the decision??--

the barrel F block recoil lug thingy isn't used but the recess was filled with glass bed and formed around the barrel lug part to some degree--I'm not sure how effective it is in its current state--I need to try and figure that out, but should that be free floated or should I add some glass to get it to fit tight if I determine it's useless---if I add glass around the barrel lug then does one free float the barrel just forward or do you float the barrel between the two lugs also??

next will be injecting some foam into the butt to try and get the clunk out of the lead--

you might think I'm nuts--but since the stock wasn't in great shape I figure I'm out nothing if the work I'm doing doesn't work--so why not practice a little----chris

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* CZ fiberglass stock repair and question csutton7 26/03/05 02:21 AM
. * * Re: CZ fiberglass stock repair and question Eric   26/03/05 03:47 AM
. * * Re: CZ fiberglass stock repair and question csutton7   26/03/05 09:31 AM
. * * Re: CZ fiberglass stock repair and question csutton7   26/03/05 12:02 PM
. * * Re: CZ fiberglass stock repair and question csutton7   26/03/05 05:22 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 23 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1579

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com