Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Wooohooo, just shot my two new (old) toys

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
Wooohooo, just shot my two new (old) toys
      28/11/04 01:56 PM

Just got back from the range shooting my new toys.
The first was a BSA Martini in 22 Hornet. I only fired a few shots as the cases were very tight from too high presure. I only used mild loads going by the book ,but I suspect it is due to a tighter .223" barrel. I,m not too worried about the barrel as I will be getting a .10 or .12 cal barrel from Lawrence Rifle Barrels.
Next came the 458 Lott+ in my Brno 602.
I had the reamers custom made to give a longer chamber so that I can use untrimmed 458 Basic brass and 375 brass. The cases I use are 2.870" long ,a bit longer than standard Lott. I can also use any Lott or 458 Watts ammo in the chamber.
The first shots were with some cheap 300gn Taipans with a light load. Then came some full power varmint loads with 300 Barnes spitzers at around 2800fps. These hollow bullets would realy splatter the pigs and dingos
Next the 400 woodleighs at 2250 FPS, will load them up a bit more.
Then came time to try the 500grainers at 2250fps. These got my attention when shooting from the bench.
What suprised me was the accuracy. Most groups were well under an inch at 50 meters ,usualy touching, with a 2.5x scope.
Now for the bad part. I was hoping that the different bullet weights wouldnt impact too far apart ,but not so.
When zeroed for the 300 barnes ,the 400s shot about 6" low at 50 meters and the 500s hit about 8" low.
What I will do is load the 400gn bullets up to 2400 fps ,then reduce the 300s back closer to 2400fps so that they hit the same point as the 400s at 100 meters. I will then see where the 500s and 550 FMJs hit at 50 meters. The presure was not real high so I can boost it up more if need be. Feeding was also a problem sometimes ,so this is going to get some attention.
Overall ,it kicked a bit of course but will be a good fun gun. It certainly gets peoples attention at the range when everyone else thinks of a 300 Win as being a big one.

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Wooohooo, just shot my two new (old) toys cr500 28/11/04 01:56 PM
. * * Re: Wooohooo, just shot my two new (old) toys mikeh416Rigby   29/11/04 02:41 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 1317

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com