Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bigbore you always wanted but never got?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Karl
.275 member

Reged: 28/05/03
Loc: South Pacific
Bigbore you always wanted but never got?
      #326675 - 01/04/19 12:26 AM

Just wondering if anyone has a gun or gun type they always wanted but due to time, lifestyle, finances or even manufacturing difficulties never got around to? Don't everyone say a royal grade double in 577 nitro

One I always wanted was a 'cape gun' in a heavy calibre. This would have been my ultimate man toy, 12ga 3.5" one barrel, and 577 nitro the other. Expensive, difficult or impossible to find makers. I looked at large shotgun conversions, called heym( and then had a siezure at their quote) bothered a few semi- retired bigbore builders over the decades but never pulled it off, or even really found a starting angle I thought would work out.

The other was a double 4 bore percussion muzzleloader, stoked hot with 1750 grain bullets to over 1500fps. There are guys who can do it, reasonably priced too a fraction of a double breechloader. But the issue importing something with 4 bore barrels to Australia by the late 2000's with all the US/Aus import/export whackiness put me off each time. There were 1 or 2 makers here who could do it too, howver they faced the same concern bringing barrels in, which they could not make.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: Karl]
      #326677 - 01/04/19 03:49 AM

1st- a Barret .5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEK7rcqO-Y

And one of these.

https://newatlas.com/l115a3-sniper-rifle-six-kills-one-bullet-afghanistan/31455/

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: DarylS]
      #326691 - 01/04/19 08:39 AM

A genuine Rigby in 350Rigby. Knew a bloke who had one and told him I wanted first refusal but said I could only go to $7000. It was well worn and had a lot of history. I knew I wouldn't get it for that price. The arsehole and he is a dead set arsehole (Not joking about this mongrel) sold it for $3000.

Quite a few others like an L1A1 SLR

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #326693 - 01/04/19 10:36 AM

Quote:

1st- a Barret .5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXEK7rcqO-Y

Man that .Barrett's muzzle break works well...

You should get one Daryl...

Bring it down here..I'll take you to a prairie dog town to practice up with it..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: Ripp]
      #326694 - 01/04/19 11:22 AM

4 Bore British double rifle.........
(Yes, I have fired a 4 Bore; the T. Bland that was Ray Meyers.....it is now in Alaska). Awsome power, fire, and smoke.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

szihn
.400 member

Reged: 24/06/07
Loc: Wind River Valley, Wyoming
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #326697 - 01/04/19 12:20 PM

I have had and owned quite a few, and these days I have only my 9.3s, my 404 Jeffery and my 375H&H. All my 416s 458s, 460s and 50s are now sold or traded off.

I have made a lot of big muzzleloading rifles for men all over America. 8 bores 6 bores 4 bores and one 2 bore.

But for me, I have no desire for anything larger then what I have now. Even my 404 is more gun then I have a real use for anymore. (I just like it, so I have kept it)

However if there was one gun I would like to get it would be a well regulated light weight 9.3X74R double. Something in the 9 pound range or lighter.

The old 9.3X74R may not even be thought of by many as a "big-bore" but for my hunting it is a very good round. I own a Ruger #1 in that chambering, and I have really come to appreciate how well it works on the game I hunt from deer and antelope up through elk and even bison. I am 100% sure it would never leave me wanting.

I would trade a very fancy muzzle-loader for one, ( made to order) if the double was to my liking and didn't need much modification for me to hunt with. Many of those I have handled have stocks too long for me. I use a 13.5" LOP. I can restock one myself, but I do not like the idea of trading for a "project gun" unless the work was something I could do in a few days.

At my age I don't get too excited about theses things anymore. I am not super old, but I am old enough to know I am not likely to be hunting elk in the mountains on foot for another 20-25 years and the rifles I have now cover every base I need to cover, ------ probably X4.

But it is nice to dream.

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: Rule303]
      #326704 - 01/04/19 05:30 PM

Quote:

A genuine Rigby in 350Rigby. Knew a bloke who had one and told him I wanted first refusal but said I could only go to $7000. It was well worn and had a lot of history. I knew I wouldn't get it for that price. The arsehole and he is a dead set arsehole (Not joking about this mongrel) sold it for $3000.

Bet that left you feeling a bit "Battered" Greg?

DC

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #326709 - 01/04/19 10:00 PM

Short wish-list :

- a 7x57 or a 7,65x53 Arg. on an original Mauser Argentino system, made by Mr. Dorleac

- a current Heym Express .505 Gibbs

- an older Heym Express bolt action rifle in 600 NE

- a 13mm TuF Tankgewehr from Mauser

best regards
Rolf

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: Rolf]
      #326743 - 02/04/19 01:25 PM

I'm with Daryl..

Nice .50 cal would be awesome and fun to shoot here in the mtns..

As stated..short list..

505 Gibbs
500 Nitro double
404 Jeffrey

that's it..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (02/04/19 01:25 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #326758 - 02/04/19 05:38 PM

Hi Karl,

Quote:

Loc: "Global Hotspots"

A correct location is a requirement of membership of these forums. Unless the person prior asks for not supplying it on the public forums, and we approve it.

So I will insert "Victoria, Aust" as your location. If not correct, you can change this in ypur own profile.

If there is a good reason why you do not want the location publicly available, please PM me and supply the reason(s).

Quote:

BIO: who GAF about the bio

Well pretty simply the ADMINS GAF about it. It is one way we try to screen out trolls when they apply for membership.

And note, if someone wrote "who GAF about the bio" their membership would be refused .

Working with the NE team and participating constructively on the forums, makes it a great place.

Having said all that ... ... next post ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#326759 - 02/04/19 05:44 PM

Quote:

Just wondering if anyone has a gun or gun type they always wanted but due to time, lifestyle, finances or even manufacturing difficulties never got around to? Don't everyone say a royal grade double in 577 nitro

One I always wanted was a 'cape gun' in a heavy calibre. This would have been my ultimate man toy, 12ga 3.5" one barrel, and 577 nitro the other. Expensive, difficult or impossible to find makers. I looked at large shotgun conversions, called heym( and then had a siezure at their quote) bothered a few semi- retired bigbore builders over the decades but never pulled it off, or even really found a starting angle I thought would work out.

The other was a double 4 bore percussion muzzleloader, stoked hot with 1750 grain bullets to over 1500fps. There are guys who can do it, reasonably priced too a fraction of a double breechloader. But the issue importing something with 4 bore barrels to Australia by the late 2000's with all the US/Aus import/export whackiness put me off each time. There were 1 or 2 makers here who could do it too, howver they faced the same concern bringing barrels in, which they could not make.

In answer to your question.

I posted some images of a cape gun in 12 gauge and .577 LN (light nitro) many years ago, perhaps 2003. It was made on a Greener Empire Shotgun by Ralf Babnick (splg?) then at Century Firearms. The same maker and similar to the fdouble rifle he also made called by Marrakai "the Fat Lady" and now owned by another forum member. It is a double rifle in .577 LN as well.

I contacted Ralf Babnick years ago to see if he would make something similar to me, and he informed me he no longer made such examples. He mentioned the cost was such that buying one from a double rifle maker was reasonable, I'm not sure, as .577 DR's can be quite expensive. I would assume liability and risk might also be an issue for someone making on commission rifles on shotgun actions. Which might also have played a part in his decisions.

I will see if I can find the thread from the past. Maybe give you some ideas.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: NitroX]
      #326760 - 02/04/19 05:56 PM

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....;o=&fpart=1

W.W. Greener shotgun / rifle combo Cape Gun

WW Greener no. 70571 combo 12 bore shotgun by .577 rifle. Originally a 12 ga SxS shotgun, it has been
converted to a Cape gun and is in excellent rebuilt condition. Based on the Empire action with
a new mono block, the work was completed 2 years ago. With 24" barrels with 1 standing rear sight.
Restocked butt and forend with excellent wood.

Weight is 10 lbs, LOP is 14 ¾" over a Silver's pad. DAC is 1 1/8", DAH is 2".

Price US$4,900

Obviously that is a 2004 price.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#326766 - 02/04/19 06:19 PM

Check out Marrakai's links on this thread also:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....SID=#Post326762

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #326768 - 02/04/19 06:46 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Karl, Best Wishes with getting those two firearms.

About the only other rifles I need ...... OK, would like, are as follows;
Winchester 1885 falling block in ? chambering
and
Winchester 1886 Lever Action, in .45-70 ....... or whatever.

They would need to be New and I'm not stuck with them having to be made by Winchester.
Time will tell, but maybe later this year.

By the way, I just got in a new Winchester, Model 1866, Deluxe, Yellow Boy, for a mate/customer today.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!+P
It has dark, but beatifully figured and grained, butt stock and matching forend wood.
The contrast with the Brass receiver, makes you dribble, it's that nice.

D'oh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #326801 - 03/04/19 06:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bet that left you feeling a bit "Battered" Greg?

DC

That it did David.

Karl
.275 member

#326827 - 04/04/19 05:04 PM

Quote:

Hi Karl,

A correct location is a requirement of membership of these forums. Unless the person prior asks for not supplying it on the public forums, and we approve it.

So I will insert "Victoria, Aust" as your location. If not correct, you can change this in ypur own profile.

If there is a good reason why you do not want the location publicly available, please PM me and supply the reason(s).

Well pretty simply the ADMINS GAF about it. It is one way we try to screen out trolls when they apply for membership.

And note, if someone wrote "who GAF about the bio" their membership would be refused .

Working with the NE team and participating constructively on the forums, makes it a great place.

you might want to get onto your NE team regards its screening speed, I have been here for 16 years ago and changed my location to global hotspots probably 6-7 years ago

As to PM, its fine, you raised it here so I'm happy to respond publicly.
At the time I was between several Middle Eastern and African states and aside from the safety issue of not broadcasting my location it also summed up being on the two continents the easiest way.

My situation remains similar however whatever you want to put for my location feel free. Also not sure who you are having the discussion with about the Bio/GAF issue?

Karl
.275 member

#326828 - 04/04/19 05:09 PM

Thanks all for the replies btw, much appreciated!

Karl
.275 member

#326829 - 04/04/19 05:14 PM

Quote:

Short wish-list :

- a 13mm TuF Tankgewehr from Mauser

best regards
Rolf

Rolf, darn you reminded me of two more!. The 13mm was the first anti-tank rifle from memoru, basically a scaled up mauser with a pistol grip? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_1918_T-Gewehr

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#326871 - 06/04/19 02:27 AM

Quote:

you might want to get onto your NE team regards its screening speed, I have been here for 16 years ago and changed my location to global hotspots probably 6-7 years ago

As to PM, its fine, you raised it here so I'm happy to respond publicly.
At the time I was between several Middle Eastern and African states and aside from the safety issue of not broadcasting my location it also summed up being on the two continents the easiest way.

My situation remains similar however whatever you want to put for my location feel free. Also not sure who you are having the discussion with about the Bio/GAF issue?

Hi Karl, as a member from 2003, a long time ago, the location requriement didn't exist then. It is due to laws in Aust, and the admins might be held responsible for certain types of posts in certain states. So if necessary, ... Also laws regarding selling firearms.

As for the BIO, look to your own profile, where you obviously inserted that comment. The BIO requirement came a long time after 2003.

And it hasn't been noticed as you haven't posted for years. Welcome back from your "hotspots".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
      #326903 - 06/04/19 03:41 PM

Quote:

Short wish-list :

best regards
Rolf

isn't the 600 NE by Heym made anymore?

my own wish comes this month

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Karl
.275 member

#326912 - 06/04/19 11:45 PM

Quote:

Hi Karl, as a member from 2003, a long time ago, the location requriement didn't exist then. It is due to laws in Aust, and the admins might be held responsible for certain types of posts in certain states. So if necessary, ... Also laws regarding selling firearms.

I am not aboding in any state if that makes it easy.

As for the BIO, look to your own profile, where you obviously inserted that comment. The BIO requirement came a long time after 2003.

And it hasn't been noticed as you haven't posted for years. Welcome back from your "hotspots".

Nitrox, again, feel free to change the location. Make it the same as the member Lancaster above if you wish," a lighthouse in the middle of..." .Not sure where you gathered I am 'back from hotpots' but thanks for the wlecome. As to what is inserted into the BIO, that has not changed either. Both comments were also a long time ago, but also a long time after 2003, probably 2011 from memory. But as I already said you have my permission, as you offered, to modify personal information fields to suit NE's updated screening requirements.

Karl
.275 member

Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: Homer]
      #326913 - 06/04/19 11:55 PM

Quote:

G'Day Fella's,

Karl, Best Wishes with getting those two firearms.

About the only other rifles I need ...... OK, would like, are as follows;
Winchester 1885 falling block in ? chambering
and
Winchester 1886 Lever Action, in .45-70 ....... or whatever.

They would need to be New and I'm not stuck with them having to be made by Winchester.
Time will tell, but maybe later this year.

By the way, I just got in a new Winchester, Model 1866, Deluxe, Yellow Boy, for a mate/customer today.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Donuts!+P
It has dark, but beatifully figured and grained, butt stock and matching forend wood.
The contrast with the Brass receiver, makes you dribble, it's that nice.

D'oh!
Homer

Thanks Homer,I actually talked to one of the smiths from Century arms back in the day who was doing the big cape guns but by that stage he was semi-retired from memory and wanted double rifle prices.

The double 4 bore I almost lined up with Alan Vaisham in green river rifles in South Australia in about 2001 but he retired soon after. I contacted an American gent about a double 4 about 10 years later, but as I had left Australia permanently for work I was not in regions I could own it. Past dreams only

On lever guns had fleeting interests in a uberti factory 1876 in a 50-95 winchester or a spencer carbine in 56-50( I think...)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #326930 - 07/04/19 04:11 AM

My Uberti m76 in 50/95 top rifle. Taylor's m76 in .46/60, restocked on the bottom.
1st day at the range, I used 75gr. 2F GOEX and a 420gr. FN.(shortened Lyman #515141) and made 2-5-shot groups. Best was almost square 2.4" x 2.65". The second groups not as good, but was long and thin on a diagonal - 1.5" x 3.25". The range was 100 meters.

I now shoot a Lyman #515239 in 368gr. with 52.0gr. N44 for 1,650fps as well as 85gr. Swiss 1 1/2F for 1,580fps. I expect to get on the 1000 meter buffalo with this rifle, this summer. I have a Smith Ladder sight on it now.

I also was thinking of a Spencer Carbine now that brass is available.

Me shooting Taylor's .45/60 after he firelapped it.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #326947 - 07/04/19 08:27 AM

Bugger.....where does one start?
Like asking a kid in a lolly shop!
But if I had to really choose......A good honest working double in 450NE, no frills (well maybe a little light filigree engraving here & there) & yes cased of course.

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
Re: Bigbore you always wanted but never got? [Re: lancaster]
      #326976 - 08/04/19 08:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Short wish-list :
best regards
Rolf

isn't the 600 NE by Heym made anymore?
my own wish comes this month

Okay Lancaster........time to spill the beans - or do we have to wait????

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17480

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com