Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
casper50
.400 member

Reged: 18/10/07
Loc: Alaska
bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday.
      #314123 - 19/03/18 06:26 AM

The father of an aquaintence of my wife's has to sell some of his firearms to help cover cancer surgery. I bought his .378 Weatherby. I haven't taken it out to the range as of yet and it doesn't look as if I'll get there anytime soon. 14" of snow left out there still. I haven't taken any photos as it looks like all the other Mark V's. Have to find some dies and reloading supplies now.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: casper50]
      #314125 - 19/03/18 07:58 AM

I have a German one I had imported from U.S ,In really excellent condition ,haven't had the time to get to use it much, but had two others ,an early German one, and a Accumark I had rebarreled to 378 [from 338378] shot one water buffalo at 200 yards poleaxed him, [and many others ]

casper50
.400 member

Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: 500Boswell]
      #314126 - 19/03/18 08:08 AM

I'm thinking that it might do the same to the moose and brown bears up here.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #314128 - 19/03/18 09:20 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking that it might do the same to the moose and brown bears up here.

Agree..I have a very good friend who has been a Weatherby dealer for the past 40+ years...that caliber is hell on wheels for anything you shoot with it..especially if you use Barnes or Swift A-Frame type bullets..IMHO

I am a big fan of the lighter Weatherby calibers such as the .240, .257 and .300 ...have used them for over 20+ years on different game..great performance..

Enjoy..and post pics when you can..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: Ripp]
      #314148 - 19/03/18 05:24 PM

Ouch.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: NitroX]
      #314362 - 23/03/18 08:58 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Casper50, I bloke I know (Ray G) had a Mk V .378 W/by, and I remember one day years ago now, shooting holes thru various (I can't remember how thick but THICK!) steel plate with it.
It's an incredible cartridge!

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: Homer]
      #314370 - 23/03/18 01:10 PM

A lovely pieceof kit indeed!!!! I had a wonderful .378 20 years ago.... I loved it and I inadvertently killed it using Barnes X Bullets, the original X bullets, NOT the newer better TTSX bullets!!!! The lustrous blueing was incredible - In fact so incredible, it clearly showed the rifling imprints on the OUTSIDE of the barrel after shooting 50 rounds of those hard piece of shit projectiles with no stress relief grooves.

Anyhow, I’ve been waiting for the day I run into another Mark V with the same or better lumber as was on my original .378 and I will buy another......

We all learn from our mistakes,

I found the .378 not to be a hard kicker, but it was a FAST kicker..... The actual recoil energy is nowhere near true big bore Nitro Express cartridge levels, being a medium bore and all, but true to Weatherby form the recoil speed is truly something to be reckoned with. It comes back REALLY FAST and it can put a hurt on you!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: Postman]
      #314371 - 23/03/18 01:40 PM

I dislike that fast, snappy recoil, even from the .300. Maybe that rifle didn't fit me - or maybe I just don't like those WTBY's.
My Vangard .243 is just fine however.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Postman
.375 member

Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: DarylS]
      #314372 - 23/03/18 01:47 PM

Quote:

I dislike that fast, snappy recoil, even from the .300. Maybe that rifle didn't fit me - or maybe I just don't like those WTBY's.
My Vangard .243 is just fine however.

The stock shape is wonderful, but the length of pull leaves about an inch and a half to be desired..... I’m a big guy.... 6’3” with a long gangly neck and long gangly ams.... The short 13.5” LOP butt on the weatherby sucks the big cahuna for my physique, and not the right cahuna that would make things pleasurable when it goes bang!

Edited by Postman (23/03/18 01:50 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #314375 - 23/03/18 05:58 PM

Casper I do not know what the trouble is with not being able to get to the Range. You have a 378 Weatherby. Fire one or 2 shots at most just above the snow and there wont be any snow left.

Very good and well made rifles the MKV.

casper50
.400 member

Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: Rule303]
      #314387 - 23/03/18 08:27 PM

The snow is melting. Unfortuneately I have rotator cuff surgery next Friday. Which means it will sit in the safe for some time before I get to shoot it.

50Calshtr
.300 member

Reged: 01/11/05
Loc: Southeast Georgia
      #314399 - 24/03/18 02:35 AM

Casper, Shoot that puppy from the other side! I had right shoulder surgery about three weeks before my 577 double showed up. With my arm in a sling I took it to the range and had a buddy hold the forend while I shot it left handed. I lasted 6-8 shots, he fired it twice and we brought home half a box of unfired ammo. I spent the next 3 days in a pain-med induced haze but it was worth it---I think. Good luck on the surgery and do the pt as hard as you can, it hurts like hell but is worth it.
Best.

casper50
.400 member

Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: 50Calshtr]
      #314409 - 24/03/18 07:49 AM

I recently acquired a Lead Sled and the surgery is on the non firing shoulder so hopefully I can pull a trigger or two by late summer. Just in time to sight in for moose season.

Postman
.375 member

#314412 - 24/03/18 08:55 AM

Careful with too much weight on that lead sled.... It wouldnt be the first time someone broke the pretty Weatherby lumber in a lead sled.....A hunting buddy of mine broke two!!!

casper50
.400 member

#314423 - 24/03/18 05:10 PM

I knew of that happening. I borrowed it last fall to shoot my new to me 500 #2 double rifle by Westley Richards. I put no weight on it at all. I did not want to risk that wood.

mckinney
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/09
Loc: usa
      #314439 - 25/03/18 02:40 AM

I used to shoot with a tall lanky guy years ago. At that time he had two Browning safaris in .375 and .458 but earlier he'd experimented with Wearherby cartridges. He pinched a nerve in his neck firing the .378 and spoke of Weatherby rifles as having 'faster', stabbing recoil. I had a .300 weatherby at one time and felt the same way. I think it comes down to the weight of the rifles. No doubt the .378 is a teeth rattler in the stock rifle. It might be tolerable in a 10.5 pound well fitted rifle, but I prefer the slower stuff.

Postman
.375 member

Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: mckinney]
      #314442 - 25/03/18 03:22 AM

Quote:

I used to shoot with a tall lanky guy years ago. At that time he had two Browning safaris in .375 and .458 but earlier he'd experimented with Wearherby cartridges. He pinched a nerve in his neck firing the .378 and spoke of Weatherby rifles as having 'faster', stabbing recoil. I had a .300 weatherby at one time and felt the same way. I think it comes down to the weight of the rifles. No doubt the .378 is a teeth rattler in the stock rifle. It might be tolerable in a 10.5 pound well fitted rifle, but I prefer the slower stuff.

Recoil velocity is absolutely a real and measurable metric.

The .378 is NOT a heavy kicker measured in foot pounds, but it DOES come back fast! Keep in mind that it is only a medium bore and simply does not have the juice to be heavy as, say for example a 500 Nitro Express pushing a 570 grain bullet as measured in foot pounds.....

A 500 Nitro won’t come back as fast, but holy shit batman, it IS heavy and will kick the snot out of you.
A 300 grain bullet is always a 300 grain bullet and has only so much mass but the Weatherby will give you a quick stab. I notice this phenomenon even with my .257 Weatherby shooting miniscule 100 or 115 grain bullets, and I must admit, I am fairly recoil insensitive.

Maybe it is the speed of the recoil impulse plus the shape of the Weatherby stock that assists with shearing off of the Weatherby lumber at the wrist in a lead sled. I like wearing a Past Recoil pad at the bench and avoid the lead sled entirely no matter what I am shooting.

Edited by Postman (25/03/18 03:24 AM)

casper50
.400 member

#314443 - 25/03/18 03:51 AM

I'm going to stick with 270 grains now and maybe 260's.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #314444 - 25/03/18 05:29 AM

Good luck with the surgery, Casper - your physiotherapist knows best - also follow your Surgeon on when you can shoot or not shoot. It would be an expensive shame to bugger it up.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: DarylS]
      #314448 - 25/03/18 07:43 AM

These .378s, 500Nitro, 577nitros etc. are not for everyone. They are wonderful cartridges for the intented purpose but they are not for plinking where one shoot 40-80 rounds at cokecans, TVs etc. They are serious calibers and there must be a reason why used guns in these calibers are found with good bores...:-)

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: rigbymauser]
      #314450 - 25/03/18 08:35 AM

They are made for a specific purpose ,Big Game Hunting ,where not many shots at a time are going to be fired ,unless you are culling ,there's a lot of BS over the years about them about how much they kick etc ,and staged photos of the ''chosen'' firing them with barrels going near vertical ,and one Australian magazine about the 338 Win mag years ago stating ''The 338 Winchester magnum is only for people who know how to use it, and others have no business using it '' ,I would hardly call the 338 a hard kicker ,just rubbish ,a lot of hype ,when I first fired a 404 and a 458 win mag I was surprised how they didn't really kick that bad, the hype you read about big bores .

Postman
.375 member

Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: 500Boswell]
      #314453 - 25/03/18 01:46 PM

Quote:

They are made for a specific purpose ,Big Game Hunting ,where not many shots at a time are going to be fired ,unless you are culling ,there's a lot of BS over the years about them about how much they kick etc ,and staged photos of the ''chosen'' firing them with barrels going near vertical ,and one Australian magazine about the 338 Win mag years ago stating ''The 338 Winchester magnum is only for people who know how to use it, and others have no business using it '' ,I would hardly call the 338 a hard kicker ,just rubbish ,a lot of hype ,when I first fired a 404 and a 458 win mag I was surprised how they didn't really kick that bad, the hype you read about big bores .

Yes, Agreed....

However, I do fire my rifles a lot, whether it be my 500NE or my .308...... the limiting factor for me is the fear of wearing out a very expensive double rifle bore, otherwise I wouldnt be so restrained as to round count through a given piece. Recoil or fear thereof is not even a remote factor......and yes,there is much bullshit about the fierceness of recoil. Wear a sissy pad and practice lots.... you wont notice recoil when staring down your cape buffalo.....

Edited by Postman (25/03/18 01:51 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #314459 - 25/03/18 04:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, Agreed....

However, I do fire my rifles a lot, whether it be my 500NE or my .308...... the limiting factor for me is the fear of wearing out a very expensive double rifle bore, otherwise I wouldnt be so restrained as to round count through a given piece. Recoil or fear thereof is not even a remote factor......and yes,there is much bullshit about the fierceness of recoil. Wear a sissy pad and practice lots.... you wont notice recoil when staring down your cape buffalo.....

Ain't that the truth.

casper50
.400 member

Re: bought a Weatherby .378 Mark V yesterday. [Re: Rule303]
      #314461 - 25/03/18 05:09 PM

Yeah my .404 is nothing like everyone says it should be. I've seen a few videos on YouTube of the .378. The first one I watched the guy had to take a step back, all of the others including some from a bench didn't look bad at all.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #314546 - 27/03/18 01:26 PM

Haha, lots of rubbish being written as if recoil doesn't exist and isn't a real factor.

Recoil is relevant both to the calibre and to the individual person. Plus the situation.

1. A formula exists where the weight of the rifle, the weight of the powder cahrge, projectile, and velocity creates two recoil numbers, recoil energy and recoil velocity. They are scientific facts. The more of each, the more it will hurt or be felt.

2. Stock shape can have an effect in how recoil energy and velocity is directed. A bad stock, will hurt more.

3. Each individual will handle it different, and over time possibly differently. I started with a .222 then a .30-06. I didn't like the .30-06's recoil. I was sixteen or so. Later got a .375, the .30 no longer bothered me, the .375 really hurt. I did end up one day shooting 30 or 40 rounds at a target in summer with just a light shirt on, from the bench. I ended up with a black, ie actual solid black fist sized bruise on my shoulder. I remember at the end each shot used to hurt to the tip of my finger tips. Then I got a .450 and the .375 no longer hurt anymore or not as much. etc etc.

Smaller persons will feel recoil more. Larger person in theory less. Lighter framed persons generally more, etc. But not this is not consistent. It depends on the individual.

4. The situation. Shooting from a bench, ouch! Shooting a charging buffalo, "what recoil!". A lot of it is mental and of course physical as a result. If you expect recoil, your body is tenser and the recoil encounters a solid muscle mass, not a flexible backstop which moves with the recoil.

BTW I have ended up with the barrel of my rifles near vertical on some shots. Others not at all. It depends on the calibre AND on the situation. One time I remember shooting a running pig crossing in front of me. I was sitting in the front seat of a jeep. My body position probably effect how the barrel snapped. The recoil was there, but not a problem as I was concentrating on the running shot.

Enough on recoil.

Caspar, enjoy your new rifle. The .378 may be a "medium" calibre but it does recoil. I'd be doing any range shooting from a standing rest. Same as I do for my .375 and larger.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7649

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com