Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles
      #156215 - 12/03/10 05:00 AM

Petzal: Building a Big Bore Rifle
by David E. Petzal
February 17, 2010
(c) 2010 Field & Stream, used with permission

While cruising the aisles at the SCI Convention and suffering from Fine Rifle Burnout, I spotted something truly different at Booth 744—the stopping rifles built by Ryan Breeding. African stopping rifles are used on buffalo and elephant, and are designed to either save your ass when you are in bad trouble, or to keep you out of it. Mr. Breeding specializes in them. He will build you a rifle in any caliber you want, but his real forte is .40-caliber on up. Way up.

Ryan Breeding learned his craft from a gunmaker named Gil Van Horn, who specialized in big guns during the second half of the last century, and taught him that building a good one meant more than simply clapping a massive barrel into a massive action. The rifle you see here is a .505 Gibbs; 600-grain bullets at 2,350 fps and 93 foot pounds of recoil, which is nearly double the kick of a .458. When you subject a rifle to this kind of strain, terrible things happen to it, and Ryan Breeding goes to considerable pains to prevent them. And he does so with artistry.

In bare terms, this rifle is a .505 Gibbs, built on a Granite Mountain bolt-action, Turkish walnut stock, a 22-inch Pac-Nor barrel, and a weight of 12 pounds. Breeding himself made the trigger, the rear sight, and the front sight. The rifle holds five cartridges, one up and four down. There is a trap under the pistol grip cap for an alternate front-sight bead and an Allen wrench to install it.

Because there is nothing more embarrassing than having your floorplate pop open and dump all your cartridges, Breeding has installed a plunger-operated lock on the floorplate release button. You have to press on it, hard, to work the release.

Because the front sight hoods (even those with detents) come flying off their ramps under heavy recoil, Breeding built a hood that is catch-operated and pivots 90 degrees around a steel pin. It locks in place in both positions.

Because many express sights come with multiple leaves (which are useless; you need only one) and adjust via banging with a hard object, Breeding builds a one-leaf sight that is screw-adjusted and locks in place when set.

What he does not build are the Talley QD mounts that come with the rifle. This says a great deal about Talley mounts.

Breeding can build you a stock in fiberglass or Turkish walnut. He makes right-hand guns or left, all sorts of options, and his work is immaculate. More important: When building monster rifles like this, it takes a high degree of artistry to keep the gun from looking like a club. Breeding is a master of this. With all respect to the many wonderful gunmakers out there, when it comes to these brutes, he does about the best work I’ve ever seen. Rbbigbores.com

Original article here: http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nut/2010/02/petzal-building-big-bore-rifle

Ryan Breeding's website: www.rbbigbores.com

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: 500grains]
      #156244 - 12/03/10 08:47 AM

Now that's nice!
It's not hard to spot the Van Horn influence, especially with the stock design and the rear sight island. The rear sight itself is similar to the Van Horn style as well.
A very "purpose built" dangerous game rifle, and very well executed.

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: 4seventy]
      #156257 - 12/03/10 01:06 PM

The stock is not as trim as I would like, but the special touches with the sights, hood, etc. are nice.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #156276 - 12/03/10 05:56 PM

Beautiful work,however the rear sight island to me looks big and bulky,why is it so necessary to have such a mountain of metal there?

Foresight doesn't get to me either,the rest of that rifle appears exquisite.

The side view of the full rifle suggests to me that the aesthetic balance is undone by these great works of metal.

Sort of top heavy to my mind

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: gryphon]
      #156345 - 13/03/10 07:30 AM

Excellent and beautiful rifle.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

CHIP
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/07
Loc: TUCSON, AZ
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: ovny]
      #157108 - 22/03/10 10:08 AM

I went to SCI in 2009, and visited Ryan Breedings booth. What had peeked my interest regarding these Breeding Rifles was what I read on this Forum as well as the competing Forum. I should say that the comments of 500 Grains influenced me greatly in my decision on a Big Bore purchase. I sent my deposit to Ryan Breeding for a .505 Gibbs Rifle in February of 2009. I think I should probably see the Rifle within a year....and needless to say, I am becoming excited. The Rifle is set to be a little bit on the heavy side at 12+ pounds without the Swarovski Long Eye Relief Scope. It will have Smithson Scope Mounts and a 24" barrel. Now only waiting for my birthday and Christmas all rolled into one!

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: CHIP]
      #157113 - 22/03/10 11:39 AM

Welcome to NE CHIP. Make sure you post a full report when you get her home.

CHIP
.224 member

Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: tophet1]
      #185776 - 14/07/11 05:16 AM

My .505 Gibbs has arrived. I have not shot it yet, but plan to shortly. It turned out very nicely.

Edited by CptCurl (17/07/11 09:33 PM)

PHMadness
.275 member

Reged: 26/05/11
Loc: Seattle, WA
      #185781 - 14/07/11 07:12 AM

That rifle is gorgeous. One of the best looking pieces of lumber I have seen in a long time.

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: PHMadness]
      #185786 - 14/07/11 08:41 AM

Chip, you sure have good taste! That is really nice. Have fun!

CHIP
.224 member

Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: Ben]
      #188040 - 17/08/11 12:28 PM

I had the .505 Gibbs Rifle out to the range this last Sunday, and found it to be extremely accurate out to 50 yards. The recoil got my attention, but I came through the session without any detached retinas, dislocated shoulders, etc. I own an AHR built .600 OK Rifle that weighs 13.5 lbs. I would rate the recoil of the .505 Gibbs, (which weighs 13 lbs. 2 ozs. with the scope), to be similar to the .600 OK when the X-brake is installed. We used Norma factory ammunition loaded with 600 Grain FMJ bullets. I think the stated MV with this ammunition is about 2100 FPS. In this session, I did not have a chronograph with me. My buddy's 14 year old son was with us at this session. Despite the fact that I told him that I would kick his ass if he dropped the rifle upon shooting it.....he insisted upon doing this. To my relief, he came through with flying colors after shooting it twice. I've posted a couple more pictures showing the rifle in a little bit more detail.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #188041 - 17/08/11 12:45 PM

very, very nice.

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: kamilaroi]
      #188044 - 17/08/11 04:04 PM

Now that is a beautifully finished DG rifle that looks as if it means business. Yes the rear sight ramp is big but I think it balances nicely with the front sight and the scope mounts which all compliment the rest of the rifle in size and sturdiness. Really dig the the straight tubed scope too. Hope you get years of enjoyment from the big fella.

buckbrush
.300 member

Reged: 23/08/07
Loc: Alberta
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: eagle27]
      #188099 - 18/08/11 10:54 AM

very nice work, the stock style (English modern classic) does not fit me very well so I prefer a Rigby type stock.

bigdog
.375 member

Reged: 05/02/06
Loc: Southern Illinois
Re: article about Ryan Breeding custom bolt rifles [Re: buckbrush]
      #188188 - 20/08/11 01:14 AM

Nice work and beautiful wood. I wish it were mine!!

--------------------
Kyle, I love you buddy, Dad

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10745

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com