Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .375 Lite and Heavy

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
.375 Lite and Heavy
      #108884 - 04/07/08 02:22 AM

While my son is away in California fighting fire, I thought I'd get the .375 ready for him before he returns. He's been wanting to use it for deer/elk but it was wearing a muzzle brake and he HATES the brake. I had it stuck on some years ago when I had the rifle reblued and more or less rebuilt as it was in sad shape, beat-up and all the bluing gone. The brake got me thru a time of some physical ailments effecting my neck and shoulder, but those are improving and with the kid's demand for removal of the Cheese Grater, I pulled it.

Rifle is a SAKO left hand in .375 Holland and Holland Magnum caliber, with Leupold 4X M8 scope in EAW mounts.

With the brake removed, the rifle needed to be completely resighted, as when the brake is removed, my standby Hornady 300's at 2450 fps print about 12 inches low at 100 meters.

Resighting the rifle, I put them 1 inch high at 100 meters from sitting.

Incidently, I played around with that Lead Sled and that thing had them about 2 inches lower than I shoot them from sitting on the ground. I guess the sled would be OK for rough sighting, but on this gun it does not match my zero using a field position {sitting, elbows on knees}.

I also worked up what I think is an interesting companion load, the Hornady 220 grain Flat Point running along at and equal 2450, this using AA5744 powder. It prints a bit high as you can see in the groups accompanying. Such a load is equal to a heavy-bullet .30-06 and is much cheaper to shoot and for deer and elk, sufficient.

You guys that actually know how to shoot will have to excuse my shooting, but here it is:

These were groups I fired from sitting position, elbows resting on knees, no other rest, first from 100 meters:

Then from 200 yards, also from sitting, elbows on knees. I figured the 300's would fall low so to keep them in the chest I held for the point of the Facing Deer's nose. The 220's appear to be about dead on at this range, from the field shooting position anyhow. Holding for the hairline on a deer's back would make a dead dear with the 300's and holding dead-on ditto with the 220's.

Well, there it is, ready for the kid to settle it in for himself.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9ThreeXFifty7 (04/07/08 02:37 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
Re: .375 Lite and Heavy [Re: 9.3x57]
      #108903 - 04/07/08 07:21 AM

Nice shooting! I settled for the 250g Swift A-Frames at 2810 fps for my deer and elk load. Good to hear your feeling better! We drew the early (draw only) rifle season for elk (myself and my two sons) in Gunnison. Hopefully we'll bring back an elk or two in October.

Chuck

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: .375 Lite and Heavy [Re: chuck375]
      #108907 - 04/07/08 08:18 AM

Great stuff-

I'm sure once your son's through with the hour-long soak, a couple courses of Mother's good cooking, and about ten hours in his own bed, he'll be up to beat dawn with that rifle.

Way to go.
That should take California black bear no problem!
Are those the QD mounts?
It appears there are still iron sights on that rifle...

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: .375 Lite and Heavy [Re: tinker]
      #108914 - 04/07/08 11:40 AM

Thanks.

The 220 FP's are practical, if not sterling accurate '06-equivalents. All I need, truth be told.

The rifle was a replacement from the dealer for a Heym SR20 that had a litany of ills. I bought it from Paul Jaeger after they moved to TN. I had sights put on it. This was back in 1987 or so.

The EAW mounts are the QD swing-off type. Why they used EAW and not the simpler SAKO mounts I didn't know enough to ask then and it still leaves me head-scratching now. The front sight got broke off at some point {don't they all?}. I forged and filed a replacement front from a 20D nail, and cut a large square notch in the rear.

The bluing wore off over time and use {...abuse...}. After one hunt, the thing was sad enough that I literally held it by the sling and turned the garden hose on it...full blast. That is the truth. A buddy of mine can attest, since it was getting his elk out that made the thing such a mess.

The scope has held up fine, tho I'm one that likes magnification and when it dies I might replace it with a 3x9 of some sort. The rifle reblued now doesn't look too bad. It won't hold groups like it used to, or maybe I won't hold groups like I used to and blaming the rifle comes easier, but it has had several thousand bullets put thru its tube so it makes the excuse easier to sell. I have some groups shot from the bench at 200 yards that go 7/8 inch center-to-center for three shots. I KNOW I can't do that now so I'll pass the buck.

I hated the styling of it when I got it, but the thing has grown on me over the years and critters, and I like it. The stock design is a strange one in a way, but actually comes fairly close to that designed by Elmer for his .333. It sure feels good, especially from standing with the high scope.

I am known to sell anything, as I don't get too attached to things, but the day my kid calls me to tell me he just had the old SAKO reblued for the second time is a day I'll not forget. God made him right-handed, but left-eye dominant, just so's he could properly inherit the old gun I reckon.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2090

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com