Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Targets for express sights

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Targets for express sights
      #67918 - 23/12/06 07:04 PM

These are typical 'two quick ones' from a cold barrel with my .458 Whitworth since I got it's issues sorted.

This target was shot at 100yd a few days ago while I was making sight adjustments, running 350gr snrn at somewhere around 2550fps
The tape at nine, twelve, and three o'clock were sighting indicators, the front sight post almost completely obscured the black.

Standard targets are a bitch to see consistently for accuracy testing, the black dashes help.

What do you do for target images when shooting for accuracy over express sights?
I've been thinking reversing the black/white so the center is white -- might make it easier to make out the placement of the sight on the target center.

Got any good examples?
I plan to take this load out and regulate the 200 and 300 sight leaves to it once I finish the front sight elevation adjustment and tap the rear sight over a smidge and stake it's position

--Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Targets for express sights [Re: tinker]
      #67923 - 23/12/06 08:31 PM

Tinker

Dude, that's not bad at all. Do you go to Chabot to shoot? I've recently picked up a Whitworth 458 WinMag from an AR member and haven't done anything with it yet. I'll be glass-bedding it and maybe adding an extra lug and/or cross-bolt on it along with refinishing it.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

tinker
.416 member

Re: Targets for express sights [Re: 475Guy]
      #67944 - 24/12/06 03:50 AM

That target was printed at Davis St, I do most of my shooting at a private ranch.
It's been a couple of years since I've been to Chabot but I've been going there for years, it's nice out there

My Whitworth needed a lot of work to get shooting right.
It *needed* the rear cross-bolt and I strongly suggest you add one to your rifle.
The front sight popped the head of one of it's screws off, the whole thing got replaced with a NECG universal banded system which works great, really a nice setup there.
My muzzle needed a bit of work, the rifling lands were burred and bruised from the factory crown effort, fixed that with a recessed crown job.
The only bedding from the factory, at the barrel recoil lug, was just plain wrong and had to go, the full bedding job which followed made a huge difference and I strongly suggest you do the through bolt and bedding before you shoot it.
You can get the devcon 10110 steel epoxy off the web from numerous sources. I think the kit I got was a One Pound kit. Get it and don't look back. Great stuff.

I'll likely refinish the wood too. not till I get a storage-trap grip cap for it.

There I'd just about be able to call it done.

It's accurate. That load will likely be the thing for the 300yd leaf.
I just want to set up with proper targets for the sight regulation work. Gotta be able to see what I'm doing...

--Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #67945 - 24/12/06 04:16 AM

I use red squares, and vary the size for scope use or iron sights, distance etc.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Re: Targets for express sights [Re: NitroX]
      #67952 - 24/12/06 05:24 AM

John-

Do you get good enough contrast out at 300yd for use with Irons?

What color background?

--Tinker

--------------------

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #67979 - 24/12/06 02:16 PM

Tinker:
Everyone I know uses the ISSF 25m/50m Pistol Target or equivalent. It has a 20cm or 8-inch black bulls-eye on a large white target about 55cm square, but an A3 copy of the middle part works fine. I re-use club targets shot with .22 pistols, as the holes I make are usually easily distinguished from a .22 impact! This one has a couple of rights and lefts from a Wm Griffiths 12-bore:

The Big Game Rifle Club also use this target for most of its matches in State and National Championships.

It is perfect for a round bead front sight at 50 and 100 yards.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #68003 - 24/12/06 07:04 PM

Quote:

John-

Do you get good enough contrast out at 300yd for use with Irons?

What color background?

--Tinker

Ha ha. I don't shoot irons at 300 yards!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Re: Targets for express sights [Re: NitroX]
      #68031 - 25/12/06 06:08 AM

See John, that's part of the challenge.

I can and do shoot well with irons, three hundred yards isn't very easy, but I know I can do it with express sights.

What I want though is to have targets that make sight regulation as easy and repeatable as can be.
The target shown above is close to 'really good'
The horizontal lines at nine and three o'clock and the vertical line at twelve work very well to refrence the bead.
I think that using a black background with a white 'dot' big enough to show juuuust a ring of white around the front sight (which is black with a red fiber optic rod) to repeatably show where the front sight's sitting on target might be my next step in getting closer to an ideal target.

I do like a challenge.
Practice at 300yd with irons is a bit of a challenge.
With practice shooting game with an accurate rifle at 300yd over irons is practical.

--Tinker

--------------------

Dave_Hall
.300 member

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: PA. ,U.S.A.
      #68043 - 25/12/06 10:05 AM

I'm good with open sights and I prefer using them to any scope.I practice all the time with my NEF 45-70.I can hit a 8" shoot-n-see at 200 yds. almost every shot I sling at it.If it was a deer size target it would be every time.Where I hunt in PA if I can hit an 8" target at a 100 with open sights I never need to buy a scope.Most people think its easy to use open sights until they go to try it.At long distances I like using the biggest shoot n see type targets I can find.It make it easy to see with the bino's ,or a buddy with a scope from the bench.Dave

--------------------
The Great .458
45-90 WCF
45-120 Sharps
450 Nitro Express
2011 Ruger SP-101 4.2" 357 MAG.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #68086 - 26/12/06 07:24 AM

Tinker, the 300 yard or meter full-bore competition target is useable for irons out to that range. I have used 12" square painted black sheets of paper to 450 yards with the buffalo rifle to good effect.
: I use old forestry maps (reversed) for the backing.
: It is amazing what one can do at long range with iron sights, if one had the audacity to practise at long range.
: At 300 meters (328yards) at the local range, the 2/3rds size ram was a 5 for 5 offhand with all shots striking in an 8" circle. This would have been A-OK on 5 moose at that range, considering the .375 H&H Ruger #1 I was using. On the other hand,it was practise only. My personal range limit on moose is much closer. Too many bad things can happen as the trigger is being sqeezed - wind, movement, other animals not observed, etc.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
Re: Targets for express sights [Re: DarylS]
      #68106 - 26/12/06 04:16 PM

Good enough for sheep as well Daryl.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

Bill_Cooley
.300 member

Reged: 14/12/06
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas
      #68415 - 31/12/06 01:37 PM

Quote:

These are typical 'two quick ones' from a cold barrel with my .458 Whitworth since I got it's issues sorted.

This target was shot at 100yd a few days ago while I was making sight adjustments, running 350gr snrn at somewhere around 2550fps
The tape at nine, twelve, and three o'clock were sighting indicators, the front sight post almost completely obscured the black.

Standard targets are a bitch to see consistently for accuracy testing, the black dashes help.

What do you do for target images when shooting for accuracy over express sights?
I've been thinking reversing the black/white so the center is white -- might make it easier to make out the placement of the sight on the target center.

Got any good examples?
I plan to take this load out and regulate the 200 and 300 sight leaves to it once I finish the front sight elevation adjustment and tap the rear sight over a smidge and stake it's position
--Tinker

Good shooting Tinker. Have you tried using a 6:00 hold? I find this gives good contrast.
Bill

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2492

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com