Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ 550 or Ruger No.1

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Scartozi
.275 member

Reged: 14/03/04
Loc: Columbus Ohio, USA
CZ 550 or Ruger No.1
      #12151 - 22/03/04 11:01 AM

I would like to know if any of you have the CZ 550 in 458 lott? If so, how does it perform, any trouble?...ectracting, missfiring? What have any of you heard about this rifle?

I know that I'm comparing a single shot(ruger no.1) with a bolt action but in your opinions which one do you think would be a better choice?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: CZ 550 or Ruger No.1 [Re: Scartozi]
      #12152 - 22/03/04 11:51 AM

There have been problems with CZ's in the bigger calibers in that quite a few would have their stock crack. The fix is to have it pillar bedded and glass bedded with cross bolts put in before glassing. It's a lot of work to put in before shooting it. Not to mention you have to wait several weeks to months to get it back.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #12156 - 22/03/04 01:43 PM

475 is right about re-bedding them. Glassing seems to be all that is necessary.

I took my first cape buffalo with a CZ550 in 416 Rigby and liked the gun. The factory repair station in Kansas had to replace the first stock...cracked...

I like to buy our American made firearms in the interest of keeping the manufacturers prosperous and thriving, but do like the CZ for the money.

Save up a bit more and get the Ruger RSM...it is a Classy rifle and strong!

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

475Guy
.400 member

Re: CZ 550 or Ruger No.1 [Re: luv2safari]
      #12159 - 22/03/04 02:20 PM

L2S, I'm glad you said that instead of me. I've been harping on RSM's for quite a bit and decided to tone it down a bit. On another forum, these guys would ask about rifles in different makes and they always chose the cheap route and had to spend big amounts of money and time to make the CZ into something that it should already be. Hell, one guy even got a brand new Winjammer and had more problems than BigIron did.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

475Guy
.400 member

#12171 - 22/03/04 03:55 PM

Scar, I don't think you would go wrong if you waited and saved up some money to get a Ruger RSM in the 458 Lott. It comes in the complete package with beautiful wood that won't split, accuracy right out of the box, the quarter rib with the leaf sights, the barrel band, and most important of all a very decent trigger. All of mine have 3 1/4# to 3 1/2# trigger pulls. Of course, some have had different results with theirs. But in my experience, with the NEW RSM's, you'll get what I described in the body of the post. If you shop around, you can probably pick one up for around $1200. I paid a bit more for mine as I had them go through the stuff in stock for the best wood and best trigger.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Scartozi
.275 member

Re: CZ 550 or Ruger No.1 [Re: 475Guy]
      #12222 - 23/03/04 08:39 AM

I agree with you guys. I think I'll just save up and get the RSM, espically if I can pick one up for 1200.00. I have a guy here that I order all my guns from and he gives me some great prices, I think I'll call him tomorrow.

Do any of you have pics of your RSM's??

Scartozi
.275 member

#12226 - 23/03/04 09:11 AM

I just called a couple of places here and they can't get any RSM right now. I'll call around tomorrow (most places are closed today) If any of you guys know where to get one at a good price please let me know.

475Guy
.400 member

#12238 - 23/03/04 10:53 AM

An RSM is a very hot item in 458 Lott right now. Wait a bit and they will go through the pipeline. In fact, I'd just go down to your favorite gun guy and give him a deposit to show that you're serious about getting one. Just have him put in an order for one of the very next ones.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Elias
.224 member

Reged: 23/03/04
Loc: Finland
      #12314 - 24/03/04 07:14 AM

I was in the same situation wile ago,I have Ruger#1 in 45-70.
My "mainrifle" is Sako 30-06,I hunt moose,also bear.I have taken down mooses with both..ok but the bear,I consider 30-06 light for bear...45-70 is singleshot..the day I face a bear, I want to have a strong hunting rifle in my hands,and the possibility for the second shot fast...if it needs. If I were you,I would take the Cz 550. I have now the Cz 550 in 375H&H cal,it took me long time to deside the caliber,even it was clear for me all the time,I went thru all alternatives,use,circumstances here..375 was my choise.Im sure I dont regret that.

Elias

--------------------
As long thers lead in the air,thers hope.

AdamTayler
.375 member

Reged: 22/03/04
Loc: B.C.
      #12432 - 25/03/04 04:31 PM

I went to gun show last weekend looking for a #1 in 375 H&H but instead picked up a Brno 602 in the same calibre. I stopped on the way hope to shoot it and I love it. It feeds well, fits well and doesn't kick (it is more like a push). A couple of guides I know say it is a great gun. One of them had a custom rifle made with a 602 action in 458 Win Mag. I do not know but I would guess it would not be that difficult to convert a Win Mag to a Lott.

--------------------
It's the journey, not the destination.

luv2safari
.400 member

Re: CZ 550 or Ruger No.1 [Re: AdamTayler]
      #12440 - 25/03/04 06:08 PM

That's all CZ did recently. They rechambered a bunch of their 458 Wins to 458 Lott and XXXed out the Win and added Lott to the barrels.

The 602 is a great rifle!

--------------------

475Guy
.400 member

Re: CZ 550 or Ruger No.1 [Re: Elias]
      #12456 - 26/03/04 03:13 AM

Elias, how many rounds of full-powered ammo have you shot in your 375? I'm curious as I'd like to know the thresh-hold of the CZ stocks as to which calibers will cause the stocks to crack at the wrist and at the mag well. I know that 416 and above will do that within 60-100 rounds. I do love the 375 as I've got almost as many 375's as I've got 45-70's. If the CZ 375 is holding up well with more than 2-300 rounds and hasn't cracked the stock yet, I just might get one just for shits and grins.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Elias
.224 member

#12468 - 26/03/04 05:43 AM

475guy
I have had this 375 for two months now shooten less than 100 rounds(its winter here and bloody cold) but I will start now to develop a powerfull hunting load and practising load.
I was curious of the same matter,is the stock strong enough??
I discussed this matter with one gunsmith who is wery familiar with 550..he said that stocks lasts..but I must be sure that bolts are tight..When I got the rifle,I took it apart ammidiately and checked how it is bedded..do I need to rebed it by using composite.. You are right,the stock is the question??And what is the strenght and quality of the wood,is it good/strong wood.Then I thought..what a heck..lets see,if it breacks,I will get a proper one...
I have noticed that some shooters have had problems with the stocks...personally I consider the stock..not so strong..and will follow it with care.

Elias

--------------------

Scartozi
.275 member

#12479 - 26/03/04 09:09 AM

475Guy,
I did contact my "gun guy" and he can get me a RSM for 1300.00, he did say that it is a hard to get item. I also placed an order for a ruger no.1 in 458 lott (blued) Man this was a pain. On Ruger's website they showed the no.1 in a blued 458 lott but no gun dealers around here even showed it being available, they said that they could get me the stainless. So after calling Ruger I found out that the blued no.1's in 458 lott are not scheduled for production until May, I hait waiting!!!

Now I have to choose between the RSM or No.1, I have had a few no.1's and love'em. My dealer did tell me that he could get the no.1 for about 670.00, not bad at all. There are a few gun stores around here that want up to 910.00 dollars for one.....I think they've been hitting the crack pipe a little to much.

475Guy
.400 member

#12480 - 26/03/04 09:45 AM

Hey, $1300 ain't too bad considering $1700-$1800 for scalper's prices. I believe retail is $1500 +/-. It depends on whether you really want the RSM badly enough to wait or to just settle for a No.1. You know that you'll be thinking of an RSM if you have the No.1 and besides if you spend the money on a No.1, you'd been half way to an RSM anyways. Have patience and just wait, it'll be worth it. Years ago, right after Dirty Harry made the Model 29 w/ 6 1/2" barrel famous, guys had to shell 3X the retail for deposit and wait 2-3 years for one. So a little wait compared to the wait that some had to endure ain't nothing. You had asked in a previous post if anybody had pics of their Rugers; if I knew how to take pictures and download them to the forum I'd have sent a couple. Hell, I only became computer literate a couple years ago because a P.I. I was working for insisted that I be able to send him reports.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,

Scartozi
.275 member

#12489 - 26/03/04 10:26 AM

okat you talked me into saving up for the RSM

luv2safari
.400 member

#12492 - 26/03/04 11:03 AM

Elias,

I had a stock crack on my CZ550 in 416 Rigby after only 12 rounds. I had properly tightened all screws.

I talked to the US warranty repairman, and he said to glass the actions before shooting the heavy magnum 550s at all. At least he was being honest.

I galssed the new stock they installed as soon as I got the gun back and have had no trouble since. I've put about 200 rounds through the CZ with no problems...now that it is glassed.

By the way, the CZ shoots a much tighter group than my Ruger RSM 416...maybe due to the fine set trigger.

luv2

--------------------

Elias
.224 member

#12538 - 27/03/04 12:16 AM

luv2
My english is not that good..what do you mean whith "glassing " ?? What component do you use...?
I have "rebedded" all my rifs (excl .22 and Ruger#1) with Plastic Padding between irons and wood in the keyplases,oiled slightly the irons first to avoid attachment I think we discuss the same matter
That metod have worked well.
After this discussion Im gonna rebed my CZ wery properly,anyway with this I minimize the risk.
All good clues highly apprechiated ..thanks

Elias

its friday,day off..and few beers in the fridge,in the morning I go out to the range with my son to practise. him..

--------------------

luv2safari
.400 member

#12547 - 27/03/04 02:23 AM

Microbed or Acraglas...an epoxy bedding compound. It solved all my problems in the CZ and was an easy fix.

Brownells has a compound with stainless steel mixed in for added strength.

There is probably a European made version where you live. I think we were talking about the same thing.

luv2

--------------------

Elias
.224 member

#12549 - 27/03/04 03:32 AM

luv2
I was just in the phone before I came here again..Now i know the compound used in bedding, I can get it from here, there are two types , the other one is like gel type. ok it is some time ago when I bedded a rifle.This question came now when I got this 375, so I just didnt have the latest teckn knowledge of this matter, this compound is made only for this purpose.
Great...

Is it difficult to add pics to theese pages...I have not studied it yet..Im gonna take some pics with digitcam and attach them.

Elias

--------------------

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #12655 - 28/03/04 05:44 AM

The 458 is liable to split any stock including the Ruger No.1 in time unless it is shored up properly..If the inletting is not perfect a split results plenty quick, if it is inletted properly the recoil will normally pound a gap in the recoil area, get some running room then split out the stock, its the nature of the beast...

Most factories cannot afford proper wood and that is part of the problem, but the fierce recoil of the Lott is the real problem....

All the while it will be trashing scopes unless you get a 1.5X Leupold Compact that has a different internal design with adjustmest in the center under the adjustments....This phenomenom is incresed 10 fold with the addition of a muzzle brake...

All Lots shold be glassed and double or triple cross bolted, and have two recoil lugs up front on the barrel..The Ruger no.1 should be glassed in the but with a threaded bolt in the grip under the tang, at least its a good idea..

The No. 1 in a Lott is awesome in the recoil dept...and if one is going to use a DGR on dangerous game, then he is best advised to use a repeating rifle IMO...if you don't agree with this then do whatever suits you, and live or die with the results..Chances are good for your survival, but it only takes once, no second place....

Elias
.224 member

Re: CZ 550 or Ruger No.1 [Re: atkinson6]
      #12721 - 29/03/04 01:33 AM

Ok, Ray.
Noticed and understood, thanks.

Elias

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4090

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com