Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Understudy carbine

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
Understudy carbine
      #334408 - 12/11/19 06:49 AM

"The advantage of having an “understudy” rifle chambered in .22 LR similar in ergonomics and controls to its full-powered sibling is well recognized."

- Sako M78 .22LR fullstock

- Sako AV .375 H&H "Mannlicher" carbine.

Exceptional wood with the same checkering pattern on both.

Both with Sako peep sights. (The one on the .22 is designed for its non-tapered dovetails.)

Both in excellent condition. A useful pair.

Edited by rpeck (12/11/19 08:57 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Understudy carbine [Re: rpeck]
      #334417 - 12/11/19 11:56 AM

That's different.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Understudy carbine [Re: NitroX]
      #334419 - 12/11/19 04:06 PM

Pretty cool.

I've often thought about making full length sob caliber liners for my centerfire hunting rifles.

This is a few steps further into the concept.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Understudy carbine [Re: tinker]
      #334420 - 12/11/19 07:15 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing rpec and Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Sako's!

I once had the opportunity to buy the same Sako AV .375 H&H "Mannlicher" carbine, from a mate of mine (DD) but didn't have the cash at the time ......... D'oh! and BUGGER!

D'h!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Understudy carbine [Re: Homer]
      #334421 - 12/11/19 08:33 PM

The mini me copies of larger calibres, a .22 RF made similar to eg the .375 might make sense to the one gun hunter. Familiar in every way with the main rifle.

But for a guy having 10, 20, 50, 100 rifles ... no purpose a all. As he will not be familiar with any of them intimately.

I do like both of those rifles.

What is the barrel length of the .375? What velocity do you get from it?

Thanks.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

rpeck

#334427 - 13/11/19 06:32 AM

Quote:

The mini me copies of larger calibres, a .22 RF made similar to eg the .375 might make sense to the one gun hunter. Familiar in every way with the main rifle.

But for a guy having 10, 20, 50, 100 rifles ... no purpose a all. As he will not be familiar with any of them intimately.

No purpose at all? I respectfully disagree.

I'm in the "20-50 rifles" ownership group and yet I have found .22LR rifles of approximately the same size, weight, mechanical function and with approx. the same sights as my actual hunting rifles to be useful. They don't have to be exact copies, just more or less similar in terms of mechanical function, size and sights. You can shoot .22s all year round at paper, tin cans and gophers, etc. and shoot them a lot.. for not much money. They helped me particularly with developing quick and accurate offhand snapshooting. I know some fellows prefer to practice off season with only their actual hunting rifles but that can become expensive and in some cases, particularly with lightweight carrying rifles, can also lead to the development of a flinch.

(That being said, all my rifles are more or less the same in that they are all bolt action rifles in various calibers between .22LR and .375 H&H.)

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #334428 - 13/11/19 06:50 AM

Never seen Sako's like that!
Certainly along the Stutzen side of things.
I've heard of their peep sight, before though; fully adjustable - any chance of close up(s) of one of the peeps please?
Should certainly be great hunting rifles, Sako do make rather good gear

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#334431 - 13/11/19 12:33 PM

Quote:

No purpose at all? I respectfully disagree.

I'm in the "20-50 rifles" ownership group and yet I have found .22LR rifles of approximately the same size, weight, mechanical function and with approx. the same sights as my actual hunting rifles to be useful. They don't have to be exact copies, just more or less similar in terms of mechanical function, size and sights. You can shoot .22s all year round at paper, tin cans and gophers, etc. and shoot them a lot.. for not much money. They helped me particularly with developing quick and accurate offhand snapshooting. I know some fellows prefer to practice off season with only their actual hunting rifles but that can become expensive and in some cases, particularly with lightweight carrying rifles, can also lead to the development of a flinch.

(That being said, all my rifles are more or less the same in that they are all bolt action rifles in various calibers between .22LR and .375 H&H.)

As I said for the "100 rifle" owning man, the point of familiarity is already lost no matter what mini me's he has! Unless most are safe queens.

But it is a useful concept.

I have previously written teaching myself to shoot and reload a bolt action at the shoulder using a .22 RF and the actual centrefire bolt action. The point was not dropping the rifle between shots to work the bolt. 20 to 40 rounds through the .22, a few through the centrefire and fixed. Also easy to do again to reinforce.

I like both of your rifles, thanks for posting the photo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#334432 - 13/11/19 12:36 PM

BTW when the Sako Stitzen came out,I did think it had nice lines. Pity they discontinued the model.

I think the local advert was for .243 and .308 and similar. Never saw a .375 H&H Mag type calibre offered. 9.3x62 would be a good one too

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #334438 - 13/11/19 01:39 PM

I sold piles of those AV Hunter carbines back in the early '90's.

It's not a bad idea to have a pin set in the guide rib to prevent breakage of the guide rib flange and subsequent lockup of the bolt caused by the guide rib slipping forward and preventing rotation of the bolt.

I've been told it is a serious problem with .416's and a maybe-problem w/ .375's. For myself, having two of the AV Finnbears, one in .3765 and the other merely 6.5x55, I had the work done anyway.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

rpeck

Re: Understudy carbine [Re: 9.3x57]
      #334440 - 13/11/19 11:41 PM

Quote:

I sold piles of those AV Hunter carbines back in the early '90's.

It's not a bad idea to have a pin set in the guide rib to prevent breakage of the guide rib flange and subsequent lockup of the bolt caused by the guide rib slipping forward and preventing rotation of the bolt.

I've been told it is a serious problem with .416's and a maybe-problem w/ .375's. For myself, having two of the AV Finnbears, one in .3765 and the other merely 6.5x55, I had the work done anyway.

I have heard of this before. Can you give any details of the procedure for installing the pin? I would have a qualified gunsmith do it, but want to know what I will be asking him to do.

Edited by rpeck (15/11/19 03:00 AM)

rpeck

#334441 - 13/11/19 11:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As I said for the "100 rifle" owning man, the point of familiarity is already lost no matter what mini me's he has! Unless most are safe queens.

But it is a useful concept.

I have previously written teaching myself to shoot and reload a bolt action at the shoulder using a .22 RF and the actual centrefire bolt action. The point was not dropping the rifle between shots to work the bolt. 20 to 40 rounds through the .22, a few through the centrefire and fixed. Also easy to do again to reinforce.

I would think that for the "100 rifle man" most of his rifles are necessarily "safe queens." I have no problem with this. I have met gun collectors who don't shoot, who don't even own any ammunition. When I was a young hunter I thought this was absurd, but I have learned to respect their reasons for owning guns, even though they are very different from mine.

re:"The point was not dropping the rifle between shots to work the bolt."

To help with this I taught myself to never pick up brass after a game shot. I now always automatically and immediately crank another round into the chamber after my first shot, and the rifle does not leave my shoulder. The brass is ejected quick and far and I never look for it.

Edited by rpeck (15/11/19 03:04 AM)

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
      #334682 - 21/11/19 04:06 AM

Sako M78 .22LR with fullstock is very, very rare. Here in Finland I have seen fullstock Sakos in many calibers but this .22LR should be a special factory order.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: Understudy carbine [Re: Igorrock]
      #334687 - 21/11/19 07:45 AM

Most desirable rifles Robin, like all the ones you present on the Forum; you're a man of great taste!
I wish you to enjoy good hunting with both.
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

rpeck

Re: Understudy carbine [Re: 93x64mm]
      #334697 - 22/11/19 02:53 AM

Quote:

Never seen Sako's like that!
Certainly along the Stutzen side of things.
I've heard of their peep sight, before though; fully adjustable - any chance of close up(s) of one of the peeps please?
Should certainly be great hunting rifles, Sako do make rather good gear

There are numerous variations of the Sako receiver peep sight. Here are a few, including the one for untapered dovetails:

Edited by rpeck (22/11/19 12:00 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #334700 - 22/11/19 04:37 AM

Seems to me, I recall seeing those aperture sights back in the mid 1970's.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

rpeck

Re: Understudy carbine [Re: DarylS]
      #334704 - 22/11/19 05:04 AM

They came standard from the Sako factory with the rifles that had a front sight but no open rear sight on the barrel. Sako hasn't made them for decades but you can still pick them up at gunshows, etc. They are getting expensive though.

Edited by rpeck (22/11/19 12:01 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5610

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com