Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .500 AHR (“updated” .500 Jeffery) resurrected

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
.500 AHR (“updated” .500 Jeffery) resurrected
      #322733 - 24/12/18 06:06 AM

I have just bought an original .500 AHR rifle and am bringing it back from relative obscurity.
Some have described this cartridge as an “improved” .500 Jeffery, I want to avoid that description because one immediately thinks of an “improved” cartridge of greater case capacity. The .500 AHR is none of that, it seems better described as “improvements” that have “updated” it so as to more easliy function thru an action.

The rifle is apparently one built by Ed Plummer of AHR before the company was taken over by present owner Wayne Jacobson back in about 2006-2007. Wayne has none of the older records so I don’t know exactly when it was built other than “pre 2006”.

THE RIFLE:
This rifle is a CZ550 action & has a straightened bolt handle, laminated stock nicely done with 3 narrow laminations down the center and normal looking figured stock wood as viewed from the sides, 24” barrel, 13 3/4” length of pull over a 1” pad, usual express barrel sights, and is said to weigh 11lbs10oz, with single stack magazine. It is presently with Steve Bertram http://www.bertramandco.com having the lead plugs in the buttstock R&R’d with a mercury recoil reducer and a traditional standard 2mm white bead front sight fitted in place of the ~3mm red fibreoptic one.

THE CARTRIDGE:
There is little information about the .500AHR cartridge readily available on the web, no drawings-nothing, the cartridge is proprietary and close variation of the .500 Jeffery which uses the same loading data. It is basically a .500 Jeffery with increased diameter rim (not as severly rebated) the size of a .416 Rigby, combined with a .15” longer case length with resultant longer neck and a slightly sharper shoulder angle. The lengthened cartridge case was apparently done to make the loaded round function better in the magnum length CZ magazine while the .5” neck may better support the bullets. I will be interested to compare the two cartridges in person.

Brass and dies were no problem, Wayne/AHR has the “unobtanium” brass at a very “normal” price and dies are on the way from CH4D.
The rifle and cartridge use the .500 Jeffery standard .510 diameter bullets in typical standard weights.

Pictures? I am totally defeated by the self immolation of PhotoBucket and have not yet been able to break the code on posting photos from other hosting services. Maybe some day......or I can enlist someone to help out.

Once I actually have the rifle in posession, and get some ammo loaded to test, I will post further results.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Re: .500 AHR resurrected [Re: 3DogMike]
      #322736 - 24/12/18 06:43 AM

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: .500 AHR resurrected [Re: bouldersmith]
      #322737 - 24/12/18 06:44 AM

Hey thanks Steve!
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #322738 - 24/12/18 07:23 AM

3DM,
I guess their will be no better time than this to put all the dimensions, loading data & contacts for all the components for this cartridge together here - it certainly will be a labour of love for you!
Looking forward to it.
Lovely Christmas present you picked mate - she's a corker!

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: .500 AHR resurrected [Re: 93x64mm]
      #322883 - 31/12/18 02:50 AM

Jeffery versus Schuler and the genesis of the .500 AHR.
I have found that the .500 AHR shoulder angle is nominally 25° which leads to an interesting comparison with the .500 Jeffery/12.7x70 Schuler.
http://www.cartridgecollector.net/500-jeffery

Compared to the Shuler version it looks like the .500 AHR is closer in case and shoulder dimensions to the 1928 Kynamco print of the .500 Jeffery, with the significant alterations being only an increased rim diameter (.590-.600” of the .416 Rigby) and an increase in overall case length to 2.9” in order to achieve a .5” case neck.

It would be an interesting exercise to see if the modern Kynoch .500 Jeffery as well as the CIP Spec 12.7x70 Schuler would or would not safely chamber in the .500 AHR. Of course extraction would be another issue........
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

93x64mm
.416 member

#322890 - 31/12/18 08:16 AM

If you have 2 bolts (must be within headspace tolerances)then you will be OK to fire both the 500AHR & Jeffery rounds.
Getting it to feed may then be an issue.
I believe Jack Lott did something similar with the .425 WR, but using .404 basic brass!

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: .500 AHR resurrected [Re: 93x64mm]
      #322893 - 31/12/18 09:19 AM

Quote:

If you have 2 bolts (must be within headspace tolerances)then you will be OK to fire both the 500AHR & Jeffery rounds.
Getting it to feed may then be an issue.
I believe Jack Lott did something similar with the .425 WR, but using .404 basic brass!

I remember the Jack Lott writings on just that experiment with the .425 WR.

The musings about the .500 Jeffery are actually just that because interestingly enough the available .500 AHR brass here in the USA is significantly less expensive than .500 Jeffery.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

chuck375
.333 member

Reged: 13/10/07
Loc: Colorado Springs CO
      #322992 - 04/01/19 08:41 AM

You can't improve the 500 Jeffery. It's perfect ...

Very nice rifle by the way ...

--------------------
"There's a saying in prize fighting: Everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: .500 AHR resurrected [Re: chuck375]
      #322993 - 04/01/19 08:57 AM

Quote:

You can't improve the 500 Jeffery. It's perfect ...
Very nice rifle by the way ...

So True ......
I’m on the Western Slope; if I-70 and then I-25 to the Springs were not such a “cluster” these days I would say we could join up so you could see it in person.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

chuck375
.333 member

#323000 - 04/01/19 02:17 PM

Haven't been out shooting or hunting in a while (injured son recuperating at home, getting better). Would love to get together and put a few rounds downrange some time.

Be well,

Chuck

--------------------

3DogMike
.400 member

.500 AHR (“updated” .500 Jeffery) resurrected [Re: chuck375]
      #323272 - 14/01/19 04:48 AM

Finally have the .500 AHR in hand; even better condition than the pictures and description with only minor storage marks, the rifle appears to be as new and fired little if at all. I think this is one of those rifles that the original owner either:
1) shot it 3 times, went OMG!.......and put it away
-or-
2) bought it for the “I’ve got a bigger gun” bragging rights and possibly never fired it; this could be, because there was no ammo or empty fired brass with the rifle.

The original description to me was a little off on weight, according to my scale the rifle rifle weighs 10lbs 12oz with empty magazine. The magazine holds 3 down.

Have brass, bullets, and dies in hand so got to shoot it yesterday, the load was Reloader15 to typical .500 Jeffery load data, Woodleigh 535 grain, Federal 215 primers, and the usual foam backer rod.
There is 11” of snow here and it was 35°F/1.6°C so no shots at target and no chronograph, just standing on my own 2 hind legs in the snow and shooting at a 1’x2’ rock about 30 yards away. Without the chrongraph I can only estimate velocity as ~2200’/sec. Needless to say, the rock absorbed 5 shots and didn’t walk away.......
Recoil was not bad, as expected a bit more than my .470, I doubt I will ever try shooting it off any bench other than a standing bench rest.

More to report once the snow clears and it warms up a bit.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

93x64mm
.416 member

Re: .500 AHR (“updated” .500 Jeffery) resurrected [Re: 3DogMike]
      #323274 - 14/01/19 08:03 AM

3DM,
well your game going out in the snow & firing your rifle - if you dropped your brass it certainly would be missing for some time!
Glad it all went well for you. Seems like you have more up your sleeve anyway, would have still been a mighty wallop at either end; but with full loads off a bench......doable if in the right frame of mind!!
Glad it all went well
Cheers
93x64mm

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: .500 AHR (“updated” .500 Jeffery) resurrected [Re: 93x64mm]
      #323283 - 14/01/19 12:30 PM

Quote:

3DM,
well your game going out in the snow & firing your rifle - if you dropped your brass it certainly would be missing for some time!
Glad it all went well for you. Seems like you have more up your sleeve anyway, would have still been a mighty wallop at either end; but with full loads off a bench......doable if in the right frame of mind!!
Glad it all went well
Cheers
93x64mm

And cheers to you Sir! I appreciate the comments.
Enjoy your Summer.
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

3DogMike
.400 member

#324088 - 31/01/19 08:08 AM

Broke the code on how to wrangle 800x600 image resize and then Imgur......

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

chuck375
.333 member

#330043 - 12/07/19 01:33 PM

My "Baby" CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery with AHR's CZ #1 Upgrade.

--------------------

bigboar
.224 member

Reged: 05/02/09
Loc: NewEngland
Re: .500 AHR (“updated” .500 Jeffery) resurrected [Re: chuck375]
      #332613 - 22/09/19 02:00 PM

I maybe wrong, but; I though the 500 AHR was in fact and improved 500 jeffrey. Using 500 jeff brass and start loads.
But, I could be 100% wrong. Or 50% right I did google up some images to verify the rebated rim.

The 550 CZ is a great rifle. If you tire of the AHR, it could be rechambered for the 500 A Sguare.
I am pretty darn sure on that, but; this is all from memory. There is or was a short version of
the 500 A square thst should also work too. I mean as a backup plan.

3DogMike
.400 member

Re: .500 AHR (“updated” .500 Jeffery) resurrected [Re: bigboar]
      #332628 - 23/09/19 06:08 AM

Quote:

I maybe wrong, but; I though the 500 AHR was in fact and improved 500 jeffrey. Using 500 jeff brass and start loads.
But, I could be 100% wrong. Or 50% right I did google up some images to verify the rebated rim.

The 550 CZ is a great rifle. If you tire of the AHR, it could be rechambered for the 500 A Sguare.
I am pretty darn sure on that, but; this is all from memory. There is or was a short version of
the 500 A square thst should also work too. I mean as a backup plan.

The .500 AHR case body is in fact within a couple of thousandths dimensionally of the .500 Jeffery, the two main differences are the .500AHR rim diameter was increased to the size of the .416 Rigby (still slightly rebated) and the case neck is .15” longer than the .500 Jeffery resulting in a .15” longer case length overall.
The case capacity are within 4 grains of water, 147.8 grains for the AHR and 143.7 grains for the Jeffery. Loads for one work in the other.
Call the .500 AHR “improved”, call it “updated”, call it “modernized”, the only difference that matters is a slightly longer neck and a rim that is less rebated.

Not sure why I would bother with the A Square......the .500 AHR or Jeffery with a 535 grain bullet at 2400’/sec in an 11.5lb rifle with no muzzle break is quite enough for me. (Yep, I’m a wimp... )
- Mike

--------------------

- Anon

-- W. C. Fields

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 121 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6898

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com