Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Addition - 500 SRE - aka 500 A-Square Short

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
New Addition - 500 SRE - aka 500 A-Square Short
      #261835 - 07/03/15 02:35 AM

New Addition - 500 SRE - aka 500 A-Square Short

Hello All,

After posting about my Buhmiller 416 Brevex Mauser with its Buhmiller Muzzle Brake, xausa told of a 500 cal. rifle that he had built back in the early 70s that also had a Buhmiller Barrel with a Buhmiller Muzzle Brake.

He designed a wildcat 500 cal cartridge in about 1971 and called it the 500 SRE. (Short Range Express) It is also known as the 500 A-Square Short, which came much later.

Although he had sold the rifle long ago, he indicated that the rifle may be available for purchase - and it turns out it was.

And .. the 500 SRE finally arrived today .... It took over a month to put this together .....

The 500 SRE is a 460 Weatherby Mag case shortened to 2-1/2" and opened up for the 500 Nitro Express bullet. (.510 dia) It has the same ballistics as the 500 NE which was loaded with a 570g bullet at 2150 ft/sec. But this cartridge was designed for use in a more affordable "standard length" bolt action rifle instead of a Magnum Length, or a Double Rifle.

While I was waiting for the rifle, I searched high and low for reloading dies. Nothing was found and both RCBS and C4 quoted $350-$500 and 6-9 months delivery. Surprisingly, I found a set of RCBS dies for sale on ebay for $195. They were listed as 12.9x63.8 JDJ dies. Phone calls to RCBS identified them as experimental dies for JD Jones. They said they were based on a 460 Weatherby Case shorted and opened to .510 dia. I took a $195 gamble and purchased the dies. I was pleased to find they were an "exact" match for the 500 SRE. Looks like yet another shooter came up with the same idea albeit 20 years later.

The rifle was built by "Harry W. Creighton" (Master Gunsmith, Nashville, Tennessee ) in 1971 on a customized Winchester P-14 Enfield action - Built especially for xausa. Brithish Inspction stamps and Proof Marks show that this rifle originally went to England, and came back.

The rifle specs are as follows: 24" Buhmiller Barrel with Buhmiller Muzzle Brake - Sourdough Front Site - Forward Under-Barrel Secondary Recoil Lug - DT Cock on Opening Upgrade - Timney Trigger - Lyman 48 Receiver Sight - weight= 9 lbs 14.7 oz - 13-3/4" L.O.P.

And it fits me like a glove.

Its so very nice to have a rifle where all its History in known.

I'm hoping the Buhmiller Muzzle Brake works as well on this rifle as it does on my 416 Buhmiller Brevex. This weekend is the first time our Wisconsin temperatures will be above freezing in about a month. I plan on taking for a test run. I'll let you know how it does.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: New Addition - 500 SRE - aka 500 A-Square Short [Re: buckstix]
      #261952 - 09/03/15 12:56 PM

Very, very nice! One custodian of a treasure on the forums gives another member custodianship! Congratulations to both you gentlemen!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: New Addition - 500 SRE - aka 500 A-Square Short [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #261954 - 09/03/15 01:23 PM

Cool piece of history. Well met!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

buckstix
.400 member

Reged: 07/11/12
Loc: Whitetail Country
Re: New Addition - 500 SRE - aka 500 A-Square Short [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #261964 - 09/03/15 05:05 PM

Hello mehulkamdar and Daryl S,

Thanks for the reply. We finally had above freezing temperatures this weekend and I took the 500 SRE for a walk on Saturday and again on Sunday. I tested some beginning loads with both 570g Hornady and some 350g lead gc bullets.

I always start conservative. The 570g velocities averaged 1665 ft/sec with a calculated recoil of 48 ft/lbs. The 350g velocities averaged 2285 ft/sec with 41.6 ft/lbs calculated recoil. Both loads were at a "fun" level with the 570g load showing more felt recoil than the 6 ft/lbs increase would indicate. It may be that the Buhmiller muzzle brake functioned better at the higher velocity level.

I later increased my 570g load by a grain to obtain 1695 fps average velocity with 49.8 ft/lbs recoil level with no noticeable increase in felt recoil.

This is my only Big Game rifle with an aperture rear site and I found it easy to use with fast target acquisition and "fine" aiming ability. Accuracy was absolutely amazing with both loads. I'm looking forward to working my way up to 500 NE velocity levels to see if the Buhmiller muzzle brake tames the recoil as much as it does with my 416 Rigby Buhmiller.

Updates to follow.

--------------------
"You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2629

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com