Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: left-hand safety on a right-hand Winchester 70 ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
left-hand safety on a right-hand Winchester 70 ?
      #67954 - 24/12/06 06:15 AM

Hello Gentlemen ! According to an article in the African Hunter Magazine, where results from a study on DG rifle performance are described:"Rifle Lessons learned from the Proffessional Hunter Proficiency Exam" by Don Heath. To make a long story short, the safety on Winchester 70 models is on the wrong side, for a right-handed hunter it should be on the left side! The difference will cost You one second when a snap-shot at charging game is required and You have to disengage the safety in a hurry. Since Winchester makes both right and left hand models, could it be possible to use original parts in order to solve the problem? Has anybody in the forum experience with "changing to the other side"? Thanks for Your advice and happy Christmas !

Kalunga

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: left-hand safety on a right-hand Winchester 70 ? [Re: Kalunga]
      #67969 - 24/12/06 10:49 AM

I have a Left Hand bolt Winchster M70 and like the safety as is , I do not think safety's are interchangable due to threads being left or right but I think Gentry in the US might help you. I see Don Heath would rather have the safety on the left and yes for a urgent snap shot it may be a second quicker with safety being released by push of thumb which is curled around wrist of the stock but some shooters do not grip rifle around the wrist but straight and therefore the safety is in the correct position also if you have a right hand bolt M70 with safety on left and you sling your rifle on right shoulder while walking the safety may catch on something or slowly be released by contact with your body . All the above problem can be solved by getting a good double with tang safety and everybody is happy!

Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: left-hand safety on a right-hand Winchester 70 ? [Re: RLI]
      #67980 - 24/12/06 02:27 PM

Kalunga:
That article by Don Heath (if its the one I'm thinking of) is a few years old now, and he did capitulate grudgingly in a follow-up article some months later (I was subscribing to African Hunter at the time).

Personally, I don't own any bolt rifles with Winchester-style 3-position safeties, but if I were fitting one to a Mauser 98 I would agree with Don's original observations and fit a left-handed version (I'm right handed). My early experience with bolt-rifles is with the Lee Enfield, which has its safety high on the left side, works perfectly for a right-handed shooter.

I don't know anyone who doesn't wrap their thumb over the grip, especially for the big-kickers we're usually talking about on this forum.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: left-hand safety on a right-hand Winchester 70 ? [Re: Marrakai]
      #68004 - 24/12/06 07:36 PM

I do not hold my thumb along the wrist but wrap it around the wrist as for the safety I guess I am just used to the M70 safety as per the factory design but I have noticed some shooters do not wrap the thumb around the stock and one fellow was using a Merkel .470NE! I read a while back that Col. Cooper advised to use the thumb straight style to access the safety and on heavy recoiling rifles it avoids getting wacked in face with your own thumb , I have tried this with my .470 double but prefer the wrap grip style but back to original question for snap shooting yes the safety on left side would be quicker but it depends on what you have gotten used to over the years.

Steve

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Kalunga
.333 member

Re: left-hand safety on a right-hand Winchester 70 ? [Re: RLI]
      #68174 - 28/12/06 02:10 AM

RLI, thanks for the advice to buy a double, sounds like a good idea ! But still I still would like to know if it is possible to change the left-hand parts with the right-hand parts due to threads, different bolts or whatever.

Marrakai, What did You mean with Don Heath capitulated ? Hope he still hunts !

Kalunga

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #68177 - 28/12/06 02:51 AM

I've been a Model 70 man for the last 28 years, including much time spent hunting with same, and quite honestly, I think the concept of a left-hand safety on right-hand action is ludicrous.

I doubt there too many experience Model 70 shooters who would agree with that notion. If it was all that hot of an idea, and flush with urgency, it would have been done long ago. The Model 70s only been around since 1936..........

AD

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
      #68242 - 28/12/06 05:40 PM

Quote:

What did You mean with Don Heath capitulated ?

About 2 editions of 'African Hunter' later, Don Heath changed his mind a bit about the Model 70 safety being on the 'wrong' side. I think Cooper may have done a bit of chest-poking over the phone, Heath mentioned the fact that Cooper and others lie their thumb along the RHS of the grip, rather than wrapping their thumb over the grip, and that in that case the normal right-hand safety is entirely appropriate. If you need more details, I could have a go at finding the article...

It didn't change my views though. I'm right-handed, and when approaching game with the rifle at either 'port arms' or mounted, my thumb is over the top of the wrist. For me, the safety must be on the top-tang or the left-hand side of the cocking piece for quick operation.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

Kalunga
.333 member

#68318 - 30/12/06 02:46 AM

Marrakai, I can`t help but hold my rifles the same way like You do so now I wonder no other owners of M70s tried to change the safety. But I was always a little different....

Kalunga

An old German saying: A hound that doesn`t run, a hunter that doesn`t drink, a girl that doesn`t hold still, are the great three wonders of the world !

nopride2
.300 member

Reged: 03/01/04
Loc: Seattle, Wa.
      #68369 - 30/12/06 03:56 PM

Handle and shoot an FN 300 with the push down safety lever on the left side and you will have found the fastest safety made. Right handed shooter of course. A southpaw would have the same advantage with a Buhler on a M98 for the first shot.

Dave

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 56 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2078

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com