Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Marlin 45-70 loads

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
Gunnie
.224 member

Reged: 22/07/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia
Marlin 45-70 loads
      #59415 - 29/06/06 09:50 AM

After a few days chasing buff in the Territory I have decided that I need something a bit bigger than what I currently have. A work friend has a Marlin 1895SS in 45-70 which he no longer uses and has offered it to me for $500. The rifle comes with a Lyman peep sight, full set of dies, cases, 2 boxes of Taipan 350HPs and a quantity of reloads. All up he has only put a little under 300 rounds through it, 50 factory and the rest his reloads of the 350's over a mild charge of AR2206.

I plan on tkaing this rifle with me when I head up to Darwin in November with work. I have lined up hunts for both week-ends that I'll be there and hope to score a buff.

So I am looking for any advice on suitable pills to use in the Marlin for taking these behemmoths. I have read that a 405gn hard cast lead pill will work well, holding together and smashing through bone. But I have also read that the micro-groove barrels don't like lead pills. I have yet to confirm which rifling this rifle has, pick it up next week.

Any info the members of this forum can supply will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Reach out, way out, one shot & one shot should do the job!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DPhillips
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/03
Loc: Alaska
Re: Marlin 45-70 loads [Re: Gunnie]
      #59419 - 29/06/06 11:14 AM

Micro-Groove barrels will handle hardcast slugs fine, but they must be properly fitted to the bore. If you want to shoot hardcast, slug your bore first and firelap if necessary. Marlin barrels tend to have tight spots under the rear sight dovetail and front sight screw holes. Firelapping is the quickest way to the bore one diameter. After that fit the bullet diameter to about .001-2" oversize of the groove diameter. Should work fine.

I'd try to find some hardcast around 21 BHN on the hardness scale.

Of course, this advice might be worth exactly what you have paid for it.

For more on shooting hardcast bullets in Marlins, especially the larger bore rifles, check out:
http://www.shootersforum.com/

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Marlin 45-70 loads [Re: DPhillips]
      #59434 - 29/06/06 02:27 PM

Didn't Marlin drop the Micro-Groove several years ago with the 45-70? I might be wrong but IIRC they did. Look down the tube.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

JRiekers
.224 member

Reged: 09/04/06
Loc: NY, TX and NC
      #59807 - 11/07/06 01:53 AM

I have taken several bison and buffalo with Lead Bullet Technologies 430g cast solid at 2000fps (22" bbl). I have also taken 2 water buffalo with the 405g Kodiak Bullet by Alaska Bullet Works. They were going 2170 in a 20" bbl. You can get them commercially loaded from Grizzly Cartridge. I had better results with the Kodiak on closer shots (55yards or less) to the heart/lungs. I found if the cast bullet does not break the shoulder it will take a little longer for the animal to go down. The wounds and reaction were more dramatic with the Kodiak Bullets.

--------------------
www.TARSPORTING.com
J. Riekers - Gunmakers
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

JRiekers
.224 member

Reged: 09/04/06
Loc: NY, TX and NC
      #59927 - 13/07/06 11:41 PM

We just finished shooting several Water Buffalo, an Eland and a Zebra with PUNCH bullets. These are copper outside, lead insert solids. We experienced through and through penetration on all animals out to 100 yards regardless of the bullet path through the animal. The bullets can be purchased for reloading or cartridges are available from Grizzly Cartridge.com Our were traveling 2000fps even out of a 20" barrel. I hope this helps.

--------------------
www.TARSPORTING.com
J. Riekers - Gunmakers
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2145

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com