Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A revolution in Big Bore rifles?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
A revolution in Big Bore rifles?
      #2991 - 26/05/03 10:38 PM

OK this is a theoretical discussion but I believe it would be of great merit if the concept was properly pursued.

Remington introduced the the .22 Accelerator range of cartridges in 1977 with a .30-06 with a .224 bullet loaded in a plastic sabot and driven at 4,080 fps ! Accuracy was similar to other factory loaded cartridges and I can vouch for that. I used to get 2 1/2 inches from my .30-06 but with the last box was getting one hole three shot groups. My main problem was that the Accelerator cartridges was the group was hitting about 3 or 4 feet higher than my usual 150 gr Noslers.

Other Accelerators introduced were a .308 at 3,770 fps and a .30-30 at 3,400 fps.

It was reported that Remington was going to introduce other Accelerators but this never happened.

Now to my point, using some simple comparisons. Instead of a highly fragile .224 bullet at extreme speeds, what if Accelerators were made with say a 100 gr 6 mm projectile or a 7 mm 150 gr or 160 gr projectile. Using the same .084 differential between the .224 and .308 Accelerator a 6 mm Accelerator could be fired in a 8 mm and a 7 mm projectile fired in a 9.3 mm. A .308 or .338 projectile could be fired in a .416 and a .375 in a .458.

Obtaining hunting velocities wouldn't be a problem at all, indeed experimentation might be needed to ensure velocities were tamed so bullet performance is maintained.

The world one gun hunting battery would be obtainable. A .375 could be used in conjunction with 7 mm bullets and 6 mm bullets or with the normal bullets for large game. A .375 could be the ultimate flat shooting plains or mountain rifle. A good set of QD mounts and several scopes set up for the different loads.

Why did Remington not continue with the idea?

Well I think the idea was successful and could have been extended to non-.224 bullets but perhaps Remington also happens to manufacture and sell rifles. Possibly together with other rifle manufacturers they got together and decided - "NO WAY! we are going to kill off our rifle markets and the number of new rifles sold will plummet!". The need for new rifles in the latest and greates re-creations of old and existing belted magnum, non-belted standard, ultra, express, short cartridges everyone must have would cease to exist. (Note this is conjecture and opinion and not fact).

I wonder who owns the patent to the Accelerator concept and whether the owner, presumably Remington, would allow the concept to be better exploited? I think not.

I welcome your comments. Especially any experience with sabots in sporting ammunition and any knowledge of the use of larger than .224 sabots.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DaveJames
.275 member

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Tidewater,Virginia
Re: A revolution in Big Bore rifles? [Re: NitroX]
      #3047 - 29/05/03 06:03 PM

Nitro, these were some of the better fun rounds produced,they all so came in 30-30, and I shot a box car full of them at ground hogs off the back of a buddy'e tractor.
Haveing talked with some of the older Remington upper echlon
and the main reason at the time they dropped them was due to the heavy pressure from the ATF, there had been a very few shootings with these and they were trying to shut down the so called perfect non traceable bullet.
EABrown here in the States sells a kit to use the Sabot and the flat base 224 bullet, and I have tried loads in just about any thing 30 cal wise that they will fit in, they can be a lot of fun. I like your idea of useing either 6mm or 7mm bullets to

--------------------
"I am always willing to learn,but not always willing to be taught."
Sir Winston Churchill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1859

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com