Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The kudu that got away ... a short story

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
The kudu that got away ... a short story
      24/06/12 03:53 AM

My most magical kudu experience was while hunting a cape buffalo bull in the Gwayi Valley. We had just stalked the herd of buffalo for over 800 metres across the open field, with thorn jess on both sides. Used a particular and very unusual method to make the approach.

Most of the herd started moving into the jess for a siesta. But three cows could see us and thought we were fellow buffalo and stopped walking to continue feeding. The bull was at the back of the main herd. About 160 metres away. Too far for me. I wanted to hunt close to them before shooting.

While waiting for the cows behind a slender tree, I heard a slight sound behind me and saw three kudu bulls were slowly walking across the open field from jess to jess. A magnificent kudu bull and two askaris. They passed us within say 15 metres never knowing we were there. The largest was probably about 57 inches and magnificent.

Was I tempted? Now I would be. Then, not at all. I was hunting cape buffalo. I actually felt great pleasure to see these kudu bulls so close with them so unaware and leave them depart in peace.

We missed out on the cape buff bull. He walked into the jess for a noon day sleep. So we decamped and return to the bakkie some 800 metres away. The three buff cows were probably surprised to see fellow buffalo turn into humans.

How did we approach the buffalo completely in the open?

Using a black umbrella each and imitating a buffalo walking.

The next day the property was hit by “warvets’ and armed Zim police, but that is another story ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* The kudu that got away ... a short story NitroXAdministrator 24/06/12 03:53 AM
. * * Re: The kudu that got away ... a short story gryphon   24/06/12 06:43 AM
. * * Re: The kudu that got away ... a short story Ripp   25/06/12 08:43 AM
. * * Re: The kudu that got away ... a short story NitroXAdministrator   25/06/12 03:35 PM
. * * Re: The kudu that got away ... a short story NitroXAdministrator   28/06/12 04:17 AM
. * * Re: The kudu that got away ... a short story Rino   30/01/13 09:04 AM
. * * Re: The kudu that got away ... a short story Cazadero   30/01/13 02:36 PM
. * * Re: The kudu that got away ... a short story Ben   25/06/12 05:31 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 3855

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com