Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Canoe trip on the Zambezi?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Canoe trip on the Zambezi?
      #27651 - 12/03/05 01:13 AM

Has anyone here taken a canoe trip down the lower Zambezi?

I've discussed this a bit with Myles McCallum and Buzz Charlton. One option is to take a canoe from Mana Pools for a couple of days to Chewore North where I will be hunting, and meet Myles there.

Has anyone here done this? If so, was it any fun?

Erik

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Canoe trip on the Zambezi? [Re: EricD]
      #27655 - 12/03/05 02:33 AM

For my honeymoon my wife and I travelled along the Zambezi in a canoe on the Zambian side opposite Mana Pools.

It was only a three day canoe trip as part of a five week holiday including a seven day plains game safari.

We were very lucky in that I booked the trip from Australia and it was supposed to be a party of ten. The other group of eight dropped out, and the company decided to honour our booking and not cancel, so it was just the two of us.

The first day we arrived by landcruiser/safari car at the main camp and had a guided game walk. This was a private property. Elephants among numerous other game. Hippos fed right among the tents at night (safe?) but didn't care. This camp had a resident insane elephant that used to harass the residents chasing them around from building to building. Sometimes sneeking up to the dining area in the dark and then racing forward trumpetting to scatter the humans. They wondered what would happen oneday if the elephant ever caught someone.

A days canoe trip from that camp seeing elephant, bushbuck (a lovely trophy one too), crocodile, hippo, other game.

Travel by speed boat to another location and more canoeing.
We could see canoe trips across the river at Mana Pools.

The river guide whom was an out of work Zim PH f@#$ed up by forgetting to bring the life jackets and my wife can not swim (dickhead!). So we stayed closer to shore.

Another camp was on an island in a Zambian National Park. All the guide had was a .44 Mag pistol for this part. They weren't allowed rifles unless they brought a Nat Park Scout. The first trip they had one and he had an AK-47 wth no sights and one bullet . So they did with out.

On this island we had dinner under a thatched roof with a herd of buffalo feeding right around us some only 20 metres away. The long 200 metre walk in the dark along a winding path to the tent wasn't as funny as one could have bumped into anything. The guide did not walk us there. I didn't mind but I think he was not worth it. That night a pride of lions roared on the same island we were on then became silent as they hunted for game. Didn't see them.

We certainly enjoyed it as it was an intimate little canoe trip. Fantastic views on the Zambezi including a mountain behind. Walking in high grass after buffalo. Spotted a small hippo calf ripped by a crocodile but it fled into the water. All up a very nice end to out honeymoon before returning to Harare and home.

This represented my sixth visit to Zamba (work that one out ).

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Mpofu
.300 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Re: Canoe trip on the Zambezi? [Re: NitroX]
      #27907 - 18/03/05 12:42 AM

Eric,
The office manager at Swainson Safaris(I forget his name) has details of the top canoe safari operater who does these trips on the Zambezi.
Mana pools to Chewore would be a really good trip. I imagine the crocs at Mana pools and the Hippos at Sapi(for some reason they appear a bit aggressive at Sapi) can be a slight problem, but an experienced guide will have no problems.
I actually met a group of pensioners (average age 70 yrs) who were on a canoe trip from Kariba dam to Kenyemba ( Swainsons).
Go for it, and let us know how you got on.
M.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #27987 - 19/03/05 12:45 PM

Any more news on the possibility of this canoe trip?

EricD
.416 member

Re: Canoe trip on the Zambezi? [Re: 500grains]
      #28225 - 24/03/05 03:08 AM

After being away for a week, I just checked my mail and Myles has sent some info with what he has been able to come up with so far; A guy named Stretch Ferreira that has a camp in Mana Pools where I could be based for a few days to explore Mana Pools by canoe and on foot. This isn't quite what I'm after, since I would prefer to canoe from "A" to "B" and in this way arrive at Chewore via the river. On the otherhand, a few days of walking and canoeing in Mana Pools might be a good way to acclimatize to the heat (compaired to our chilly Norwegian springs) etc. This Strech guy would charge $300 per day all inclusive.

I'll wait and see a bit more of what they might come up with.

Erik

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #28232 - 24/03/05 05:02 AM

For $350 a day you could hunt plains game and acclimate to the weather...just a thought.

EricD
.416 member

Re: Canoe trip on the Zambezi? [Re: 500grains]
      #28239 - 24/03/05 09:04 AM

In reply to:

For $350 a day you could hunt plains game and acclimate to the weather...just a thought.

That is sort of what I was thinking of too. But then I've long wanted to spend a few days in Mana Pools. We'll have to wait and see!

Erik

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#28242 - 24/03/05 11:33 AM

On my canoe trip the longer trips were done by speed boat. Travelling long stretches by canoe is quite slow unless you paddle hard for long hours. The point of the canoe trips is to enjoy the river and the wildlife. I think a couple days doing this would be very nice before (or after) your safari.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378966 - 29/08/23 03:16 AM

Canoe trip on the Zambezi..

--------------------
John aka NitroX

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
      #378968 - 29/08/23 03:19 AM

Too much crocodiles and hippos !

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: Canoe trip on the Zambezi? [Re: grandveneur]
      #378970 - 29/08/23 02:21 PM

and mosqitos maybe a bigger problem

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#378971 - 29/08/23 07:14 PM

Quote:

For my honeymoon my wife and I travelled along the Zambezi in a canoe on the Zambian side opposite Mana Pools.

It was only a three day canoe trip as part of a five week holiday including a seven day plains game safari.

A days canoe trip from that camp seeing elephant, bushbuck (a lovely trophy one too), crocodile, hippo, other game.

Travel by speed boat to another location and more canoeing.
We could see canoe trips across the river at Mana Pools.

The river guide whom was an out of work Zim PH [Email]f@#$ed[/Email] up by forgetting to bring the life jackets and my wife can not swim (dickhead!). So we stayed closer to shore.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2770

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com