Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Long distance buffalo charge?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Long distance buffalo charge?
      #372013 - 04/12/22 06:21 PM

Quote:

Cape Buffalo is probably one of the most exciting animals to hunt in Africa. Their passive, majestic nature must immediately be disregarded when irritable, especially after being wounded. A charge is imminent if the hunter is not cautious. It is both exhilarating and terrifying when you face off with black-death. Here is the buffalo charge one of our cameramen, Pierre Rodgers, filmed recently. Relive your African Safari memories over and over again. LET US FILM YOUR NEXT DANGEROUS GAME SAFARI!

https://fb.watch/hc0YXL_XYy/

Long distance buffalo charge?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Long distance buffalo charge? [Re: NitroX]
      #372037 - 05/12/22 05:50 AM

John,
That is very exciting. Certainly will either get your heart beating fast or it will stop (heart attack)

--------------------
RB

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
Re: Long distance buffalo charge? [Re: 85lc]
      #372043 - 05/12/22 09:44 AM

Unusual in that there seemed no reason for the buffalo to start a 'charge' from such a distance unless it just happen to decide to head that way and once it found itself unexpectedly close to hunters in its pathway it just charged.

Mistake IMO to get prepared on the sticks when it became obvious the shot would be close. Would prefer to stand relaxed with rifle down until the shot was required then take the shot at close range to not miss. Had it been a cat on the charge you could not afford to miss at that range once it cleared the bush and if up on the sticks you would be cat food.

The sound bite indicates the guy with the double actually stopped the charge and also gave the buff the second barrel insurance shot while the guy on the bolt gun missed his first shot while on the sticks then got his second shot away just after the first double shot impacted causing the buff to start to drop.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Long distance buffalo charge? [Re: eagle27]
      #372050 - 05/12/22 02:54 PM

Why did the buffalo make a bee line for them from the beginning?

Is there a truck behind used to dump cattle pellets or hay bales?

Maybe I am cynical about South African buffalo hunts.

Maybe the waterhole is behind?

The video is by Pierre Van Wyk whom I hunted with in 2001 for Cape Buffalo in the Gwayi and Matetsi Safari areas. He isn't the PH or outfitter, Tam or something, he is doing the videos now.

Exciting buffalo charge at the end. Avoidable possibly by better shooting. Another trophy shot by PH or maybe the other guy. The voice sounds like a TV show hunter's voice (?).

The use of sticks by clients for close range shooting shows somany clients need to learn how to shhot. Also how to work their bolts. Looks like a Sauer 202 Takedown. Running and charging target practice helps iron out some of these issues. Shooting at paper from a bench is a waste of time.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Edited by NitroX (05/12/22 03:24 PM)

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #372057 - 05/12/22 08:59 PM

Buffalo was trotting - buffalo don't trot without reason - looks like it was driven...by all means it was running from something. eagle27 epxlained all the rest IMO.

crshelton
.333 member

Reged: 10/11/15
Loc: Republic of Texas
Re: Long distance buffalo charge? [Re: 93mouse]
      #372063 - 06/12/22 02:16 AM

Why did the buffalo make a bee line for them from the beginning?"

An acquaintance of mine has been known to solicit a buffalo charge and then drop it with one shot from his 1886 45-70. All close range work. Yes, he is still alive and was off shooting pheasants this past weekend.

--------------------
CRS,NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Long distance buffalo charge? [Re: crshelton]
      #372069 - 06/12/22 01:46 PM

Well of course its fun to speculate, but none of us were there so who knows what the bull was thinking.
From my armchair (youtube viewing) it seems that Cape Buffalo do occasionally come with obvious deliberation from some distance out.

But its the close ones that sort the men from the man-buns...

One of the best filmed close buff charges is here.
If you're impatient, fast-forward to the 4-minute mark and watch from there.
If that doesn't get you puckering, nothing will!

Can't believe the cameraman actually stepped into the open and remained steady as a rock.
Respect!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

eagle27
.400 member

Re: Long distance buffalo charge? [Re: Marrakai]
      #372070 - 06/12/22 02:09 PM

Good video again spoiled by fucking music. A good clear chest or shoulder shot not achieved by the hunter then seemed more likely the PH put the telling shot in on the charge. Failing to give telling shots with the double you are then heavily reliant on your PH or someone else being gunned up.
Would much prefer my 4 shot Mauser 404 bolt gun in that circumstance, even being a lefty I can still operate the bolt gun without taking my eyes off target and quicker than the guy trying to reload his double gun in that video.

At least the hunter did have the sense to step aside after his final shot and allow the PH to cover. I don't know about puckering, I think you probably could have cut plenty of washers from that hunter

3DogMike
.400 member

Reged: 29/01/15
Loc: Western Slope, Colorado USA
Re: Long distance buffalo charge? [Re: eagle27]
      #372071 - 06/12/22 02:50 PM

Yes, the "fucking" music detracts….
Did anyone besides myself note that at during the first stalk about ~4:30 that the client had his muzzles pointed directly at the PH's back……..hope that at least the client had not flicked the safety off?
First shot, spotted by puff of dust, possibly a bit low and aft?

Be curious to know what calibers were involved.
- Mike

--------------------
"Here's to killing people you don't like with people you do"

"Will Rogers never met a fighter pilot"
- Anon

“Always carry a flask of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake."
-- W. C. Fields

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Long distance buffalo charge? [Re: 3DogMike]
      #372072 - 06/12/22 03:21 PM

Yeah, first shot a bit too far back when aiming for low chest, but not by much. I got the impression the hunter had made up his mind to break the front leg for a potential heart shot, but then the animal brought its on-side leg forward and turned slightly just as it came to a stop.

I have no trouble with the music, having full appreciation of the value of the volume button when watching these African hunting videos.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

eagle27
.400 member

#372073 - 06/12/22 04:00 PM

I personally don't like music in any hunt video, preferring to hear unadulterated sounds of footsteps, conversations, gunshots and the farts when it all goes wrong

I use the mute button when the bullshit starts after the animal is down, plenty of back slapping and then the hunter turns to the camera and gives a dumb commentary on his prowess and hunting ability even when the video shows the PH actually did the work on the animal and kept everyone safe.
Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb is the appropriate music then

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372074 - 06/12/22 09:03 PM

Quote:

Well of course its fun to speculate, but none of us were there so who knows what the bull was thinking.
From my armchair (youtube viewing) it seems that Cape Buffalo do occasionally come with obvious deliberation from some distance out.

My speculation is based on it's a South African buffalo hunt. Most of these SAf buff hunts are fenced, a handfull of known beasts, possibly purchased and trucked in beginning of season, a few months before. Possibly fed from the back of trucks.

A real hunt among wild herds of buffalo in wild country is so much more satisfying.

But the end of this hunt, satisfaction. Especially if you can shoot and hit the bull! What every client fears and wants, a charge!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372075 - 06/12/22 09:43 PM

Quote:

One of the best filmed close buff charges is here.
If you're impatient, fast-forward to the 4-minute mark and watch from there.
If that doesn't get you puckering, nothing will!

Can't believe the cameraman actually stepped into the open and remained steady as a rock.
Respect!

Good to see the client doing his own shooting. First shot was maybe a little low and could have been further forward.

During the charge the clients shot seemed to be the one dropping the buffalo. Ends up finally dropping it as well.

Watching the guys hunting, the tracker in front, then the PH, then the client following. Cameraman last. The client spends most of his time looking at the ground at his feet, or the PH's back. Sometimes looking straight forward. If it was me, I'd be scanning 50 metres of a hundred ahead. To the side as well. I like doing my own hunting. One rarely sees the game before the tracker(s) but it personally pleasing when one beats them and sees it first. I did with my eland, the herd had run off and we were following the tracks. I spotted a rear leg knee through the bush a hundred yards ahead. George another tracker behind me immediately noticed my intent stare and whispered "his" sighting up the line. . It's rare to beat these guys at their game.

But what a fun hunt this guy had.

During the charges I've had, the adrenaline pumps, time slows, the brain speeds up, you see and hear everything more intensely. Life is good afterwards.

I don't get the shits! I get diarhorrea before a public speech. Scares the hell out of me.

One day I hope to hunt Cape Buffalo and elephant again. Maybe in some fantasy, lion and/or leopard.

Godd video post, Tony.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#372076 - 06/12/22 09:46 PM

BTW one of those double rifles in the video. Sidelocks with detachable screws/lever. Never see that on a non shotgun, double rifle before?

Similar to this one, a shotgun.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1785

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com