Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients
      #348740 - 02/01/21 03:31 AM

Phil Smythe Medical Emergency Appeal:
Phil was mauled by an elephant whilst on a safari with clients in Middle Save Conservancy, Zimbabwe on Tuesday 22nd December 2020.

Phil is currently being stabilised at Triangle Hospital and is in critical condition.

Phil is the son of Graham and Lyn Smythe, son-in-law of Stu and Kate Haw.

Donations made through Hope Works will be passed on to Pastor Stu Haw who is responsible for the fund in Zimbabwe.

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: Ripp]
      #348741 - 02/01/21 03:32 AM

The world lost a truly remarkable man- So many feel your loss and the world has less light and laughter.

Sadly read this morning he passed away..

Condolences to his family and friends..

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #348781 - 03/01/21 03:12 AM

Sad to read.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: NitroX]
      #348785 - 03/01/21 04:25 AM

Rough.

An early report says he was going after a wounded elephant which turned and charged.

His wife has strong faith, and has spoken out with thanks to the community for the prayers and support.
They have two girls and a baby on the way, and before this incident the family celebrated Christmas together at the bush camp.

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: tinker]
      #348787 - 03/01/21 06:44 AM

Quote:

Rough.

An early report says he was going after a wounded elephant which turned and charged.

His wife has strong faith, and has spoken out with thanks to the community for the prayers and support.
They have two girls and a baby on the way, and before this incident the family celebrated Christmas together at the bush camp.

Nasty. I read in the early posts on another site that a client tried a brain shot and missed the brain. Phillip either went after the Bull or was in the Bull's path and met his fate.

I suspect that Phillip in his bravery was trying to protect his client.

He was a great guy, we are diminished.

Edited by Altamaha (03/01/21 06:48 AM)

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: Altamaha]
      #348790 - 03/01/21 07:14 AM

Sad news !

Condolences to the family.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: grandveneur]
      #348791 - 03/01/21 01:44 PM

Sad indeed - prayers for Phillip and his family and friends.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: DarylS]
      #349427 - 19/01/21 07:49 AM

My son, daughter and I hunted with Phillip last year . He was wonderful to share a camp with . Phillip was only a year apart in age between them and in the same profession and they became quite close and had been keeping in contact. the elephant hunter Phil was guiding also hunted moose with my daughter last fall and she remains in contact with him as well. He told her that He and Phillip ran after the wounded elephant to try to get another shot and the bull turned and charged and Phil seemed to possibly be having some issue with his rifle ( a Verne Carron 500) during the charge ! But that he did manage to get off a single shot as the bull made contact.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: 458Win]
      #349451 - 19/01/21 07:06 PM

Quote:

My son, daughter and I hunted with Phillip last year . He was wonderful to share a camp with . Phillip was only a year apart in age between them and in the same profession and they became quite close and had been keeping in contact. the elephant hunter Phil was guiding also hunted moose with my daughter last fall and she remains in contact with him as well. He told her that He and Phillip ran after the wounded elephant to try to get another shot and the bull turned and charged and Phil seemed to possibly be having some issue with his rifle ( a Verne Carron 500) during the charge ! But that he did manage to get off a single shot as the bull made contact.

Thanks for that Phil. I had never heard of the gentleman before the news of his death.

here is no doubt elephant hunting is dangerous and a hesitation of one or delay due to something during a charge can be fatal. A reason for knowing one's primary stopper weapon like the back of one's hand. Of course things can still do wrong.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: NitroX]
      #349458 - 20/01/21 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for that Phil. I had never heard of the gentleman before the news of his death.

here is no doubt elephant hunting is dangerous and a hesitation of one or delay due to something during a charge can be fatal. A reason for knowing one's primary stopper weapon like the back of one's hand. Of course things can still do wrong.

Sad story..and yes, one little problem, it's over.

It was actually off of Phil's daughter's FB page I first saw this..

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #349464 - 20/01/21 05:39 AM

Sad indeed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
      #349466 - 20/01/21 05:44 AM

I first met Phillip at the annual SCI meeting 15 or more years ago. He was obviously new to SCI, probably his first visit, and was alone in a small out of the way booth. It was late in the day and his open friendly smile stopped me. I discovered an interesting and refreshingly honest person, enough so that years later, when my son offered to take me and his sister on a buffalo hunt, I first contacted Phil. He conducted a fabulous hunt.

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: Phillip Smythe --attacked by elephant while guiding clients [Re: 458Win]
      #349475 - 20/01/21 08:42 AM

Quote:

Thanks 458. This post will stop a lot of speculation.

May Phil Rest In Peace.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2343

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com