Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: plains game packing list

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
ducmarc
.400 member

Reged: 14/07/14
Loc: fla
plains game packing list
      #337997 - 16/02/20 02:57 PM

began making a concerted effort twards a plains game hunt in Namibia next year.i picked up a real nice pre 64 model 70 in 375 h&h with a leopold vx3 scope. need an idea of a good bullet to use in a handload. i was thinking of 250 grain but peoples internet thoughts are all over the map on make.do i take a spare rifle how many rounds of ammunition i've heard its 60 rounds max.shooting sticks? and if so what make. plus what else ? oh an a good PH. at least i have a good hat and boots

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: plains game packing list [Re: ducmarc]
      #338002 - 16/02/20 07:29 PM

A few suggestions of what I like to take.

A camelback. Trackers will normally carry water for the client. However I no longer will share a water bottle having zero interest in sharing saliva with people who have who knows what diseases. I also like to sip water when walking long distances. Easier than stopping to get a canteen out.

A belt knife. Un-necessary but de-riguer.

A multi tool knife. Necessary for all sorts of things.

A good hat for the sun.

A mosquito head/face net. More than useful during a siesta if bugs are insistent.

Good binoculars. Trackers have excellent vision. Try to beat them to spot things. Sometimes, rarely, one can.

BTW some PHs act like all you need to do is pull the trigger. Not even that with some. My attitude is I only have to hire them, because it is legally required ... and for a bit of local knowledge, language translation, some trophy judgement, local countryside and game location knowledge. I could however hire locals, get a vehicle and camp gear, acquire access etc and DIY. It might just take more days. But a hell of a lot more satisfying. But of course it is a monopoly shop.

A good day pack. To carry small stuff in. Or a bum bag. Again some PHs think a client shouldn't carry on. It can also be left in the vehicle for access when in the vehicle.

Bug repellant.

I now seem to sweat more and carry hankies to wipe my face. I may try a shemaugh or Brit style very light scarf for wiping the face. IF it is not too hot around the neck.

I take a good Digital SLR camera plus a long zoom lens. Others might take a small digital pocket camera. If I had the second, I might take both. The pocket camera is easier got to on the walk. And also good for scenic photos. I don't take enough of these when actually hunting. My SLR rides in a Loewe camera bag.

You should be able to walk long distances in your boots. And preferably they be somewhat quiet for walking.

I carry a good small torch as well. A headband will allow it to be used hands free.

I like takedown rifles. So they can be transported in a smaller gun case and even in the bottom of my duffel in country. No one needs to know you have a rifle. Check in th gun case separately when flying.

Take a soft gunbag for the rifle when hunting. If I am using a long gun case, I take out the padding and put the gun in the soft gun bag in the hard gun case.

Other stuff when I think of it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338003 - 16/02/20 07:37 PM

I use 300 gr Woodleigh bullets in my .375 H&H Mag for everything.

For a plains game only hunt, I might try a 270 gr Woodleigh Protected Point SP weldcores.

A 250 gr also sounds adequate.

A-Square's are said to be good, but may be too tough for a lot.

Remember you may be shooting everything from duiker and small guys, up to kudu, zebra and eland.

I hunted 2x gemsbok, 2x springbok, 1x hartebeest, 7x warthog ( I was lucky to be able to do so ), a zebra? I forget the rest in Namibia. Will have to look back.

If a first plains game safari, an eland, and kudu as well is a must if you can. If I return I hope for both again.

I had a chance at a small antelope at the time. Again I have to look up the species. I turned it down. Of course I regret it. One day I want to take my Mauser M03 barrel in ,222 just for a small guy safari. And the other M03 in 8x68S for the others. A .404 barrel just in case something big is needed somewhere.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338004 - 16/02/20 07:40 PM

Your Namibia PH and outfitter will have shooting sticks available. A tracker will set them up for you quickly when needed.

Not setting up sticks like this does spook aware game, so if not needed shoot off hand especially at closer range.

Practice, practice, practice with your rifle. Offhand. On shooting sticks. Prone or with a field rest. Make sure you do not fear your .375 rifle. If you do, take a .30 calibre.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: plains game packing list [Re: NitroX]
      #338005 - 16/02/20 07:45 PM

As for PHs and Outfitters.

A couple to contact and see what they can do for you.

Karl Stumpfe of Ndumo Safaris. He used to be on these forums. I used him in Namibia. And he was a thorough professional, honest outfitter and PH. And knew his stuff. A friendly good guy as well, except he doesn't visit NE anymore.

Joffie Lamprecht is another PH/Oufitter I would contact. I have not hunted with him. I met him in Germany at the Heym International Challenge, same hotel and we shared a taxi often to and from. He also I believe is very professional, friendly, honest and knows his stuff. Maybe I will hunt with him oneday?

I would like to hunt Namibia again one day. My plans next when the wallet is fatter is Mozambique.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ducmarc
.400 member

#338040 - 17/02/20 12:29 PM

thanks for all the advice , i have larger guns but not anything in the longer range magnums.t wanted to start with a bullet and work on a load and practice know one wants to muck up a shot by not practicing. maybe the 275 grainer would be a good combanation of speed and punch. thought of a spare rifle exactly like the primary rifle it is a70 year old rifle if i break an extractor i'm renting one maybe a backup in 300 h&h

--------------------
'killed by death' Lemmy.. ' boil the dog ' Elvis Manywounds "my best friend is my magnum forty four" hank willams the third.

ducmarc
.400 member

#338043 - 17/02/20 12:43 PM

any thoughts on the the barnes tsx bullets they have some ballistic tips that look like cannon shells but i like the woodleigh reputation .and midway sells them

--------------------

Postman
.375 member

Reged: 25/09/13
Loc: Canada
      #338048 - 17/02/20 02:03 PM

For plains game and a .375, I like the 250 grain TTSX, but when using my .375 as a backup rifle on a DG hunt, I tend to just bring 300 grain TSX and some Woodleigh 300 grain Hydrostatic solids. When I’m tagged out on DG, I use the .375 for PG using the ammo I brought as DG backup fodder. It really hits with authority, and some of the PG you’ll hunt can get awful big, so the 375 offers great levels of horsepower on tap, especially if the shot presentation is not the ideal textbook standing broadside.

If I were to go back for solely a PG hunt, I’d likely bring a 7MM Rem Mag, or a .300 Win mag. If you’re bound and determined to bring the .375, I don’t think anybody could claim it is a bad choice. If I were to do a PG only hunt and brought only a ,375, I’d likely bring the 250 grain TTSX. The lighter bullet will give you a better trajectory than the heavier 300 grain bullets but will still hit with plenty of authority.

The 7mm Rem Mag, the .300 Win Mag, and the .375 H&H are common enough in Namibia that one might find replacement ammo locally, should the airlines lose your ammo. This is a key decisioning factor that would be on the top of my mind.

Another fine choice would be a.338 Win Mag using 225 grain TTSX, although I’m not sure if it’s easy to source spare ammo in Namibia for the .338 if the airlines should separate you from your ammo.

Edited by Postman (17/02/20 02:10 PM)

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #338049 - 17/02/20 02:04 PM

Plains game, I would go with the 270grain projectiles, I prefer the Woodleigh PP's. This makes them a bit flatter shooting than the 300grainers. I would also have 5 loaded with the Hydrostatict in case you need a solid. In all my rifles that I have Hydros loaded for they shoot to the same POI as the soft nose I use.

I too would recommend Karl as John has.I have hunted with them twice and have been well looked after. I also have heard good reports about Komas Safaris? Spelling could be out. I would google a few and see what their clients have to say about them. Also it depends on the type of hunting you want to do.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: plains game packing list [Re: Rule303]
      #338069 - 18/02/20 02:13 AM

Quote:

Plains game, I would go with the 270grain projectiles, I prefer the Woodleigh PP's. This makes them a bit flatter shooting than the 300grainers. I would also have 5 loaded with the Hydrostatict in case you need a solid. In all my rifles that I have Hydros loaded for they shoot to the same POI as the soft nose I use.

I too would recommend Karl as John has.I have hunted with them twice and have been well looked after. I also have heard good reports about Komas Safaris? Spelling could be out. I would google a few and see what their clients have to say about them. Also it depends on the type of hunting you want to do.

Agree with the 270gr --but I would use Swift A-Frames--hard enough to use on Buffalo and yet will not blow up the small stuff.. I have taken really small stuff with 400GR A-Frames.. little damage--like hitting them with a solid..

IF, plains game only, agree, you do not need a 375... 7MM or 300Win is better as shots can be longer in Namibia.. more so that typical in Zim or similar areas.. Having said that, even if going for PG only, when I am in Zim I take a minimum of .375 as you never show who shows up at the party..

In terms of equipment.. good sun hat, and QUIET shoes.. bring a day pack--you will not be carrying it while hunting .. and they will also be carrying the water.. and your rifle if you wish, which I never do.. again, want to protect myself if need be, not running after a guy to get my rifle...

Sun block is a necessity ..depending on when you go, can be cool mornings but by 10 its getting warm.. I wore only shorts on all of my hunts there.. and will do so again when I go back.. had sand covers for my boots to stop that from entering my shoes.. VERY helpful.. see link below..
https://www.shakariconnection.com/african-hunting-gaiters.html

EYE PROTECTION.. lots of long sharp thistle, etc .. can take an eye in an instant.. beware..
clothing.. wear something the brush cant grab so easily--cotton sucks..do not bring it

As stated, could go on and on for the next 2 days..keep it as simple as you can..

Will need medication and shots..depending on the area. Malaria area ???

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Ripp
.577 member

Re: plains game packing list [Re: Ripp]
      #338073 - 18/02/20 02:58 AM

This will get you pointed in the general direction.. pick and chose what you need.. personally I find the more I travel the less I bring..

https://www.african-safari-journals.com/safari-packing-list.html

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

#338101 - 18/02/20 11:38 AM

Quote:

This will get you pointed in the general direction.. pick and chose what you need.. personally I find the more I travel the less I bring..

https://www.african-safari-journals.com/safari-packing-list.html

Go with the Suede gaiters they are the quietest and very unlikely to pick up burs.

Rule303
.416 member

#338106 - 18/02/20 11:56 AM

I will disagree with Ripp here. The clothing needs to be light and breathable. Most if not all synthetics do not cut it. My preference is hemp ( if you can get any hemp clothing), wool, then cotton/polycotton. Hemp is very hard wearing and it does not stink at the end of the day. Wool is warm as well as cool, does not stink at end of day but holds onto the sweat if not thin but is not overly hard wearing when thin. Well cotton is cotton, this includes canvas.

Bamboo wicks the moisture away from the skin until it is full of moisture then it holds it. Takes ages to dry. Not a good option. Some synthetics wick moisture away, others don't. Some that do, allow the moisture to evaporate easily other do not. Sorry don't know which do and do not.Ripp please chime in on this

I normally start with a thin woolen undershirt if it is cool or going to be cool and then a thin loose fitting Cotton/Poly cotton shirt with long sleeves. If it is going to be warm then one or the other. Long sleeve if going to be in the sun a lot. I normally wear long heavy cotton trousers no matter the temp unless I have tanned up my legs so I don't get sunburn legs. Mainly applicable if riding in vehicle for a while to get to hunt area. Also reduces cuts, scratches massively when in thick country. Also when in very hot areas if you have to arse crawl, monkey or leopard crawl they make life a lot easier.

Check out the link Ripp posted that will give you some idea of the clothing.

Ripp
.577 member

#338109 - 18/02/20 12:31 PM

Quote:

I will disagree with Ripp here. The clothing needs to be light and breathable. Most if not all synthetics do not cut it. My preference is hemp ( if you can get any hemp clothing), wool, then cotton/polycotton. Hemp is very hard wearing and it does not stink at the end of the day. Wool is warm as well as cool, does not stink at end of day but holds onto the sweat if not thin but is not overly hard wearing when thin. Well cotton is cotton, this includes canvas.

Bamboo wicks the moisture away from the skin until it is full of moisture then it holds it. Takes ages to dry. Not a good option. Some synthetics wick moisture away, others don't. Some that do, allow the moisture to evaporate easily other do not. Sorry don't know which do and do not.Ripp please chime in on this

I normally start with a thin woolen undershirt if it is cool or going to be cool and then a thin loose fitting Cotton/Poly cotton shirt with long sleeves. If it is going to be warm then one or the other. Long sleeve if going to be in the sun a lot. I normally wear long heavy cotton trousers no matter the temp unless I have tanned up my legs so I don't get sunburn legs. Mainly applicable if riding in vehicle for a while to get to hunt area. Also reduces cuts, scratches massively when in thick country. Also when in very hot areas if you have to arse crawl, monkey or leopard crawl they make life a lot easier.

My issue with the looser cotton was the wait-a-bit thorn.. always catching and snagging when trying to sneak in on game.. the last few times I wore more of a Under Armor shirt.. I had a looser cotton/poly blend on and would wear when first starting out hiking.. long sleeve as you stated..but as the hike and day progressed I would have just shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt on.. yes, you can and do get cuts, scrapes, etc when out and about with shorts..so if that is unacceptable then wear the pants.. Actually the ones I normally wear are zip off's.. again, pants until about 10AM then zip off the bottom and go with the shorts .. keep the bottom legs in your pack..if you don't come back to camp for lunch, can zip them back on as it cools in the evening..

Wait-a-bit thorn
https://www.google.com/search?q=wait+a+b...93&dpr=1.05

I do like wool..for early mornings and late evenings... wear wool here in Montana all the time.. even in our cold climate during elk season.. if I want to keep warm, I put on the wool.. have had the same wool hunting shirt for over 20 years... WOOLRICH.. great shirt...

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (18/02/20 01:18 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338119 - 18/02/20 04:46 PM

Quote:

I will disagree with Ripp here.

Me too.

I only wear 100% cotton in hot climates. Never found a synthetic I like. For a days hunting I also wear long sleeves. Long sleeves can be rolled up if you are hot. Short sleeves can not be rolled down if you arms are burning. Long cotton trousers as well. If you like your legs all scratched and cut up wear shorts. Many places in Namibia are open and easy hunting. The Kalahari is very open. Many of the ranches are also open. I don't remember any places badly maintained with endless thorn jess like in South Africa.

On the other hand cotton is useless for cold climates. Superfine wool is great for this as long underwear. Polarfleece on top.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rule303
.416 member

#338130 - 18/02/20 09:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My issue with the looser cotton was the wait-a-bit thorn.. always catching and snagging when trying to sneak in on game.. the last few times I wore more of a Under Armor shirt.. I had a looser cotton/poly blend on and would wear when first starting out hiking.. long sleeve as you stated..but as the hike and day progressed I would have just shorts and a short sleeve t-shirt on.. yes, you can and do get cuts, scrapes, etc when out and about with shorts..so if that is unacceptable then wear the pants.. Actually the ones I normally wear are zip off's.. again, pants until about 10AM then zip off the bottom and go with the shorts .. keep the bottom legs in your pack..if you don't come back to camp for lunch, can zip them back on as it cools in the evening..

Wait-a-bit thorn
https://www.google.com/search?q=wait+a+b...93&dpr=1.05

I do like wool..for early mornings and late evenings... wear wool here in Montana all the time.. even in our cold climate during elk season.. if I want to keep warm, I put on the wool.. have had the same wool hunting shirt for over 20 years... WOOLRICH.. great shirt...

Me too with the zip of pant legs. Work a treat. yes I am well accustomed with Wait-a-While thorn as we call it.

PS if going to malaria areas loose long sleeved shirt and pants for predawn to after sunrise and evening wear.

Ripp
.577 member

#338133 - 19/02/20 02:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I will disagree with Ripp here.

Me too.

I only wear 100% cotton in hot climates. Never found a synthetic I like. For a days hunting I also wear long sleeves. Long sleeves can be rolled up if you are hot. Short sleeves can not be rolled down if you arms are burning. Long cotton trousers as well. If you like your legs all scratched and cut up wear shorts. Many places in Namibia are open and easy hunting. The Kalahari is very open. Many of the ranches are also open. I don't remember any places badly maintained with endless thorn jess like in South Africa.

On the other hand cotton is useless for cold climates. Superfine wool is great for this as long underwear. Polarfleece on top.

EXOFFICIO...have worn their long sleeve on every African hunt I have been on.. keeps bugs off and not sticky like cotton as you sweat..

Funny how people are different.. I don't think I have a cotton shirt in my closet..

https://www.exofficio.com/mens/

EXOFFICIO shirt with ZIP OFF pants..

P1170051 - Copy - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr

SHORTS (zip offs) and Under Armour T-shirt-- lightweight, dries quickly if wet..what I usually wear when there.. along with gaiters over boots to keep sand out, really find those helpful..

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/huntin...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

2008 eland - Copy - Copy by A Hoffart, on Flickr

--------------------

Edited by Ripp (19/02/20 04:56 AM)

twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #338144 - 19/02/20 12:23 PM

What "plains game" is on your list ???

If you're not shooting heavy stuff like eland.......or gemsbuck??.......why the .375??

Just saying that most plains game don't require such artillery and you'd be better off to shoot the 7mm Rem Mag or .30/06 deer rifle that you're more comfortable with.

I've done both (.30/06, .300 wby & .375 H&H) but unless you really want to carry the .375 ......I know it's your new toy and that's reason enough......I'd take the easier to shoot rifle.

Premium bullets are cheap compared to daily rates and taxidermists so buy the best. Practice with your rifle alot before you go......ammo is cheap compared to lost, wounded and paid for game. I've used Nosler Partitions, Woodleighs, Hornadys, Normas. I'd stick to one bullet if you're carrying one gun.

I wear my khaki cotton "paddock clothes" and never found it wanting. I habitually wear a felt akubra and stick with a sandy/khaki coloured one.

Comfortable boots are a must cause you cant walk far with your feet hurting/blistered. Break them in thoroughly before you go. Sock savers are worthwhile.

I wear a khaki cotton "safari jacket" that is basically a shotgun coat with no pockets on my rifle shoulder side............so your gun butt doesn't hang up - mounting or dismounting. I will not hang crap (cartridges or pockets) of the rifle shoulder side of my jacket.

I wear a grey "hoodie" under my coat of a morning. You can take it off when you get hot and tie it around your waist by the sleeves or stuff it in the back pocket of the "safari jacket/shotgun coat".

I used to take little binoculars and wrote them off as next to useless - field of view too small. I now carry Leupold 10x32 (?) Gold Rings and won't change them. I wear them slung under my left arm - strap over right shoulder - I'm right handed. They're out of the way there and easily accessible and don't interfere with gun mount.

I have packed a spare scope - in a spare set of takeoff mounts - and needed it. But I'd consider that very rare on a short hunt. I also pack a multi bit screw driver with bits that fit the screws on my rifle.

I carry a proven skinning knife.......but you probably won't need one if you've got a PH and a skinning team.

I carry my ammo on MTM caseguards mostly. Check airline for their requirements for carrying guns and ammo. I'll often carry a box of 20 cartridges in my jacket......depending how far I intend to be from the truck. But usually five in the rifle and as many in different pockets - so they don't rattle against each other - is all I carry.

I will not hang cartridges off my rifle on one of those buttstock cartridge "condom" thingies as it makes it butt heavy, handle like crap and provide extra reasons to catch on things.

Check with Aus police and customs as to their requirements. Check with the same on the African side. Be sure to list scopes and ammo on paperwork.

The same gear you wear deer hunting should apply. Carry some water. But remember you may well have a "hanger on/tracker" that can carry stuff.

Be sure to have a supply of any medication that you're on. With a supply that will last you through the trip. Be sure you have your prescription for the medication with you.

I travel my rifle in a lockable hard case - being sure that the bolt and ammo are in a separate bag. Do not attempt to take any part of the firearm - bolt/scope - into the aircraft cabin with you !!!! Remember not to have your pocket knife in your check in baggage - not your pocket - when you check in.

Just a few thoughts.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338149 - 19/02/20 07:09 PM

Quote:

EXOFFICIO...have worn their long sleeve on every African hunt I have been on.. keeps bugs off and not sticky like cotton as you sweat..

Which shirt? I don't see any safari shirts.

I have been wearing the Cabelas Serengetti Safari shirts, long sleeve and long sleeve for over twenty years. Have lots of them, some falling to bits. Others in good condition, and all in between.

Originally these were available in dark green, the best colour, but the cloth was softer and less durable. Made in South Africa. Discontinued.

Re-released. Probably made in Asia somewhere. New design with baggy external pockets. Some stupid colours. The green was a fluorescent light colour. A yellow. A light blue. The cotton was a thicker harder wearing fabric. Much better.

Another design change. Better breast internal pockets. The pockets are doubled up. One side a large side zipped pocket internal with a button pocket on top. The other side a top zipped pocket with button pocket on top. The zipped ones are useful for a largish smart phone. Just. A small pocket on the upper arm.

I stopped buying the fluorescent greens. A sand or khaki / tan colour is the best for hunting. I have some of the blue ones for tourist travelling, great for travelling with the pockets, but blue was less a "khaki" man.

I see Cabelas has discontinued them again!

I MAY seek out a custom shirt maker and see about my own design. Slightly larger pockets for those smart phones. Better colours for hunting. The Nitro Express colour brand. If an Adelaide custom shirt maker won't be cheap. They usually make business shirts. If they are still around. Maybe a trip to Bangkok or Hong Kong one day. Should fit perfectly.

RM Williams used to make 'bush shirts" which were good. Stopped making them many years ago when they became more urrban.

I'm wearing Cabelas Serengetti tan LS shirt now, and seven pocket tan trousers as well. My normal farm 'safari' wear.

For my plains game only hunt, I took a .30-06.

The next trip included buffalo so I took a .375 for everything.

Next trip included elephant so it was my .450 NE DR and a 9.3x74R DR, Borrowed Karl Stumpfe's M98 8x68S in Namibia for plains game. Th 9.3 for some of the warthog.

A hell of a lot of plains game areas have no dangerous game, maybe hidden leopards which if you are lucky you might see some tracks in the sand. No need for a dangerous game rifle for most plains game only hunts. The best plains game hunting areas have no lion, as lion reduce plains game numbers immensely. Kalahari hunting may have lion somewhere, but you will be LUCKY to see any.

Some plains game ranches in some countries may have rhino, some buffalo, some elephant. Not the usual ones. Namibia unlikely unless in BG areas.

Take a .375 if you want to. For the romanticism.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: plains game packing list [Re: twobobbwana]
      #338150 - 19/02/20 07:55 PM

Quote:

I wear a khaki cotton "safari jacket" that is basically a shotgun coat with no pockets on my rifle shoulder side............so your gun butt doesn't hang up - mounting or dismounting. I will not hang crap (cartridges or pockets) of the rifle shoulder side of my jacket.

One of the best safari jackets used to be an old style green USA Army jacket. A PH had one on my first safari and it was an excellent idea.

Dark green is OK with a lot of African bush as the thin tree trunks are often black or dark. Really light East African old fashioned "khaki" is a bad idea.

Hard to get now. Everythings cammo.

BTW avoid camo in Africa. Some countries do not like it at all.

I could not find a US Army jacket, but a Pro Cam Fis jacket is better. A fishing jacket with zip off sleeves. Lots of pockets.

Green like this one.

Quote:

I wear a grey "hoodie" under my coat of a morning. You can take it off when you get hot and tie it around your waist by the sleeves or stuff it in the back pocket of the "safari jacket/shotgun coat".

Good idea. Ghetto in the bush.

Quote:

I used to take little binoculars and wrote them off as next to useless - field of view too small. I now carry Leupold 10x32 (?) Gold Rings and won't change them.

Me too. Good Swarovski and Leica full sized binocs.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#338152 - 19/02/20 08:13 PM

Quote:

I MAY seek out a custom shirt maker and see about my own design. Slightly larger pockets for those smart phones. Better colours for hunting. The Nitro Express colour brand. If an Adelaide custom shirt maker won't be cheap. They usually make business shirts. If they are still around. Maybe a trip to Bangkok or Hong Kong one day. Should fit perfectly.

I haven't ever used one in Africa, but I use a shooting vest a lot. My old Beretta vest is now near finished, especially after getting boiled by mistake in the washer when the hot water refused to stop pouring in. I have used it on the farm, got oil and grease on it. Very dirty. Washed many times. The large pockets are very handy.

I also have a soft lambskin RAF leather munitions vest which is very nice. Also showing wear. Also great for travel but rarely take it on long trips. Weighty and another thing to carry.

I bought one of those camera vests. Used it in South America.

BUT I like the old Green semi quilted look and leather/suede trim Beretta vest. I have made enquiries with tailors to repair the old one, all the suede shrank. Or make a new one. But will re-design it. For clay shooting, hunting, travel, normal day wear, farm use. Yes I will get more than one made.

The "Nitro Express" brand shooting/travel/safari vest:

Lightish Green cotton with a quilted look if possible.
Suede trim on pockets and some edges.
Suede or leather shoulder patches.
Decent length.
Upper pockets, deep enough for stuff not to fall out.
Lower pockets where the shell pockets are, open but with zipped pockets behind. Open pockets are dangerous when travelling from pickpockets.
Maybe a zipped inside upper internal pocket for a wallet.
I won't bother with a back pocket for empty shells.
Perhaps two of the open pockets can have NE bullet loops inside.One of my jackets does have this for 12g shells.

Might be hard to do all this with a cotton shooting style vest.

I want my design to not be "too shooting" for travel, but it probably will still look like it.

A safari vest is very useful for travel and great for the hunt. Be a real man and wear it shirtless!

Will start a new thread on it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Ripp
.577 member

#338158 - 20/02/20 01:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I used to take little binoculars and wrote them off as next to useless - field of view too small. I now carry Leupold 10x32 (?) Gold Rings and won't change them.

Me too. Good Swarovski and Leica full sized binocs.

Have never owned a little pair.. well, you know..

I carry Swaro's--8x32--I find 10's unnecessary and not as good in the generally close hunting conditions in Africa.. Most other destinations I do use 10's

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#338159 - 20/02/20 01:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Which shirt? I don't see any safari shirts.

MY Ex-offficio's were bought the first time I went to Africa which would have been 2004--they were NOT a hunting shirt per se'.. believe the models I purchased were called "The Traveler".. which I really liked...hidden pockets.. zippered pockets on top for passports..larger pockets, they hold anything.. and the bug protection really did seem to help.. bought 4 at the time and still have them.. wore them all the time on the way over, while hunting and back home.. as they do your laundry every day while on Safari..purchased them in browns, tans and greens.. worked well

And wore the shown UA t-shirts below.. as day warmed up that's all I wore..

Possibly headed to Tanzania in Sept..If it turns out, will take the same...

And will take 2 rifles, my WR 470 Double and probably a .375 for PG..

Agree, in Namibia, don't see the need for 375...and shots can be longer ..would take something that shoots flatter...

--------------------

twobobbwana
.333 member

Reged: 25/11/11
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #338172 - 20/02/20 11:51 AM

I note the comments about "khaki" and recall Buzz Charlton's (?) aversion to it but cannot agree.

It works where I hunt in mostly dry Aus and it seemed to work quite nicely in wintertime Low veldt Zim............from Shamva,Lions Den, Zvishavane to Devuli.

I believe the vegetation colour to be similar given the climate so can't see the problem.

I could imagine that it would not suit wet season jesse - nor the rainforests of CAR - but I've never noticed any issue in dryer mopane country. I've not noticed game spooking due to me being highly visable.

I'm not about to bring into question Buzz's experience, loved his elephant hunting dvds, but just can't agree with him on this.............I'm sure Mr Charlton's sleep will not be at risk should he become aware of this.

I'd look forward to arguing the point over a few Castles, Bollingers, Zambesis or good duty free whiskey.............I'm sure I'd learn alot from him.

ducmarc
.400 member

Re: plains game packing list [Re: twobobbwana]
      #338173 - 20/02/20 12:10 PM

thanks for all the help its a lot to digest. i'm not much of a camo guy i have a couple of old school green jackets post slant pockets and tan under shirts i use when i hunt here in fla.would like to go for a couple of larger animals like eland.so thought a larger bullet is in order wasen't really wanting to all the way to africa and hunt game the same size we have here. i have a 7mm ultra mag but not sure they make a bullet that's effective enough on bigger game.although it worked on elk a couple years back. ripp was looking at.the clothing u suggested might try some for around here.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6921

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com