Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: On Being Gored By An Elephant

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
On Being Gored By An Elephant
      #183844 - 16/06/11 11:09 AM

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/1011/r...er=contextstory

Billionaires In Their Own Words
Tom Siebel On Being Gored By An Elephant
As told to Steven Bertoni,

Once you get hurt you hear about all the other accidents on safari that nobody talks about.

A year ago . . . I was on safari in Tanzania with my wife and two daughters, and we had spent three days touring the Serengeti in the back of a Land Rover . . . seeing lots of animals, wildebeests, lions, zebra. . . . [My family was] quite jet-lagged and decided to take a day off. So I asked the guide if we could take a walking safari. . . . I showed up at 6:30 in the morning with my Nikon camera . . . and he [had] a double-barreled .470-caliber rifle and [said,] "I don't anticipate we'll have any problems, but if we get charged by an animal, it's very important that we stand our ground because if you turn and run we're going to get hurt because they chase things that run. . . ."

So, we . . . go out for a walk and in front of the lodge is a watering hole. . . . In the Serengeti [they] are pretty few and far between so they're pretty attractive features for migrating animals . . . and we came upon a herd of water buffalo . . . big and mean and kind of superbad looking, so we tiptoed around that . . . and about [15] minutes later, we came across a herd of elephants . . . about 200 yards away.

Understand, it's just daybreak, there's virtually no wind. It is very quiet, and we can clearly see . . . roughly 15 or 16 of them, half . . . juveniles and half . . . adult females . . . grazing the way they do and ripping branches off trees and stuff. . . . I'm not certain what happened. But, all of a sudden, one of the larger female elephants just spun around and sat on her haunches and put her trunk in the air and her ears out fully extended and just bellowed at us. I don't know if she could see us or smell us, but she pointed right at us. She paused for probably two seconds and then [made] a beeline right at us. So, this is 6 tons of elephant moving 30 miles per hour, and she could cover 200 yards in not much time. . . . And I would say about 4 yards in front of me the guide is standing there with his .470 double-barreled rifle. . . .

Let's put this in perspective: A .470 rifle is a large charge; it's almost the size of a roll of dimes. It's a side-by-side double-barrel rifle and [will] drop an elephant in its tracks. . . .

So, the animal is closing in and the guy doesn't shoot. Then 40 yards, and the guide doesn't shoot. This animal's now 20 yards [away], and the guide has not shot. At 10 yards he still hasn't shot, and this animal is closing in . . . like a Caterpillar ( CAT - news - people ) tractor coming at you. . . . I'd say the animal is 4 yards away and this guide then shoots and misses. It goes above its head. . . . Then the elephant came up to him and [with her] trunk . . . just threw him aside. I could hear the air decompress out of his body as the animal hurled him over maybe 10 yards to my right.

Then the animal continues up right in front of me, and I'm standing there . . . [It's] maybe 2 feet away, and it's just standing there. And I'll remember this instant until the day I die. And for three seconds--one, one thousand; two, one thousand; three, one thousand--the animal is standing there; I'm standing there. I can smell it . . . the pungent odor. . . . I can see the gray, the hair follicles . . . the eyeball, the trunk, the tusk, the foot--the whole thing. . . . And I was like, "Okay, what are we going to do now?"

And the animal then proceeds to kick my teeth in, basically. It knocked me to the ground with its trunk, it rolled me, punched me, put a tusk through my left thigh, gored it, then ripped it out sideways. It stepped on my leg, kicked my leg, broke six ribs and ripped up my shoulder. . . . I remember every instant of it . . . trying to protect my head with my arms. I remember the blows to my lower extremities, and it just hurt so bad I couldn't believe it. . . . Imagine what it's like taking an elephant tusk through the thigh . . . or hav[ing] a 6-ton animal step on your leg . . . It just snaps. . . . The pain was intolerable. . . . I had one thought: "Please, God, make this stop."

And after a while I looked up. . . . The dust is settled. The elephant's gone. Dead quiet in the Serengeti. . . . The guide is over there 12 yards [away], curled up in a ball, wrapped around [the] . . . rifle, playing dead. . . . Basically what happened is I got served up. So I said, "This might be a good time to reload." . . . He was virtually unhurt. . . . Then he called the lodge and brought out a [group] of pickup trucks and vehicles to surround me to keep the animals away. And I lay in the spot for three and a half hours. I was hurt, I couldn't move. My left thigh was just flayed wide open, my right foot was dangling on my leg, held on by two tendons and a flap of skin. . . .

[Finally,] they moved me into a pick-up truck, then the back of a tail-dragger Cessna with a couple of nurses on it . . . and flew to Nairobi. . . . When you're hurt pretty badly, I assure you a place like the Aga Khan [University] Hospital in Nairobi is a pretty scary place. I think they did the best job they could there. . . . They cleaned up the wound site, put a stabilizer on my leg, then gave us a nurse and we flew back to the United States . . . to San Jose. It was a 20-hour flight and . . . through some error or oversight . . . they packed [only] 10 hours of morphine . . . and 15 hours of fluids. . . . By the time I . . . arrived in San Jose, . . . I'd lost two-thirds of my blood. . . . They performed a bunch of surgeries, put me in an intensive care unit for days and days and days.

So here we are a year later, 16 surgeries later. I still have something on my leg called an Ilizarov external fixator [to mend, lengthen and reshape] the tibia . . . between your ankle bone and your knee. . . . They've taken a chunk of bone out of my pelvis about the size of your fist and moved it down into my ankle to try to get it all fused together. . . . The prognosis is that I'll be able to walk and run and ride a bicycle and play golf [again]. . . .

I [still] have the iPhone that was in my left front pocket that basically exploded . . . it's now in about 200 pieces. . . and I have been meaning to send it back to Steve Jobs for a refund.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: NitroX]
      #183853 - 16/06/11 02:49 PM

That hurt...gee zus!

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: gryphon]
      #183854 - 16/06/11 02:56 PM

Ouch.

Not sure I like this bit "The guide is over there 12 yards [away], curled up in a ball, wrapped around [the] . . . rifle, playing dead. . . . Basically what happened is I got served up. "

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: gryphon]
      #183855 - 16/06/11 02:59 PM

Very, very lucky with such a major thigh trauma to be still with us. I guess the guide lost his tip ?

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: 500Nitro]
      #183856 - 16/06/11 03:08 PM

When he said that the guide missed,I wonder if that was to be a warning shot ?.
If it was it should have been taken sooner and then had time for the "kill shot".

If I was carrying the 470 it wouldn't have had one barrel still loaded when it was all over.

But once again,I wasn't there.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: FATBOY404]
      #183857 - 16/06/11 03:32 PM

Quote:

When he said that the guide missed,I wonder if that was to be a warning shot ?.
If it was it should have been taken sooner and then had time for the "kill shot".

If I was carrying the 470 it wouldn't have had one barrel still loaded when it was all over.

But once again,I wasn't there.

Regardless of whether you were there or not, I think you are right, not that I have faced Elephants but 1 warning,
1 kill shot - which hopefully would turn the animal if it didn't brain it.

Edited by 500Nitro (16/06/11 03:33 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: 500Nitro]
      #183875 - 16/06/11 06:10 PM

Note this wasn't a hunting safari. One wonders what experience the "guide" had.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #183905 - 16/06/11 09:32 PM

My first thought Nitro ! best

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #183933 - 17/06/11 01:19 AM

Perhaps photo safari's are all they're cracked up to be.

Bet that all trama stung for a day or two - Yikes!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: DarylS]
      #183962 - 17/06/11 07:17 AM

Quote:

Perhaps photo safari's are all they're cracked up to be.

So where are the photo's ?

Hard to believe the guide would make such a cock-up of firstly mistaking a charge for a bluff and secondly leaving it so late to react and thirdly being such a piss poor shot.
Tough lesson but hope for a full recovery.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: VonGruff]
      #184006 - 17/06/11 08:11 PM

On landing at the camp air strip in Mozambique two seasons (2009 &2010)in a row I found out that an elephant had just been killed in self defence. one was a 70+ pounder and the other was an 80Pounder. I was then starting to think I'm jinxed. I wonder what's going to happen this July...
After speaking to both PHs (good friends and extremely professional)about these two incidents (and others) I don't think I would put up a warning shot..
Bloody dangerous and just another reason for a BIG stick.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: ozhunter]
      #184011 - 17/06/11 09:09 PM

It is a brave man whom would risk shooting a mock charging elephant through the ear at 7 or 10 yards. I remember reading a Don Heath post, or someone like that, whom talked about facing off mock charges at that sort of range.

Now to me, smacking an elephant's ear almost within trunk smacking range takes a lot of guts.

Better the PH makes these decisions than an inexperienced client.

I also remember when going to Zimbabwe and was speaking to the agent the day before and he said be careful with the elephants, as they are dangerous and do charge and it is not play at all. He said if you feel in danger, just shoot the elephant.

Puts it in perspective the day before heading over. As Adam also says above about not putting in a warning shot.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
      #184014 - 17/06/11 10:00 PM

When I was in Zim my PH said if we were mock charged the game scout would fire over the top and if it keep coming he would fire first to kill and once that happened for me to "go hard".

It was good to have a plan and have discussed it.This was in a perfect world I know but at least we acknowledged the fact that it could happen.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

poprivit
.333 member

Reged: 09/04/07
Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: FATBOY404]
      #184028 - 18/06/11 03:42 AM

At 40 yards and full steam, there ain't no such thing as a warning shot! Shoot until the animal is down!

My elephant took a .577 nitro to the head. Missed the brain by less than an inch. He went down, then, 30 seconds later, got up. The second bbl took care of that. The problem was his Askari who took a strong dislike to Mother Murphy's eldest son (replete with an empty rifle). No running, but a damn fast reload. I found out later that the game scout, photog and #1 wife had run like blue hell the other way. This may have added some sort of provocation to the oncoming elephant.

We REALLY didn't want to shoot him, so the PH dropped a .470 in the dirt in front of him. This stopped him at about 30 yards and we were able to back him up with no problems. Whew. Botswana 1998.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: poprivit]
      #184031 - 18/06/11 04:26 AM

The "guide" has hopefully found a new job, as he clearly wasn't responsible enough to do what he was doing, nor understand the true consequences of what was going on.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: EricD]
      #184322 - 22/06/11 08:44 AM

Definitely a major OUCH!

PHMadness
.275 member

Reged: 26/05/11
Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: On Being Gored By An Elephant [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #184335 - 22/06/11 11:31 AM

I was in Chobe Natl. Park a few years back riding around with a guide and a few other people. One elephant started charging, our guide was unimpressed, a little while later another did the same, also unimpressed. A third one a bit later and he started the truck and hightailed it. Later someone asked why the different response? In his perfect Brit accent the guide says "The first were just having a bit of sport, the last was looking to stomp the $h1t out of you."

From that moment on I decided it was good to have someone who knew what they were doing around.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3598

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com