Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: the Saharan cheetah in Algeria

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
the Saharan cheetah in Algeria
      #178652 - 10/04/11 05:10 AM

this link from 2009 is not realy new but it may be interesting and new enough to post it here. didn't know before I found this cheetah's living in north africa in our time.

New evidence of critically-endangered cat

Monday 23 February 2009

The first camera-trap photographs of the critically endangered Northwest African or Saharan cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus hecki) in Algeria have been recorded by scientists led by ZSL and Office du Parc National de l’Ahaggar (OPNA).
A camera trap image of a cheetah © Farid Belbachir/ZSL/OPNA

The photographs were taken as part of the first systematic camera trap survey across the central Sahara, covering an area of 2,800 km². The survey identified four different Saharan cheetahs using spot patterns unique to each individual.

'The Saharan cheetah is critically endangered, yet virtually nothing is known about the population, so this new evidence, and the ongoing research work, is hugely significant,' said Dr Sarah Durant, Zoological Society of London Senior Research Fellow.

Farid Belbachir, who is implementing the field survey, adds: 'This is an incredibly rare and elusive subspecies of cheetah and current population estimates, which stand at less than 250 mature individuals, are based on guesswork. This study is helping us to turn a corner in our understanding, providing us with information about population numbers, movement and ecology.'

The Northwest African cheetah is found over the Sahara desert and savannas of North and West Africa, respectively, including Algeria, Niger, Mali, Benin, Burkina-Faso and Togo. The populations are very fragmented and small, with the biggest thought to be found in Algeria.

The ongoing surveys in the region will also work with the local Tuareg pastoralist community to find out more about the ecology of the cheetah and identify threats to it.

The research was undertaken by the Zoological Society of London, Office du Parc National de l’Ahaggar (OPNA) and Université de Béjaïa, with support from WCS and Panthera. Dr Luke Hunter, Panthera’s Executive Director, said 'This is very exciting news.

Cheetah

The photos are the first new data on this endangered sub-species, which also represent months of hard work by a very talented Algerian scientist and his team. Panthera is delighted to support Farid as part of our Kaplan Graduate Awards Program.'

The species as a whole has just been put on Appendix I on the Convention of Migratory Species, at the request of Algeria with support from other parties. This affords protection of the species from all signatory countries.
http://www.zsl.org/conservation/news/new-evidence-of-critically-endangered-cat,564,NS.html

also found this old pic from the days when the cheetah was around in arabia

what do you think? a Turkey Mauser M 90 rifle in 7,65x53?

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: the Saharan cheetah in Algeria [Re: lancaster]
      #178661 - 10/04/11 08:28 AM

He won't run-out of bullets in a hurry.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: the Saharan cheetah in Algeria [Re: Ben]
      #182267 - 23/05/11 06:00 PM

Interesting link. Had not seen this thread before.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: the Saharan cheetah in Algeria [Re: NitroX]
      #182273 - 23/05/11 06:52 PM

He won't run-out of bullets in a hurry.

Just saw that too Ben.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2275

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com