Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Would you still go to Zimbabwe?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Northern_Double
.224 member

Reged: 17/11/07
Loc: Canada
Would you still go to Zimbabwe?
      #89344 - 20/11/07 11:01 AM

With all the troubles that Zimbabwe has had, would you still go there for elephant and buffalo? Or would you pick another country?

Thanks,
Darrin

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: Northern_Double]
      #89360 - 20/11/07 02:39 PM

Since I'm a true Libra, and like things to be orderly, and without chaos, I have to give Zimbabwe a no go. I know there are some great Safaris to be had there, but as things stand right now, it would be a personality clash.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #89361 - 20/11/07 03:02 PM

Have been on 2 hunts there and have another booked for May of 2008--don't agree even a little bit with the current so called "leader"--however everyone I have talked to who has been there in the past 6 months has had NO troubles of any kind--I will however attempt to take extra precautions in the event civil chaos should erupt..hope for the best, prepare for the worst might be words to live by---seriously they have been warning about going there since at least 2003-or longer--so, I am going..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #89370 - 20/11/07 07:09 PM

Quote:

With all the troubles that Zimbabwe has had, would you still go there for elephant and buffalo?

Thanks,
Darrin

Yes - as soon as possible.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: 93mouse]
      #89383 - 21/11/07 12:24 AM

Yes, but I,d have a GPS with a discrete border crossing point entered onto it

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #89388 - 21/11/07 01:21 AM

No.

I hunted Zimbabwe in 2006 and then decided that I'd not hunt there again until conditions greatly improve in that country.

Next year, I'm hunting buffalo, hippo, leopard, crocodile and plainsgame in Zambia.

After that, I'm hunting in RSA and Namibia for plainsgame, Mozambique for buffalo, etc., and we'll see what happens that.

Zimbabwe isn't the only game in town, and I'm setting out to prove it.............

AD

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: allenday]
      #89395 - 21/11/07 04:44 AM

Allen
I don't think anyone is suggesting Zim is the only game in town..however, each to their own.. there is still some terrific hunting to be had there and I plan to take advantage of it..

Ripp

--------------------

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: Ripp]
      #89399 - 21/11/07 05:56 AM

I personally would not hesitate to go to Zim as a hunter/tourist. In fact, I wouldn't have a problem taking my wife and kids along either. But with that in mind, there are other options which are maybe just as good, or perhaps even better(?), without Zims difficulties and screwed up leadership.

Erik

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: EricD]
      #89424 - 21/11/07 10:41 AM

Me yes, Wife and kid, no Sir!!

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: Bramble]
      #89432 - 21/11/07 12:58 PM

Agree--my wife was going to go with my next spring--I suggested waiting until I go to either Tanzania or one of the other areas that are a bit more stable.

--------------------

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
      #89447 - 21/11/07 07:24 PM

Without hesitation,
I'll return to Zimbabwe

Many African countries are worse.
Should we boycott this country, many hard working (white) people will be robbed and then kicked out of the country.
In my opinion, we have to help people who persist to keep this country awkwardly afloat.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: larcher]
      #89448 - 21/11/07 08:03 PM

Well said JB.

Erik

lapua
.333 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Australia
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: EricD]
      #89459 - 21/11/07 11:41 PM

Guys try the Congo or E.Q. or Angola then you'll see the difference !! Why not Nigeria ..

--------------------
Cheers

lapua

ADF VETERAN ARMY

Lest We Forget

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #89484 - 22/11/07 11:35 AM

Be careful,you might end up being the game.
I can remember what happened in the late 60's and early 70's in RHODESIA and it is still happening today.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

armbar
.300 member

Reged: 25/05/05
Loc: So Cal USA
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #89495 - 22/11/07 03:49 PM

I think that the more important issue is the recent info given by SCI regarding who your safari fees go to. One should be very careful to make sure that your money doesn't go to people on the list that the US govt. has said supports Mugabe. IMHO it could be easy to hunt with someone who makes that list after you are already there. Making contact with SCI regarding this would be an important part of the planning.

This said, I would still go to Zim after investigating this.

Armbar.

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: armbar]
      #89777 - 26/11/07 12:44 PM

I hope to return in '08 and have some deposits paid. But I'll have some cash in hand and that discreet border crossing in mind too. No kids or wife for now on or for the foreseeable future.

JPK

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: JPK]
      #89878 - 27/11/07 03:10 PM

Quote:

I hope to return in '08 and have some deposits paid. But I'll have some cash in hand and that discreet border crossing in mind too. No kids or wife for now on or for the foreseeable future. JPK

I would go on safari in Zim again. But I would book only with established reputable outfitters whom have the resources to get supplies. I would also try to ensure the deposit money is held in a reputable agents hands or at least held in an account outside of Zim until just before the safari so if the political situation changes and the hunt can not be done I have more chances of a refund.

I also usually try to take at least a couple of thousand extra dollars in cash (not really enough) so you have some emergency spending money for bribes, charters etc if needed. I take this to any African country as a reserve.

As has been said there are far worse countries in Africa to hunt in as well.

There are good hunting opportunities in Zimbabwe and also some good people. If you want to hunt Africa and Zimbabwe is your best option then now is always the time to do it. Who knows what the future holds?

I have visited a lot of countries where I do not agree with the way their government is run and what it is doing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: NitroX]
      #89920 - 28/11/07 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I hope to return in '08 and have some deposits paid. But I'll have some cash in hand and that discreet border crossing in mind too. No kids or wife for now on or for the foreseeable future. JPK

I would go on safari in Zim again. But I would book only with established reputable outfitters whom have the resources to get supplies. I would also try to ensure the deposit money is held in a reputable agents hands or at least held in an account outside of Zim until just before the safari so if the political situation changes and the hunt can not be done I have more chances of a refund.

**Agree totally--made the mistake of "taking someones word for it" in 2004 and went with someone I really did not check out--BAD mistake--will NEVER do that again...shot lots of plains game however I was suppose to be shooting buffalo and/or leopard... never saw either in 21 days...

Might cost a bit more but well worth it..

Ripp

--------------------

jorge
.275 member

Reged: 13/07/05
Loc: Orange Park, Florida
      #89932 - 28/11/07 02:48 AM

In a heartbeat.

We all waited for one, just one negative report regarding Zim this year (wrt to any danger due to the situation there) and there was not a single reported here or in any of the other forums. Like others here, I firmly believe me need to support the PHs and the group of people (both white and black) who depend on them for their existence and more importantly, they are the one remainig bulwark against poaching. Would also LOVE to go to Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, etc., but one look at their pricing schedules puts pay to that idea. jorge

Bigfive
Sponsor

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Freestate,South-Africa
Re: Would you still go to Zimbabwe? [Re: jorge]
      #90078 - 29/11/07 06:58 PM

I go to Zim atleast once a year for business and then every now and then for Holiday. In 2005 me and my wife drove up to Kariba from JHB for a ten day holiday on a house boat to do some tiger fishing. It was absolutly fabulous and we are planning the next trip for 2008.

I have never had any problems in Zim and have some goods friends there. I'll go there hunting any time without any problems. I have travelled quite a few of African countries and the secret is not to be stubborn and not to get aggressive.

Zim is a great place despite the current political situation. The people is fantastic and so their hospitality.

In May I was in Bulawayo for business and while my colleage was in the shop to get some cold drinks and snacks I started talking to a fellow who tried to sell some potatoes to me. I told him that I am not interested but we went on chatting. I asked him in a very diplomatic way if it might be possible if he can change US100 for on the street for some Z$. He said no problems took the US$100 and off he went. This all happened around 10h15. My buddy came out of the shop and said we can go to our meeting @ 11h00. I told him what I have done and he laughed at me for giving away US100. We waited until about 10H50 and the guy never came back. Well we had our meeting for about 2 hours and on the way to the hotel I told him I just gonna pass through town quickly to see if I can spot this guy who took me for $100. As I turned into the street where I was parked he jumped infront of the car and ran up to my window. He was apologising non stop for taking so long and he felt very bad when he returned and saw that I had left. He told me he decided to wait there in the hope that I would return. He changed the money (BIG RISK FOR HIM) for me without any small commision or nothing. Purely a favour from one person to the other. I took the Zim$$$ and gave him a US$100. He was so greatfull it was unbelievable.
Now sorry to say but did this happen anywhere else in the world then I would've been short with US100. The general public in Zim -black and white- are very decent and nice people and they'll help you as far as possible for them without askng anything in return as with other African countries.

Hunt in Zim- ANY TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"Hunting is a way of life"
Bigfive,South Africa

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3285

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com