Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: rainforest huning, where?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
dino_hunter
.224 member

Reged: 23/10/07
Loc: Norway
rainforest huning, where?
      #87771 - 25/10/07 11:04 PM

HI all

I hope you can help me.

I am seeking information on where I can go hunting in rainforest´s? I know it can be done in C.A.R and Camerun, but are there more country´s offering it?

Good hunting

dino_hunter

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Askari
.224 member

Reged: 15/08/06
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: rainforest huning, where? [Re: dino_hunter]
      #88212 - 04/11/07 07:00 AM

Hello Dino Hunter: If you might be interested in a jungle hunt in Mexico for Brocket deer, peccary and several types of birds we can supply you with information on that hunt.

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Re: rainforest huning, where? [Re: Askari]
      #88229 - 04/11/07 08:41 PM

One possible option is Congo-Brazzaville: Have a look at: http://www.congo-site.net/v4x/tourism/trsmchass.php

I don't know how good or bad the hunting is there though.

Congo-Brazzaville shouldn't be mistaken for it's "dreaded" neighbour: The Democratic Republic of Congo, where hunting possibilities seem to have been an on and off thing these past few years after they officially opened tourist hunting again.

Supposedly hunting is also possible in Gabon, but as Harald Wolf wrote in Hatari Times a few years ago, his hunt was a disaster.

Erik

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: rainforest huning, where? [Re: EricD]
      #88363 - 07/11/07 04:16 AM

I made a couple of inquiries about Congo and Gabon

Gabon almost not possible, not to be considered as only a couple of high level guys could be allowed, courtesy of the president Omar Bongo.

Congo : almost everybody is hunting to get bushmeat. Very few is let to a foreign hunter. Moreover, the foreign hunter has to hunt in link with locals.

Chasse libre in Cameroon is very tricky, the loggers building logging road all over the country, what make poaching easier.
Chasse libre in Burkina Faso (there is no jungle in Burkina) is allowed in a few communal areas. As many commercial hunting outfits are deprived of game, I let You imagine what remains in not controlled communal areas.
good luck

NB : jungle hunts are possible with registered outfitters in Cameroon and CAR.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Edited by larcher (07/11/07 04:17 AM)

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: rainforest huning, where? [Re: larcher]
      #88415 - 07/11/07 02:21 PM

I got this email today regarding Gabon:

NOTES FROM AFIELD

brought to you by Safari Press & Sports Afield

6 November 2007

Gabon Reopens to Hunting

Longtime African hunters may remember when the country of Gabon was open to hunting in the 1980s. It was a game-rich destination with many different species. Now, through the Paris booking agency Club-Faune, a limited program of hunting is once again available in this West African country.

As far back as the 1960s, the venerable James Mellon spoke of Gabon as a country in which “good hunting conditions will prevail till the last sportsman alive today has hung up his rifle.” It seems such conditions still prevail today, and four hunters went to Gabon this fall including Sports Afield Field Editor Peter Flack, who just returned from a fourteen-day hunt there.

Three of the hunters obtained forest sitatunga, a real prize and a very difficult animal to get anywhere in Africa. Currently bongo and elephant are not on license, and it is not known when this might change. Elephant certainly will be problematic because of the CITES regulations.

Peter Flack sent us this report:
“This new hunting initiative, brought about by a combination of the government of Gabon, COMILOG, a French mining company, Club Faune, and Phillipe Chardonnet from the Wildlife Conservation Fund, is a major achievement in re-introducing legally authorized hunting into Gabon and, if successful, it is no exaggeration to say that it may create a valuable precedent for west and central Africa which could have far-reaching effects for conservation of wildlife in the region.

“After seeing eighty-two dwarf forest buffalo in eight separate herds in three days, I believe that this is the finest hunting area for this animal in Africa today. It may also be the same for forest sitatunga, as the three hunters that preceded me all shot outstanding trophies but, unfortunately, I did not see a whole one and only caught glimpses of the flank of one and the horns of another. It is also the only area today where you can legally hunt Gabon and black-fronted duikers, and, among the first four hunters, we shot specimens of each.

“I attach a photo of the dwarf forest buffalo that I shot at sixty paces in the savanna on the fringe of the forest in the early morning when it emerged with a herd to feed as they seem to regularly do. It then ran into the forest where it died, but the follow-up was as interesting as you ever want one of these things to be, as you can see from the vegetation surrounding where the bull died.”

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

larcher
.416 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Saverne, Alsace, France
Re: rainforest huning, where? [Re: Charles_Helm]
      #88441 - 07/11/07 10:24 PM

Damn Charles

I was on the point to post Safari press information.

Club faune is a serious outfit. Chardonnet is a veterinarian and talented scientist in charge of many surveys in Africa.
Their being part of the reopening is an excellent omen.
Nonetheless, I keep myself reserved, Gaboon has been almost closed for a long time and many places are (legally) poached.
The depicted buff herds should be the ones roaming close to a national park(s) that are offered the tourists to spot at.
Sitatunga is more appetizing.
I have to get more datas.

--------------------
"I don't want to create an encyclopedic atmosphere here when we might be having a beer instead" P H Capstick in "Safari the last adventure."

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
Re: rainforest huning, where? [Re: larcher]
      #88494 - 08/11/07 02:22 PM

Sorry! Did not mean to beat you to the punch.

I think a lot of us are intrigued by newly-opened areas, but it seems they can be fraught with problems.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1795

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com