Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Newbie seeks info on first trip to Africa...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
ATHiker07
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/04
Loc: Florida
Newbie seeks info on first trip to Africa...
      #22086 - 11/12/04 03:05 AM

Hey everyone, I've spent the past couple days reading most of the old threads in my spare time. Wish I'd found this site long ago!

My question is this, I was planning a caribou trip to Canada in a couple years but I got to thinking, why not Africa instead? It can be nearly the same cost if you shop around, at least from what I've seen. I have always wanted to do it and I convinced the wife to get me a .375 H&H for Christmas. But I need some advise. Should I go after just plains game on my first trip, or go straight for Buff which is what I really want. I have been hunting in the states for 25 years and I'm getting the wanderlust!

It will be at least 3 years before I go, and probably another 4 or 5 before I could go back.

--------------------
Take a child hunting, they are the future of our sport!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Newbie seeks info on first trip to Africa... [Re: ATHiker07]
      #22097 - 11/12/04 04:12 AM

Welcome to the forum........I know you're gonna enjoy it.

Sounds like you're an experienced hunter, and it's a loooong way to come. In your position I'd probably opt for a 7 day Buffalo and plains game hunt. ......once you've done one, I guarantee you'll want to keep on coming back.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #22119 - 11/12/04 12:48 PM

If Cape Buffalo is what you really want, don't put your dream on hold. Go for it. One thing you may want to consider is doing a combination plains game/buffalo hunt for 10-14 days. You travel a long way to get to Africa, so why limit yourself to 1 animal when there is so much available. By the way, I promise that once you go, you'll just have to go back again, and again, and again.........

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Newbie seeks info on first trip to Africa... [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #22123 - 11/12/04 04:39 PM

Mike's dead right about having a longer hunt if you can.

If you chose Tanzania you can extend a 7 day licence to allow you to hunt for 10 days or you could have a 14 or 16 day licence and even extend that for a few more days if you wanted to.

Having said that, it's usually possible to take all of the animals on the 7 day licence (and occur in that particular area) in 7 days, but to do so can mean it gets a bit intense.

You'll find details of which species can be hunted on which licence on my website........just click on the Tanzania page.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

ATHiker07
.275 member

Re: Newbie seeks info on first trip to Africa... [Re: shakari]
      #22178 - 13/12/04 11:31 AM

Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll start saving for a 10 day combo hunt. I want a Buff, a Kudu and a Gemsbuck for sure. After that I don't really have any strong preferences. Good hunting everyone...

--------------------

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #22181 - 13/12/04 11:50 AM

You're really going to have to do your homework. It might be tough to take a Buff, Kudu, and Gemsbok in the same area, except perhaps on some ranches in South Africa, and the Buffalo are very expensive there-minimun of $10K U.S. If you forget about the Gemsbok, there are a lot more options. Buff and Kudu can be had on the same trip in Zimbabwe.

ATHiker07
.275 member

Re: Newbie seeks info on first trip to Africa... [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #22201 - 14/12/04 02:19 AM

Thanks, obviously I'm still getting a feel for the whole "Africa" thing. Guess that will give me an excuse to go back a second time...HMMMM

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #22217 - 14/12/04 12:39 PM

A good idea is to make a list of animals you 'must have', preferably in order, those that you might like etc.

Also the place you would like to hunt as well. Different areas have different atmospheres.

Work out how much you can afford and contact some outfitters or if you prefer agents and see what might fit into your budget.

Unless ranch hunting you will probably not get all your 'must have' animals in one safari so will have to decide.

I hunted Zimbabwe on my first safari and also wanted a gemsbok. Now after three safaris I still haven't taken one. A trip to Namibia will be called for one of these days.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

cowboy
.275 member

Reged: 20/03/04
Loc: Northern Wyoming, USA
      #22481 - 21/12/04 01:27 PM

The real bottom line is "just do it", I've met way too many people who have talked, thought, planned, dreamed,.. about going to Africa & just never made it. Most of them had both the money & the time to do it. If you really want a Buff then try to work it in with a plains game safari, it will certainly add to the cost of the hunt. If that would mean postponing it a year (or forever as I've seen), then I would go now & do plains game only.

I think Zimbabwe is the best value for a plains game/buff combo safari.

A great older acquaitance of mine told me to put a deposit down with an outfitter/booking agent when you start to think about it. Once you do that, you are somewhat committed & hopefully end up going! GOOD LUCK

BIGGAMEHUNTER
.224 member

Reged: 19/12/04
Loc: Mich
Re: Newbie seeks info on first trip to Africa... [Re: cowboy]
      #22482 - 21/12/04 01:47 PM

Thats what i did put my depost down then started searching airfare as soon as i bought the tickets it was a for sure thing you just need to buy your tickets well in advance i noticed when i started looking at ticket prices around this time of year they were cheaper then in May. but had mine 3 months ahead of time that give me pleanty of time to save up for the rest plus some extra speanding.
I have to disagree with the ranches not having alot of the game the ranch i went to has alot besides lepards, lions,elephants and few others but they have capes, sables,nyala,gems,heartbeest and the list goes on hippo,rhino, it just means you have to do your home work and not just go with the ranch that has the cheapest price. but the cheapest price with more to offer.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1927

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com