Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Questions from new member

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NONE
.300 member

Reged: 15/12/03
Questions from new member
      #5675 - 15/12/03 10:46 AM

Hello,

I have recently found this site in my search for information on an up coming safari. I have read over this site as well as others and found them to be good sources of information for an admited novice in the field of DG hunting in Africa.

My questions are, I would assume standard for one interested in this undertaking though I found no mention of them in the pages of previous post I have scanned through.

My interest is in a nice bull buff and plains game on this trip and I would like to pose the question I am sure has no true "right" answer as to what exactly should I plan to spend on a good hunt?
I have looked over a smattering of PH sites and found a huge array of prices and the hidden cost seam to be almost as unclear as the disclosed ones.

So If I might inquire on some of the first hand experiences of those who have recently been there it would be of a great help to my planning.

My requirements would be a good fair chase hunt I am leaning in the direction of central africa as I have no interested in placed game nor hunting in small areas of fenced compounds to simply walk out and take game. I would prefer a moving tent safari with nice accomedations if this is a reality in modern days. I would be willing to devote the large portion of the safari to a trophy cape though a elan, bush buck, warthog etc would make for some nice plains game as well. The number not being the motive as much as quality of game and the overall African experience.

It seams the basics such as customary tips, trophy fees, day rates etc... are common knowlage but the travel expense, CITES fees, licence fees for hunters and rifles, government levies, dipping/packing and if this is event need for trophies not wished to return etc etc... leaves a lot of speculation and "grey" areas for lack of a better term.

I am sure once I find the PH and outfit I plan to secure for the hunt a fair amount of this would be cleared up but I am simply the sort that likes to know the answers before I ask the questions to those I intend to hire and believe it will help me sort out in the end the outfit I decide upon.

I also would like some help on were to procure a double of vintage for the hunt. I have recently purchased a Dakota Arms "Classic 76" in 7MM and placed a Swarovski 2.5-10 Habibicht on for optics, for my plains game.
I had settled on a Merkel double in 470NE but have recently read some posters saying you could for the same funds or a pinch more procure one of the british doubles of vintage. I for the shear romance of the piece would love one of the 450 or 470 NE doubles of british heritage though the Merkle at ten thousand US seams priced well blow any of the doubles I have found so far on the open market of vintage or heritage.

Thanks in advance for any help you could shed on my inquiries as I have a bit shy of a year to gather information until I hope to be recanting the days events over a sundowner.

James F Nixon III

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Questions from new member [Re: NONE]
      #5676 - 15/12/03 11:39 AM

James

The first question that comes to mind is how much do you want to spend? Tanzania is probably best for what you want and a Buff hunt in the $10000/7 days area is a reality. Zimbabwe is another option.

I think that for a first timer you would be well served to use a quality Booking Agent. Finding one of these could be as hard as finding a PH though.

You should got to the SCI Convention in Reno the end of January. There you can meet a lot of Outfitters and agents and make your choices.

As far as the English Double is concerned you can pick one up in the 400 through 450 class for $10000 - 15000. Your best bet would be to deal with a known dealer and have a n inspection period that would allow for a knowledgable party to inspect it for you.

Prices may vary depending on where you are from.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #5678 - 15/12/03 12:11 PM

There are several good booking agents that frequent this forum. You may want to address a thread to their attention. I'm positive any one of them can help you out. It would help you and them out if you posted your email address so they can send you information.

NONE
.300 member

Re: Questions from new member [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #5689 - 15/12/03 02:23 PM

Thank you both for the reply.

MICKEY,
I do not have a set cost of now per say of course I would like to get a good deal for the outlay. The 10K range would be a good start for a "first time out" so to speak and I would be willing to spend a bit more if needed to assure a good hunt with a experienced PH and a nice setting. I have waited for this hunt for some time now and simply like to know up front what it will entail.

The info on the SCI show is very beneficial, I will check the site for details and make arangements to attend as I believe that would be of a large benefit to my overall knowledge on the subject.

I will also not yet abandon the search for the perfect English double, maybe the SCI show will add a rifle to the safe in my requirements. All others aside I always have the Merkel as a option only two weeks from order to procurement and I could with out much effort have it fitted at a latter date with shotty barrels.

Mikeh416Rigby

Thanks, I was under the impression the Email could be accessed from you user name, forgive my unfamiliarity with this site. Mine is Jnpsnixon@alltel.net. I will also post another topic addressed to the booking agents. Thanks for the suggestion to do so.

James F Nixon III

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
      #5697 - 15/12/03 04:07 PM

Hi James,

You're quite right to say that the pricing of an African safari is full of confusing hidden charges for the newcomer, and I'd also agree with Mickey regarding Tanzania and Zim (but be careful of which area in Zim) as good choices of destination. Botswana would also be worth considering.

You might like to take a look at our website (address below) for details of some of our 2004 packages where we spell everything out for the various countries we operate in.

I'll also send you an e-mail with full details of how we price our safaris ane exactly what is included and what is not.

An important rule to remember is that if something sounds too good to be true, then it probably is.

Wherever you book, have a great hunt.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Edited by shakari (16/12/03 06:39 AM)

NONE
.300 member

Re: Questions from new member [Re: shakari]
      #5734 - 16/12/03 10:39 AM

Thanks for the replie here and via email. I agree with your candor about things appearing to good to be true many times and I avoid such things on the same principle . I will contact you by email in regards to your correspondence by same.

James F Nixon III

Edited by NONE (16/12/03 10:39 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1437

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com