Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: "Lions near extinction" per SBS

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
"Lions near extinction" per SBS
      #4217 - 19/09/03 12:42 PM

Australia's second government owned broadcaster, SBS, ran a story today claiming 50% of the lion population of Africa has died off in the last twenty years. Resulting in real fears of extinction they claim.

They then went to a dude with sun glasses who claimed the decrease in lions was due to cattle ranching, poisioning and of course their pet hate, hunting.

But was this the real story ?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: "Lions near extinction" per SBS [Re: NitroX]
      #4218 - 19/09/03 12:52 PM

"In Laikipia you could make half a million dollars a year by shooting the problem animals that are going to be killed anyhow," he says.

Controversially, Dr Frank says the only solution is for local people to earn money from the predators, either through tourism or through sport hunting.

The full BBC article from which SBS "drew" its inspiration:

Lions 'close to extinction'

Lion populations have fallen by almost 90% in the past 20 years, leaving the animal close to extinction in Africa, a wildlife expert has warned.

Live with them or lose them

There are now only 23,000 left, compared to an estimated 200,000 two decades ago, according to Laurence Frank, a wildlife biologist from the University of California.

Drawing on a study in Kenya, he says that the only hope for lions and other predators is for humans and wildlife to live together.

Clare Wallerstein of the International Fund for Wildlife Welfare told the BBC that the problem would get worse as Kenya's human population doubled in the next 12 years.

Populations plummeting

Interviewed in New Scientist magazine, Dr Frank says "It's not just lions. Populations of all African predators are plummeting."

The wild dog population has fallen to between 3,500 and 5,000 and there are now fewer than 15,000 cheetahs.

"People know about elephants, gorillas and rhinos, but they seem blissfully unaware that these large carnivores are nearing the brink," he says.

Dr Frank blamed the decline in predator numbers on people killing them to protect livestock.

"People have always killed predators," he says. "But there's only so much damage you can do with spears and shields."

"Now everyone has got rifles and poisons."

His study of the Laikipia region of Kenya convinced him that predators and farmers could co-exist peacefully.

Improved fencing and dogs to raise the alarm when predators approach could cut attacks drastically.

But with each lion killing livestock worth on average £200 a year, equivalent to one cow or three sheep, "bullets and poison are always cheaper than good husbandry".

Controversially, Dr Frank says the only solution is for local people to earn money from the predators, either through tourism or through sport hunting.

"In Laikipia you could make half a million dollars a year by shooting the problem animals that are going to be killed anyhow," he says.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Honey_badger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: UK
Re: "Lions near extinction" per SBS [Re: NitroX]
      #4222 - 20/09/03 03:20 AM

I saw the original article on the BBC website today, and thought "what's all this bollocks?" until I got to the last paragraph when I found myself suddenly in total agreement with the guy! Like we've always known, a species that has an inherent value is safe from extinction - sustainible utilisation!

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: "Lions near extinction" per SBS [Re: Honey_badger]
      #4224 - 20/09/03 03:51 AM

Lion hunting is one of the toughest types of hunting to do correctly and also one of the easiest to do incorrectly. Beware of anyone who tells you that they will watch the area to locate the prides before the client arrives to make it easier. If you shoot a Lion out of a pride you are, (probably) in effect killing not one Lion but several, as the new incoming male will kill all the (small) young of his predecessor....... this can play havoc with the Lion population of the area for years to come.

A good PH who cares for his area will try to ensure that the client either shoots a nomadic Male or an old guy who has already been kicked out of the pride by a younger and stronger male.......

As with all things in Africa, one should never say never and never say always, but that's the the way it should work MOST of the time.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

Honey_badger
.275 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: UK
Re: "Lions near extinction" per SBS [Re: shakari]
      #4225 - 20/09/03 03:57 AM

Always good to hear the responsibe PH's view on the subject.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1565

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com