Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: End of barrel leopard charge

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
End of barrel leopard charge
      #382706 - 20/02/24 02:19 AM

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/14yoFF3DbqQxoVEp/?mibextid=Nif5oz

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: NitroX]
      #382709 - 20/02/24 02:35 AM

Quote:

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/14yoFF3DbqQxoVEp/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Whoa!!

Fellow could have made good use of a bayonet!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: 9.3x57]
      #382712 - 20/02/24 06:03 AM

That was Fast!
Just thinking back(a long way), the only thing ever charged me, was a ground hog.
Happy with that.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

fjrdoc
.300 member

Reged: 20/05/22
Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: DarylS]
      #382724 - 20/02/24 11:18 PM

Those ground hogs can get mean if you get between them and their hole.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: fjrdoc]
      #382728 - 21/02/24 04:02 AM

LOL - just kicked him in the face, flipping him over, then shot him. Should be able to do that same with Leo? No?
That leopard in the video was a big one. Maybe not.

--------------------
Daryl

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #382732 - 21/02/24 07:05 AM

Lucky old mate had the rifle pointed in the right direction at the time!
If the leopard had come from the side he would be screwed!
Man that was fast!

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: 93x64mm]
      #382733 - 21/02/24 07:48 AM

I have been told by the survivor of a Leopard attack that for every second a leopard is on you it is100 stitches. Also that if there is more than one person the leopard will bounce from one to the next were as a Lion will kill the first person it attacks then worry about the others.

DarylS
.700 member

Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: Rule303]
      #382734 - 21/02/24 09:54 AM

Yeah - would not want to be anywhere near a leo attack. So fast.

--------------------
Daryl

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #382736 - 21/02/24 10:28 AM

If you enjoyed this attack you may like this as much or more
Leopold charge

DarylS
.700 member

Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: LRF]
      #382737 - 21/02/24 01:57 PM

Looked like the black fella had a .458 Winnie. Following up a moose in grizzly country can be almost as exciting. Almost. The bears have started using rifle shots as dinner bells.
Getting too old for this sort of excitement or maybe too slow moving.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: 93x64mm]
      #382738 - 21/02/24 02:09 PM

Quote:

Lucky old mate had the rifle pointed in the right direction at the time!
If the leopard had come from the side he would be screwed!
Man that was fast!

Dogs barking and sound of the leopard coming would be aids to the direction.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382739 - 21/02/24 03:14 PM

Quote:

[url=https://www.facebook.com/share/v/14yoFF3DbqQxoVEp/?mibextid=Nif5oz]https://www.facebook.com/
share/v/14yoFF3DbqQxoVEp/?mibextid=Nif5oz[/url]

Was the first shot while the leopard was actually pushing onto, touching the muzzle?

No need to aim then, just pull the trigger.

So very fast, the leopard comes out of nowhere.

Most PHs I have met, if they've had an actual Big Five attack and wounding, it's always leopard.

But while far more common for leopard, perhaps with lion, rhino, buffalo and elephant youre more likely to be dead.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382740 - 21/02/24 03:18 PM

Quote:

If you enjoyed this attack you may like this as much or more
Leopold charge

Need the actual video link.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

LRF
.333 member

Reged: 28/03/11
Loc: minnesota ,usa
      #382747 - 21/02/24 10:41 PM

Hmmm, works fine when I click on the "Leopold charge" link, however here is the kink
https://www.google.com/search?q=leopard+...ld=cid:d5fc93fe,vid:GOaxdogqu9M,st:0

For that to work you may need to copy and paste

9.3x57
.450 member

#382751 - 22/02/24 02:01 AM

This vid below maybe has been posted before? The commentary will drive you nuts but there are a couple of charges/attacks that I've never seen before and one involves dogs and a sixgun which I don't think the guy got running before the cat was on top of him.

Also note the use of shotguns.

The first charge is a doozy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki8tUBOBje0

Quote:

Dogs barking and sound of the leopard coming would be aids to the direction.

YES! Absolutely.

Regarding dogs:

Dogs are a plus (and a minus) in a situation like that and likely a minus at times, too. The plus is of course that they can smell and hear better than we can and can offer that much advantage in finding the thing laid up exactly as you say. That is golden. But then if they wade into it the pluses and minuses start to even out as while the dogs can slow a charge by mixing it up with the cat (in our case, mountain lion or black bear), one does not want to hit a valuable dog when shooting the cat. A "Catch 22" since allowing the fight to go on likely means more wounding of the dogs.

I know many fellows around here that have had to stop dog and bear fights and it can get very tricky. Here's an anecdote mirroring what I suspect has happened with leopard hunted with dogs. (Not sure where to post it so if it is too much topic drift, Nitro just let me know and I'll delete or move it or something.)

Posted many years ago here, I myself had a fight with a rather small bear (a bit bigger than that leopard in the rifle muzzle stop vid) that would neither bay nor tree as is the way with the aggressive ones. First shot was after 2 hours of hard race at about 40 yards as the bear waddled across an overgrown logging road. It dropped at the shot and lay still. We breathed easy but then a couple dogs arrived and jumped on it. With that the bear blew up, grabbed a dog...in a bear hug...and rolled down the far bank out of sight. I ran to where I thought it had gone over then ran down the slope and hit it again as it was running away from me at about 15 yards, bullet entering in the seat of its pants, that bullet we later recovered under the hide on offside shoulder. The bear swatted at its butt and turned, saw me and came for me. I fired again very close but due to the mayhem and that "dogging" concern for the dogs, hit it too far back. Then the dogs were on it and a real shitshow ensued, a mass of claws and teeth and growling bear and screaming dogs. In that case the dogs certainly helped in a manner of speaking as they gave the bear something to think about besides me which was good as the bear was at this point at my ankles. Another fellow came in from the side, poked the muzzle of his rifle at the bear's head and then walked away without firing a shot. I leaned over and when a bit of bear chest opened up gave it what I thought were two more shots fast double action (my son later said it sounded like a burst from the Stemple submachine gun we had at the time), then when another opportunity arose gave it the last except the wheelgun had already run dry and I just clicked away on empty cases, muzzle now right up against the black hide. My then-14-year-old son was right behind me and saw me go dumb, fumbling for rounds from my belt while the bear still showed no sign of giving up so he dove over my left shoulder and with the one 7x57R round in his Baikal combination gun more or less bayoneted the bear with a 139 grain bullet. With that things slowed down and I'd gotten a couple rounds in the cylinder but the bear had expired. The torn up dogs worried it for a while and we packed it out.

I am pretty certain something similar to my experience has happened with leopard hunts at times. Very tricky to avoid shooting the dogs. The videos I've watched indicate a very similar hunt to our bear hunts and to a degree our mountain lion hunts, tho in winter when they are hunted, lion do not run far and typically give a very easy shot treed. Why leopard are different than mountain lion I do not know. ML will and do attack people in the regions where they are not hunted (California comes to mind) but leopard when hunted seem to be a different thing. Anyway, some guys even use .22 Mag revolvers on ML when treed and I doubt anyone with functioning gray matter would want to try that with a treed leopard.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

#382758 - 22/02/24 04:24 AM

I think a DGS Gualandi 12 bore slug might work well on a leo, if 30yds. or closer.
They are my choice for camp bear, but have never had to use one. They just shoot well in my rifled Mossey.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#382766 - 22/02/24 03:38 PM

Quote:

I think a DGS Gualandi 12 bore slug might work well on a leo, if 30yds. or closer.
They are my choice for camp bear, but have never had to use one. They just shoot well in my rifled Mossey.

I'd think so. At very close range certainly good 3" 0, 00 or 000 would work well I'd think. For that matter, anything down to English SSG/US #2 would probably be great tho the problem with buck is that it loses performance fast as you increase the range.

I have worked up some fantastic dense patterning 12 ga loads but even so, at 40 meters which is my patterning range and even w/ the dense pattern showing, I'd still rather have a rifle even in say .30-06 or similar caliber and larger yet would give that much more advantage to the rifle.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#382774 - 23/02/24 05:53 AM

For longer ranges, yes of course. Single large bore fast opening if possible - or a big slap.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#382775 - 23/02/24 06:00 AM

Quote:

For longer ranges, yes of course. Single large bore fast opening if possible - or a big slap.

I suppose no one keeps a .458 around just for following up leopards but it seems to me pretty hard to imagine a better combination than one loaded with 300 or 350 grain bullets. For that matter, a lever gun in .45-70 or .444 Marlin might be pretty effective, too. Houndsman friend of mine took a trouble-making 180 lb mountain lion a few years ago and frankly, facing a leopard of that size I don't think there is any caliber or load I'd consider "too much"!

--------------------

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #382781 - 23/02/24 08:26 AM

At near end of barrel range 7 shot will penetrate further than any buck shot. Several US Law Enforcement agencies have conducted test that show this, though for some reason I would feel more comfortable with 0 size buckshot.

I like the idea of a short barrel 45-70 for close in Leopard protection.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: Rule303]
      #382783 - 23/02/24 08:55 AM

Quote:

At near end of barrel range 7 shot will penetrate further than any buck shot. Several US Law Enforcement agencies have conducted test that show this, though for some reason I would feel more comfortable with 0 size buckshot.

That is interesting. I find it hard to believe. So, not arguing w/ you at all but I would really like to test that #7 vs buckshot in my boards and jugs! Any idea what the LE test medium was?

--------------------

eagle27
.400 member

Reged: 24/01/09
Loc: Nelson, New Zealand
      #382785 - 23/02/24 11:56 AM

In regards effectiveness of larger bore cartridges in lever guns for end of barrel kills on cats, Kenneth Anderson, who slew quite a few maneater tigers and panthers (leopards) when operating out of Bangalore, Southern India, last century, used a '95 Winchester lever in 405 Win. Some of his kills were within feet of the end of his barrel after he had to rapidly work the lever to get off the final killing shot.
Kenneth's son, Donald, also hunted and dispatched quite a few cats including a leopard famously caught on film as it charged him from ambush. He was a left hander using a Mauser 10.75x68. Donald had set out after the problem leopard accompanied by a couple of his old school friends and walked past the animal hiding in the bush on the edge of a small clearing. He heard the leopard grunt and come for him. Fortunately the leopard came for him rather than his two unarmed friends, one the photographer, who were lagging behind Donald. First shot put it down but another needed to put its lights out. A cool headed shot in a close charge and then rapid reload with a bolt action for a left hander.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: End of barrel leopard charge [Re: eagle27]
      #382786 - 23/02/24 12:08 PM

Quote:

In regards effectiveness of larger bore cartridges in lever guns for end of barrel kills on cats, Kenneth Anderson, who slew quite a few maneater tigers and panthers (leopards) when operating out of Bangalore, Southern India, last century, used a '95 Winchester lever in 405 Win. Some of his kills were within feet of the end of his barrel after he had to rapidly work the lever to get off the final killing shot.
Kenneth's son, Donald, also hunted and dispatched quite a few cats including a leopard famously caught on film as it charged him from ambush. He was a left hander using a Mauser 10.75x68. Donald had set out after the problem leopard accompanied by a couple of his old school friends and walked past the animal hiding in the bush on the edge of a small clearing. He heard the leopard grunt and come for him. Fortunately the leopard came for him rather than his two unarmed friends, one the photographer, who were lagging behind Donald. First shot put it down but another needed to put its lights out. A cool headed shot in a close charge and then rapid reload with a bolt action for a left hander.

That's quite a post there! Excellent material especially as I'm a Southpaw.

That account reminds me of my son who had a rather interesting experience with mountain lion that blew up and out of the brush in front of him here on the ranch some years back. Headed the other way not toward him but he collected it nonetheless. I won't muddy the topic waters.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#382791 - 23/02/24 02:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That is interesting. I find it hard to believe. So, not arguing w/ you at all but I would really like to test that #7 vs buckshot in my boards and jugs! Any idea what the LE test medium was?

I am curious as well. Saw some close penetration of 12 bore #4's I think, then I think they went to 00 buckshot and Foster slugs. Not sure on exact shot sizes, though.
In all cases the slugs caused the most damage on the "human" torso(s) used, depth and well as radiating damage to tissue and bones. They were actually quite devastating.

granand thumb was the u-tube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAi2R3Iv8Y&ab_channel=GarandThumb

Charlie is, well, comedic support, kinda.

--------------------
Daryl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#382793 - 23/02/24 03:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I am curious as well. Saw some close penetration of 12 bore #4's I think, then I think they went to 00 buckshot and Foster slugs. Not sure on exact shot sizes, though.
In all cases the slugs caused the most damage on the "human" torso(s) used, depth and well as radiating damage to tissue and bones. They were actually quite devastating.

granand thumb was the u-tube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAi2R3Iv8Y&ab_channel=GarandThumb

Charlie is, well, comedic support, kinda.

No.7 shot would be used by police as they don't want casualties among other persons in a house. For the opposite reasons as no.7 shot won't penetrate walls etc.

At very close range any shot clump makes a big hole.

But no smart persons would be planning for such extremely close range shooting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 983

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com