Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Eland 'Medicine'

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Eland 'Medicine'
      #123141 - 06/01/09 02:53 PM

What calibre and projectile has worked for you and at what range ?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: tophet1]
      #123142 - 06/01/09 03:17 PM

.30-06 200 gr Nosler Partition. Maybe 100 yards. Shot from a rear angle on the left side to penetrate to the heart through a gap in the trees while the animals were walking. Eland ran a few steps then stopped shaking. We ran up and I gave him another shot to the broadside raking him. He fell over and died after a few minutes.

Was actually hunting a klipspringer when the fleeing klipspringer spooked a herd of eland that crashed away. We followed, at a jog for a couple of kilometres then a fast walk, tracking job for another two kilometres. I was very pleased to spot the first eland through the bush, just a rear leg knee, but George a tracker immediately saw my look and whispered the sighting forward. We had four trackers, and the PH plus me. We then quietly followed, and the eland were slowing as feeding as they walked. We still followed for about another kilometre while the bull was assessed and the opportunity for the shot presented itself.

I remember this hunt because it was a glorious chase, stalk and perfect shot. They got to happen by chance sometimes at least!

Also the PH Wayne Jardine was happy as another PH in the camp whom was doing live game capture by helicopter said it wasn't possible to kill eland with a mere .30-06. And he wanted to prove the guy wrong.

I would prefer my .375 H&H Mag or 9.3mm now, but all I had was a .30-06 and it did the job.

This was back in 1993, at Chipisi near West Nicholson in the South, on the Halstead Ranch in Zimbabwe. A game rich free range farm, since taken over by 'warvets' and no doubt now a wasteland. Right next door Charlie Stanton of Mbalabala Safaris had a ranch where many Aussies would have hunted as well.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (15/11/11 03:09 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #123179 - 07/01/09 12:33 AM

Quote:

What calibre and projectile has worked for you and at what range ?

In the ones I shot--(2)---have used a .416 and 300 Ultra mag--shooting 400 gr A-Frames out of the .416 and 200 gr A-Frames out of the 300 Ultra--

Quite honestly, the largest of the 2 was the one I shot with the 300 Ultra--and it died within 40 yards of where I shot it..shot was about 80 yards...

The one I shot with the .416 Remington dropped to the shot---struggled a bit and died..shot was about 40 yards in very thick jess..

They are a very large animal--usually larger than a cape buffalo in weight..you want a bullet that has some penetration, and will expand to inflict damage, imo...the A-Frame is what I would use again if I had the chance at another...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #123192 - 07/01/09 02:55 AM

We were out in a high desert/plain area of Kenya, treeless, with only the occasional bush, when we saw an eland bull coming across our front from the right, angling away toward the left. Evidently there was a water hole of sorts he was heading for, because he paused when he reached it. The range was about 225 yards.

There was too much undergrowth to use either the prone or kneeling position, so I eased myself down across a big thorn bush. The thought crossed my mind that it was like those World War I movies, where one soldier lies down across the barbed wire apron so his comrades can use him as a bridge. Well, I had no comrades, so it wan't nearly as painful and surprisingly good support, if a little springy.

I was using my Krieghoff O/U DR in .375 H&H with a 3X Lyman All American scope, 300 grain Silvertip factory loads. I aimed for the shoulder and fired, producing no immediate effect, except that he turned to his right and started away, leaving only a "Texas brain shot" up the rear. I fired again, he went down. When we got to him, he was dead from the first shot, which had gone straight through the boiler room and stopped under the skin on the off side. The second shot had shattered the left ball joint of the pelvis and the bullet, nicely expanded, was recovered from the socket.

Later on we came across a very sick and emiciated old eland bull, which my PH asked me to put down, which I did, again with the .375. One shot did the trick.

Nothing I shot with that .375, which included in addition lion, leopard, greater and lesser kudu, moved more than a few steps from the spot where he was standing when the bullet struck him.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: xausa]
      #123193 - 07/01/09 03:10 AM

Quote:

Nothing I shot with that .375, which included in addition lion, leopard, greater and lesser kudu, moved more than a few steps from the spot where he was standing when the bullet struck him.

It is very difficult to argue with such success. Way to go, xausa. The old H&H is difficult to argue against, especially with the new modern high velocity ammo , a full 100fps higher than originally loaded.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: DarylS]
      #123195 - 07/01/09 03:13 AM

I have yet to hunt Eland but, in my mind, I would love to take one with either my .340 Weatherby using 250 grain Partitions, or my .375 H&H using 300 grainers.

--------------------

JPK
.375 member

Reged: 31/08/04
Loc: Chevy Chase, MD
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #123213 - 07/01/09 06:38 AM

I have shot only one.

Range = 75yds
Cartridge = 375H&H
Bullet = 300gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaw from standard velocity Federal factory ammo
Save Conservancy, Humani Ranch

We had hiked across country from pan to pan looking for eland tracks to follow. When we had gotten to the last pan in a series, the PH told one of the trackers to cut across country and bring the truck to the pan. We were hung over as hell, having celebrated another fellow's 80lb elephant, taken in Moz, the night before, but unlike everyone else, we'd left camp at 0:dark:30 as ussual. The break waiting for the truck was welcome.

Not fifteen minutes after heading for the truck, the tracker bolts into the clearing by the pan and exchanges hurried and excited words with the PH.

He'd seen eland heading for the very pan where we were waiting. We hid in some brush on a termite mound and not five minuted later I can see some damn shy eland come into view. I lay prone on the termite mound, but some low brush made it so I couldn't depress my muzzle as low as I would have liked. I waited for the biggest bull and when he stepped clear at 75yds I shot him front on. Because of the obsrtucting brush, I held a little higher than I would have liked. He dropped at impact and never even twitched. I'd spined him and was dead as a door nail when we approached.

Recovered bullet looked excellent, like it bolonged in an advertisement, despite the spine!

Sometimes you get a break and they're easy, eh?

JPK

butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: JPK]
      #123233 - 07/01/09 08:56 AM

i shot all mine with 375 300 gr partitions save 1 that i used a barnes x on

John
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/07
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: butchloc]
      #123243 - 07/01/09 10:54 AM

I am very pleased with my Merkel Mod 140 in 9.3 x 74R, this Eland bull was shot at about 90 yds, using Norma Alaskan 286 gr. I hit him quartering through his front shoulder, he managed about 15 yds and was stone dead when we got to him. Unfortunately I did not receive the recovered bullet, it was our last day in camp and he had been butchered when we returned.

PH Jeff Smith "Unforgettable Safaris", myself and our tracker Samuel.

Edited by John (07/01/09 10:58 AM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: John]
      #123271 - 07/01/09 03:18 PM

I find it hard to believe there is a better Eland calibre than the 9.3x62 or its rimed brother.

A few taken with the 9.3x62cal RWS TUG, SWIFT A FRAME and WOODLEIGH bullets .

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: ozhunter]
      #123277 - 07/01/09 06:53 PM

Mate

Get yourself a .375 H&H Mag and you will be set for your third safari after cape buffalo.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: NitroX]
      #123945 - 13/01/09 06:39 PM

If I go on a third safari I might end up like that unfortunate Ms Bobett fellow in the USA.....

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: ozhunter]
      #123954 - 13/01/09 08:55 PM

Quote:

9.3x62 or its rimed brother

I have always thought it was rimed sister

9,3x62 300gr Bridger solid at 180m - flee 80m and died (exit wound can be seen on the shoulder)

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #123963 - 13/01/09 11:18 PM

John , nice Bull , are you wearing OZ Cam camo gear ? did you get that in Canada ?

John
.300 member

Reged: 23/01/07
Loc: Manitoba, Canada
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: Sarg]
      #124000 - 14/01/09 07:38 AM

Sarg, yes I am wearing an OZ shirt, given to me by a frend, I love the soft cotton when it is hot, the pattern is great in Africa and it is my "Lucky shirt". Never seen these for sale anywhere.

jorge
.275 member

Reged: 13/07/05
Loc: Orange Park, Florida
      #124068 - 14/01/09 11:01 PM

I've only shot one.
Winchester Model 70 Super Express 375 H&H mag, 300gr Swift Aframes. Range 175 yards. That's what I had in my hands at the moment. I'd have no qualms about using one of the 300s with a good 180gr bullet. jorge

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #124082 - 15/01/09 12:59 AM

Was chasing an eland going at full gallop, in an open jeep in SA.Distance was about 30 yds.placed two shots with 375 H&H mag.The shots were about 2 inches apart in heart lung area,the eland took a sommersault and when it came to a rest it was dead.The H&H is a super gun for african animals although my personal favourite is the 300 Weatherby mag.

osix
.224 member

Reged: 13/07/07
Loc: Australia
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: iqbal]
      #125168 - 26/01/09 03:02 PM

I've only taken one.
FN Mauser 300 Mag; 200 grain Woodleigh PP.
Late evening glassing from a rocky outcrop we picked up a small herd in the distance, the bull momentarily standing in the shade of a tree.
We were fast running out of light when we caught them, the first shot at 120 yards, he was quatering slightly towards us, hit between neck and shoulder; second shot has he was quatering away, hit high up on the back ribs angled towards far shoulder, dropped to the shot, needed a third.
Based on my limited experience a 338 or 9.3 would've been a better choice.

Edited by osix (26/01/09 03:10 PM)

shakari
.400 member

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: South Africa
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: osix]
      #125177 - 26/01/09 10:23 PM

NitroX has given you excellent advice.

I've seen a lot of eland shot over the years and although it must be said that a 375 or larger is probably a better choice, a 30 calibre (or even a 270 at a push) will do the job if you put the right bullet in the right place...... it could equally be said that a bullet in the wrong place, even from a large calibre, won't do the job.

As has been said, eland are bigger/heavier than Buffalo, however, they're not as tough as Buffalo and die considerably easier than Buffalo.

--------------------
Steve "Shakari" Robinson
Kuduland Safaris (Africa) Ltd
info@kuduland.com
www.kuduland.com

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: shakari]
      #126225 - 08/02/09 10:22 AM

Have shot 2 both with 260gr Nosler Partitions (more or less my standard load)in a 375H&H Brno ZKK 602. First one was a heart shot broadside at 100yds. Eland went STRAIGHT down with all four legs pointing a different direction. Have never seen anything like it before or since. Second one shot at about 40yds quartering shot from the rear. Bullet struck a small (about 1" mopane) tree dead center and entered the left rear hip and penetrating half way thru the bone breaking it. This was at about 8AM. We tracked all day and into the dusk. Caught up only once and put another round in him to no avail. Up at dawn next day and caught him laying up about 11AM. Best example of tracking I have ever witnessed,bar none. One more round required to finish the job. He was a very old Blue Bull with very worn horns exactly as I wanted.

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: zimhunter]
      #127583 - 20/02/09 01:48 PM

375 H&H
300 gr Barnes X
235 yards

Had to track the bull with a large group of cows. With all the eyes there was no way to get any closer. Luckily I was able to get behind a fallen tree for a rest. Took one shot through the right front shoulder. It went straight down.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: Scott]
      #193792 - 15/11/11 03:10 AM

Pic added.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: NitroX]
      #194180 - 20/11/11 09:19 AM

For Eland, I use my 375 Holland with a soft tip 300-grain Woodleight. I think it would be a good choice. If I'm wrong I'd like to know why.

Ovny.

--------------------
I am Spanish

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Eland 'Medicine' [Re: ovny]
      #194200 - 20/11/11 02:53 PM

Quote:

For Eland, I use my 375 Holland with a soft tip 300-grain Woodleight. I think it would be a good choice. If I'm wrong I'd like to know why.

Ovny.

Sounds perfect.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #194204 - 20/11/11 03:09 PM

I've taken my only Eland Bull with a .375 H&H and a Swift 300 grain A-frame pill. Range was + - 125 yards and he was facing me. I hit it poorly, following a great tracking job over the next hour and a half, the bull burst out of thick cover, crossing in front of me at around 60 yards. I swung, holding my crosshairs on his nose, and put the bullet in his ear, pileing up on the spot. The bullet never exited, lodging in the off side of the skull. The first shot wasn't the fault of the bullet. It was totally shooter's error.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10785

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com