Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Real elephant charge stopper action

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Real elephant charge stopper action
      #378445 - 07/08/23 12:06 AM

"No one ever wants to have a charge but at times despite all precautions it happens . What I find interesting here is the debate of bolt vs double.

In this case myself and Dave,my appy, shot at the same time . Both hit the mark but had they not,despite very quick reloading from Dave , he would not have had time for a second shot . Good experience for Dave and very well handled by him !"

www.cmsafaris.com

http://nitroexpress.info/ubbthreads/photos_info/2023/08/buzzcharltonelecharge.mp4

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Edited by NitroX (07/08/23 03:40 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Real elephant charge stopper action [Re: NitroX]
      #378448 - 07/08/23 04:46 AM

John, Thank uyou for posting.

Wow, that was very exciting. I watched it a couple of times.

That would be an occasion when you would want a big rifle - use enough rifle.

--------------------
RB

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Real elephant charge stopper action [Re: NitroX]
      #378466 - 07/08/23 01:48 PM

Quote:

"No one ever wants to have a charge but at times despite all precautions it happens . What I find interesting here is the debate of bolt vs double.

In this case myself and Dave,my appy, shot at the same time . Both hit the mark but had they not,despite very quick reloading from Dave , he would not have had time for a second shot . Good experience for Dave and very well handled by him !"

www.cmsafaris.com

http://nitroexpress.info/ubbthreads/photos_info/2023/08/buzzcharltonelecharge.mp4

For sake of discussion, let's assume that was not the animal they were hunting: So, where that took place, how much trouble, if any, do they stand to be in for shooting it?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Real elephant charge stopper action [Re: 9.3x57]
      #378468 - 07/08/23 03:30 PM

A lot less than if it wasn't filmed!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Real elephant charge stopper action [Re: 9.3x57]
      #378471 - 07/08/23 05:55 PM

Quote:

For sake of discussion, let's assume that was not the animal they were hunting: So, where that took place, how much trouble, if any, do they stand to be in for shooting it?

I once had an almost similar situation in Burkina Faso, where a young elephant bull suddenly without reasons attacked, but fortunately the distance was much greater. I was ready to shoot and just before I wanted to do it, the elephant stopped the attack.

There is no elephant hunting in Burkina Faso, the species is protected. In addition, I was alone by hunting buffalos, without PH, only accompanied by a few local trackers. If I had shot the elephant, there would have been an investigation by the authorities in all cases and I don't know to what extent they would have accepted the trackers as witnesses. In all probability I should have stayed a little longer in the country until everything would have been clarified.

I think that in a country where elephant hunting is legal and if you are in the company of a PH, the situation is much easier.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Real elephant charge stopper action [Re: grandveneur]
      #378478 - 07/08/23 10:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I once had an almost similar situation in Burkina Faso, where a young elephant bull suddenly without reasons attacked, but fortunately the distance was much greater. I was ready to shoot and just before I wanted to do it, the elephant stopped the attack.

There is no elephant hunting in Burkina Faso, the species is protected. In addition, I was alone by hunting buffalos, without PH, only accompanied by a few local trackers. If I had shot the elephant, there would have been an investigation by the authorities in all cases and I don't know to what extent they would have accepted the trackers as witnesses. In all probability I should have stayed a little longer in the country until everything would have been clarified.

I think that in a country where elephant hunting is legal and if you are in the company of a PH, the situation is much easier.

That all seems quite logical. I wonder what the situation is where he is located.

We have a similar situation here tho I suspect the ramifications may even be greater generally, with grizzly. They are expanding into our rea, are fully protected and there is no "incidental take" (mistaken) for grizzly, either. Each year attacks occur, a couple people recently were killed, one "next door" in the Natl Park and one down south in AZ.

Here the foresters who spend a lot of time alone in the woods are paying attention...the .22 Mag, 9mm and .40 pistols they currently carry are being re-evaluated. I think of it myself as I spend a lot of time alone as well. Each year we read of hunters put up trees by grizzly and attacks. The whole point being to shoot one is to wade into a VERY messy legal situation and while an individual might get away with it, the ability of law enforcement to investigate this sort of thing puts everyone on edge.

A situation like what happened w/ the elephant seems to me they had little choice. "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" might indicate they could have run, etc, etc, but I wonder what the authorities would say. Replace that elephant w/ a grizzly, film such a thing here and as insane as it may seem, my money would be on a VERY long and VERY costly legal fight by the shooter (-s) not because it was unjustified, but because the legal situation is just that much of a mess.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 665

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com