Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Tracking Eland in Namibia?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
Tracking Eland in Namibia?
      #317271 - 14/06/18 03:54 AM

I am looking to do research on a trip to southern Africa for Eland. I’m thinking of Namibia. I want to track on foot and hunt 2 or 3 bulls to get a good sense of the animal and more tracking experience. Free range on the edge of the Kalahari is my first thought.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Tracking Eland in Namibia? [Re: Rell]
      #317287 - 15/06/18 01:24 AM

Quote:

I am looking to do research on a trip to southern Africa for Eland. I’m thinking of Namibia. I want to track on foot and hunt 2 or 3 bulls to get a good sense of the animal and more tracking experience. Free range on the edge of the Kalahari is my first thought.

Any suggestions?

We tracked them in Zim back in 2010..before that also in Zim in 2005.. have no experience in Namibia..

thx

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

bouldersmith
.375 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Boulder Colorado
Re: Tracking Eland in Namibia? [Re: Ripp]
      #317336 - 17/06/18 01:35 AM

I can help you out

http://www.bertramandco.com/hunt-namibia.html

Depending on when you want to go I may be in camp as well.

Steve

--------------------
New website http://www.bertramandco.com

rglenz
.300 member

Reged: 14/03/08
Loc: w. Minn
Re: Tracking Eland in Namibia? [Re: bouldersmith]
      #317342 - 17/06/18 08:21 AM

Very reasonable day rate but I'm surprised to see Nyala listed in the trophy fee schedule.

bouldersmith
.375 member

Re: Tracking Eland in Namibia? [Re: rglenz]
      #317492 - 24/06/18 09:02 PM

I did hear back from Andre after he returned from the Bush. If you are interested in tracking an Eland he has a very good area that is completely free range, in the North of Namibia with good numbers of animals and some huge bulls.

Nyala is only offered behind the fence. A very large area but not free range.

Steve

--------------------

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #317515 - 25/06/18 07:04 AM

Thank you. I will check it out.

--------------------
450-400, 9.3x74r and 7x65r.

bouldersmith
.375 member

Re: Tracking Eland in Namibia? [Re: Rell]
      #317518 - 25/06/18 07:49 AM

I book these hunts as well. If you would like the contact info just pm me. Same price as if you book direct but I get some credit if you place through me.
Steve

--------------------

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #317598 - 28/06/18 09:35 PM

Without question, this is a hunt best done
In Mozambique.
I would recommend the likes of Makore Safaris with the Duckworth's or Kambako Safaris.
Fantastic tracking hunts for big blue bulls with a 9.3 cal is one of my favourite

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Tracking Eland in Namibia? [Re: ozhunter]
      #317649 - 01/07/18 05:28 AM

Not sure of the tracking side of it.

In Namibia one outfitter to consider is Karl Stumpfe. I hunted with him, and he was a professional outfitter and PH. Wrth speaking to him of your desires and see if he can deliver what you are looking for.

I hunted eland in Zimbabwe way back in 1994. In the West Nicholson area South of Bulawayo on the Beitbridge road. We did track them for may five kilometres. Was trying to take a klipsringer when we surprised a herd of eland, which spooked and ran past us. The PH yelled, "Don't shoot", but I wasn't anyway. Did not want another 25 plus km tracking job on a wounded eland like we had done on a wildebeest which I stupidly wounded. Actually in total it was more like a 32 km tracking job, with the extra seven kms the second day when we found the dead wildebeest.

The tracking is mostly done by the black trackers, who usually see stuff far earlier than mazungas (whitees). And in the 40 deg C heat, they were welcome to it. Often only a bit of blood, on the ground or a twig everywhere hundred metres.

For the eland it was a run after them for maybe two kms, then slowing down to a fast tracking job. I was pleased I spotted on rear leg knee of an eland first, before the blacks, through a tiny gap in the bush a couple hundreds of metres ahead of us. Of course George one of the trackers immediately noticed my intense look and jabbered the news up the line. After five kms of running, jogging, and then walking, we got a shot at a nice bull eland, an angled shot with the .30-06 and 200 gr Nosler Partition Semi-pointed bullet took out the heart of the eland. At about 90 metres. We ran forward, the bull tottered, a second insurance shot form broadside caused the bull to collapse. And we waited quietly for the bull to expire.

Enjoyed that hunt immensely. Last animal I took in 1994 in Zimbabwe.

The best personal tracking jobs I enjoyed was with Matt Graham in the Cobourg Peninsula for banteng. The soft often moist soil made tracking easier for whitees. I could even tell how fast the banteng were running and when the bull slowed down to walk. ALAS too late as he stopped to watch his back track and spotted us and was off for good.

My last water buffalo was tracking a wounded water buffalo bull. I did find him, and he was looking for me as well.

The most expensive tracking job was for a wounded hartebeest in Namibia. The not enthusiastic tracker didn't find any blood. I did! Two hundred metres away from where it had started, a dislodged pebble had a drop of blood under it, in the grass ... Unfortunately we never caught up to that hartebeest again. Only one of two animals in hundreds where that has happened over the years to npot be recovered and put down. As the property owners wife said, "Sometimes the jackals need to be feed too."

A tracking hunt for several eland, or other larger beasts would be an interesting hunt, for someone fit enough to do it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2770

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com