Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Botswana woes.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Botswana woes.
      #128882 - 06/03/09 07:28 PM

I cant see anyone wanting to shell out the same serious dollars for a pic of an elephant ffs! Perhaps the minister needs replacing!

Africa : Botswana: Government stops hunting near parks, game reserves
on 2009/3/6 15:15:04

MAUN - Minister of Environment, Wildlife and Tourism, Mr Kitso Mokaila left Khwai on Friday without agreeing with some residents on whether government should or should not stop hunting tourism.

The minister was in the village to inform residents about government plans to stop hunting activities in areas near national parks and game reserves.

He also told the residents, who run the Khwai Development Trust, that it appears the money raised through hunting quotas was being misappropriated by board members.

"We have for 18 years allowed communities to freely manage themselves in community trusts but what worries me is that now people have started to use these resources to enrich themselves," he said.

He said discussed with stakeholders to identify the problems in Community Based Natural Resources Management (CBNRM).

"The board of trustees cannot decide on how to use funds on their own without consulting the community," Mr Mokaila noted.

He said the Khwai Trust has for the past eight years made millions in various tourism projects, but what is of utmost concern is whether the funds have benefited the community.

"Some trusts have improved the lives of their residents while in others, the board is the one enjoying the fruits," he noted.

He advised the residents to look at photography tourism as one area they could make money out of as hunting will be ceased.

The trust has advertised in local newspapers for companies to enter into joint venture arrangement in management of Community Multi-purpose Controlled Hunting Area NG 18 for a nine-year period.

Minister Mokaila requested the residents to withdraw the advert so that they could remove the hunting issue, as government has decided to stop hunting in areas near parks and game reserves.

"What we could only do is to allow for a one-year contract after which the hunting activity stops in this area," Mr Mokaila said.

Some residents did not agree with the minister, saying they did not understand, while others felt comfortable with the idea of stopping hunting in the area.

"Photo tourism is the way to go as it would give you the chance of employment for a 12 month period, whereas in hunting, you get employment for only six months as it is seasonal," Mr Mokaila emphasised.

One of the residents, Mr Kealeta Motswadi agreed with the idea of photo tourism agreeing with the minister that it would give more people the opportunity to get employment.

The minister promised to visit the area again as it appeared from residents' comments that there are many issues that needed to be addressed. Residents murmured in groups after the meeting as some said they were not satisfied with the idea of stopping hunting. BOPA

http://www.gov.bw/cgi-bin/news.cgi?d=200...s_game_reserves

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Botswana woes. [Re: gryphon]
      #128886 - 06/03/09 08:53 PM

Quote:

He advised the residents to look at photography tourism as one area they could make money out of as hunting will be ceased.

The trust has advertised in local newspapers for companies to enter into joint venture arrangement in management of Community Multi-purpose Controlled Hunting Area NG 18 for a nine-year period.

Minister Mokaila requested the residents to withdraw the advert so that they could remove the hunting issue, as government has decided to stop hunting in areas near parks and game reserves.

In true democracies the gov't needs to actually pass the laws first before people need to take note of them.

Quote:

"Photo tourism is the way to go as it would give you the chance of employment for a 12 month period, whereas in hunting, you get employment for only six months as it is seasonal," Mr Mokaila emphasised.

One of the residents, Mr Kealeta Motswadi agreed with the idea of photo tourism agreeing with the minister that it would give more people the opportunity to get employment.

Why not extend the hunting season instead? As I understand the season is limited by the gov't.

Also maybe the profits to the community is exceeded by a 6 month hunting season as compared to a 12 month tourist season? Especially as I can see a "lot" of tourists there in the "wet" season.

Also a LOT of competition to attract tourists in all areas.

To me as they are talking about areas near parks, it sounds like the Bots Gov't is pandering to the commercial interests of tourist operators in the Parks.

Quote:

Residents murmured in groups after the meeting as some said they were not satisfied with the idea of stopping hunting.

Obviously not much consultation with the local community.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Botswana woes. [Re: gryphon]
      #128889 - 06/03/09 08:55 PM

Just because some sound like they may be corrupt is not a good reason to cut off the revenue stream for the local community. Sounds like the Minister is peeved about not getting a cut. Perhaps the Minister should expend some resources to gather evidence and arrest corrupt board members...

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Botswana woes. [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #128891 - 06/03/09 08:59 PM

Maybe someone wasn't getting a cut ...

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Botswana woes. [Re: NitroX]
      #128908 - 07/03/09 12:10 AM

Quote:

Maybe someone wasn't getting a cut ...

Unfortunately, your are probably spot on...someone wasn't getting the $$ so good-bye hunting...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Botswana woes. [Re: Ripp]
      #129307 - 11/03/09 11:44 PM

At the moment there are Chinese contractors working in these area's,and as is usual when these contractors are in an area then the poaching increases dramaticly.
The only way to control it is to put a blanket ban on hunting which is what happened.
They dont care where the black market ivory comes from as long as they can get it...and smuggle it back to China.

Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2180

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com