Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bunny Allen - The Wheel of Life.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Bunny Allen - The Wheel of Life.
      #68769 - 04/01/07 09:31 PM

Having recently finished Bunny Allens book; The Wheel of Life, I was quite suprised that virtually the whole book revolved around his womanizing, and had very little hunting content in it. I can't help but wonder how much was true, and how much was made up. Some of the stories were kind of hard to believe, such as an instance were his client couple was attacked by ants, and Bunny claims to have ended up screwing the wife while the husband was basically stuck in the mud right next to the tents!?!?!?

There were quite a few inconsistencies that seemed kind of odd throughout the book, making me wonder how much was a product of his own fantasy, in order to make himself and his stories more interesting.

I suspect that if half the stories were true, that he wouldn't have survived for very long. Considering that many jealous husbands rifles would very likely have had an "accidental discharge" right into his head while out hunting!

With that said, Bunny Allen certainly led an unusual and interesting life, and I must admit that reading his book brought back a few fond memories of the regions he lived and operated in. It also gave a tiny bit of insight into non-hunting life back in those times, which was nice too. I am sure he would have been an interesting character to have met in person.

Over all though, I was not very impressed with this book.

Erik

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
butchloc
.300 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: faribault mn
Re: Bunny Allen - The Wheel of Life. [Re: EricD]
      #68824 - 05/01/07 07:25 AM

agree with you 100%

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: Bunny Allen - The Wheel of Life. [Re: butchloc]
      #68835 - 05/01/07 09:50 AM

I think the stories are mostly true. Allen had that sort of reputation. Remember that was the time of the "Happy Valley Set". Lots of debauchery, swapping of partners, etc etc among certain members of the upper society.

Bunny Allen also had an affair with Ava Gardner during the filming of "Mogambo" while Clarke Gable had an affair with Gardner, and then switched to Grace Kelly. Paralleling a lot with the plot of the movie in fact. Allen was a PH paid to help with the movie.

It really gets a bit much in his book the "what goes on safari, stays on safari" crap. I agree with you there. I too am amazed no one put a bullet in the jerk.

But in the end an interesting life. For him at least.

I think he wrote another book as well, where the content is more interesting.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #68910 - 06/01/07 08:36 AM

My experience has been that most guys who go around bragging about their "conquests" haven't had very many successes at much of anything. They invent such tales as a way to disguise their various insecurities, but in reality they invariably showcase their own hang-ups.

I don't care much for the book or the author.........

AD

mudbug
.275 member

Reged: 08/12/03
Loc: U.S.A/Wyo.,Ak.&La./H.K.&P.R.C.
      #68941 - 06/01/07 04:50 PM

Classify Bunny's book under the 'horseshit' realm. His claims, too.

Legend in his own mind and a great story teller. Cracked a few, he claims? So what? His kids claiming anything from his so called exploits?

Sad bastid he is,,,limped dick, too. Real boys don't brag, don't write about it for the $ and just go on shaggin, taking life one day at a time, the puss, also. Even if you find it at Wal-Mart.

Safari, enough, eh?? Ultimate game,,,so they say.

Mudbug

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Bunny Allen - The Wheel of Life. [Re: allenday]
      #69042 - 08/01/07 03:33 AM

Allen, I can't think of a better discription of the book, or it's author! IMO, it is, as the old Indian said about the white man's promises, " "BIG WIND COME FROM EMPTY CAVE!"

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 42 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2396

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com