Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Clothing for first safari

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
gei
.224 member

Reged: 19/03/06
Clothing for first safari
      #54996 - 17/04/06 02:19 AM

I am getting ready for my first African safari, wil be hunting cape buffalo in Tanzenia on August 5th.
I have heard many comments on the best clothing to hunt in, some say all cotton clothing, some say cotton/polyester mix,.
What type of clothing is the best to wear?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
FMA
.224 member

Reged: 15/04/06
Loc: NYC
Re: Clothing for first safari [Re: gei]
      #54998 - 17/04/06 03:22 AM

Which area of Tanzania are you hunting?

luv2safari
.400 member

Reged: 09/11/03
Loc: United States
      #55001 - 17/04/06 03:31 AM

I like cotton/polyester mix. It is a bit tougher and doesn't get caught in the thorns as bad or rip as readily. Make sure to wear quiet clothing and footwear. I like to wear soft leather low tops with quiet soles and simple pants and shirts...Without a jillion pockets to catch on bushes. Medium dark olive is just right most places.

--------------------
Hunt with Class and Classics

gei
.224 member

Reged: 19/03/06
Re: Clothing for first safari [Re: FMA]
      #55017 - 17/04/06 09:00 AM

I am hunting the western side of the Selous, outside, it is a flood plain that is dried out at this time of year, don't yet have exact location. It is 10 to 12 hour drive from DarSalom, might fly in don't know yet
I have a 7 day hunt and primary target is 2 cape buffalo, maybe zebra and wart hog

FMA
.224 member

#55018 - 17/04/06 10:34 AM

I'd fly if you can. Especially since you don't have experience with long rides on African "roads." With tse tses, some people like the Bug Off stuff, but I don't as it is a possible carcinogen. Do a little digging and make your choice. Go with light weight cottons, preferably with a wicking finish. I'm testing X-socks Air Force socks on my next trip to Africa in a week. Will report back on these. Tried their desert storm socks, but didn't much like them.

NE450No2
.375 member

Reged: 10/01/03
Re: Clothing for first safari [Re: FMA]
      #55025 - 17/04/06 12:11 PM

I wore some shirts and pants from 511 this March and liked them quite a bit. I recommend the green color.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #55035 - 17/04/06 05:12 PM

I use 100% cotton and wear the shirts and trouser most days of the year anyway. I have used various brands such as RM Williams (when they made 'bush' clothing rather than 'trendy' city clothing like today), Gwondwana bush shirts and shirts such as Cabellas Serengetti range and trousers - their seven pocket 'cargo' trousers and shorts. I liked the older Serengetti shirts better before they went to the lighter coloured "two colour" pattern. No decent olive green choice left now.

100% cotton socks as well.

As a jacket either cotton, or a layered jackets with perhaps a gore-tex type lining.

Jumpers or zippered warm jackets, usually a lighter polar-fleece one from NZ.

I really dislike wearing polyester clothing.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
Re: Clothing for first safari [Re: NitroX]
      #55057 - 17/04/06 11:21 PM

Don't forget the double layered underware in case the cape buffallo charges!

FMA
.224 member

#55066 - 18/04/06 01:23 AM

Yeah, don't forget a fleece. Even though it's hotter than hades, at night it gets cold. I have a Simms Windstopper jacket that I swear by.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_DETAILS&CAT=outerwear&PROD.ID=15634

Charles_Helm
.333 member

Reged: 09/11/05
Loc: Dallas, Texas
      #55087 - 18/04/06 10:50 AM

In reply to:

I really dislike wearing polyester clothing.

--------------------
Some pictures from Namibia

Some pictures from Zimbabwe

An Elephant Story

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #55092 - 18/04/06 12:22 PM

You can spend a lot of money or just wear what you normally wear. I personally like jeans and long-sleeved chambry shirts. I usually carry a down vest in a stuff sack and wear an old Redhead waxed hip length jacket that is flannel lined. I usually take a couple of sweatshirts and gloves and a watch cap. I'm partial to my custom Russel Sheephunters and WickDri socks. A GOOD wide belt and I'm set to go. Doesn't require any thing super special just be sure it's comfortable. The washing machines don't have gentle cycle and the irons are even LESS gentle. I usually take practically new jeans and they are usually almost white when I get home after 2 months. Laundry service is generally impeccable and prompt. Leave it in the hamper in the morning and it's on your bed that night in most cases. They even iron your socks.

allenday
.333 member

Reged: 18/04/04
      #55137 - 19/04/06 12:09 AM

I wear all-cotton, and I prefer olive-drab color Lee jeans, Russell boots, Orvis safari shirts, dark, solid-color ballcaps, US Army surplus (unissued!) brown t-shirts, and a pair of leather gloves. I also take a jacket as well and a sweater for morning and evening, plus a bug jacket for bad tsetse fly areas.

Three sets of shirts and pants are plenty, plus socks, etc.

I despise shorts on safari, so I wear them only in camp. And I always wear socks with my boots as well. This bear-legged, sockless approach to safari clothing just isn't for me............

AD

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
      #57082 - 13/05/06 01:43 PM

For shirts I really like my Filson safari shirts. The cotton weave is tight enough that the tse tse flies do no bite through. They also hold up to the bush washing while in safari camp. My two shirts have 31 days of safari hunting on them and still look like new. I prefer to wear pants, green army surplus, better than shorts.

I would suggest a bug tamer jacket to wear while in the truck to keep the tse tse flies off you. Also, don't forget a good hat or two and a pair of gloves.

Laundry is done daily so 2 pairs of hunting clothes are usually enough.

My latest trick is to wear a pair of clear or yellow lens shooting glasses while driving in the dark. Keeps the branches and bugs out of the eyes while driving at flank speed at night.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2832

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com