Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: So ugly it is pretty

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
pacecars
.300 member

Reged: 25/09/05
Loc: Tallahassee, Florida, USA
So ugly it is pretty
      #339220 - 20/03/20 03:12 PM

I remember sitting in front of the fire on cold winter days when I was young and looking through my favorite gun catalogs. I had the old fold out Ruger catalog with the beautiful Ruger No 1, the shiny Weatherby catalog with the MKVs and the Colt catalog with the Colt Sauer 90 with gorgeous wood and super slick bolt but my favorite one of all was the Catalog from Steyr-Daimler Puch. It has beautiful wood stocks with fancy carvings and fish scale “checkering” and deeply engraved receivers but the one rifle that was my favorite and the one I wanted more than any other gun, the one gun that I thought epitomized the perfect hunting gun was the green stocked Model M Professional in .30-06. I knew I could hunt the world with that one gun and be happy for the rest of my life (pretty smart for an 8 year old huh?). It took me a long time before I finally owned one. I first bought an MIII .270 that shot under a 1/4” repeatedly with cheap ammo but it just wasn’t the same and I sold it, I then got a MIII in .30-06 and it too was accurate but still not quite right. Next up I got a black stocked M Professional with sights in .270 but still I was not satisfied. More MIIIs followed and another M Pro with a brown stock but something was still missing. I loved the way the stock fit me especially for offhand shooting. Looking through several websites the other day I came across this ugly duckling and figured out what had been missing. That damn ugly green stock. This one feels like it may just stick around

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ash
.400 member

Reged: 10/05/11
Loc: Australia
Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: pacecars]
      #339223 - 20/03/20 04:58 PM

I really like how it looks.

--------------------

yumastepside
.333 member

Reged: 25/10/15
Loc: Tasmania Australia
Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: Ash]
      #339224 - 20/03/20 06:24 PM

I always had a thing for the OD Green SSG 69, probably watched too much "Lone Wolf McQuade " as a kid!.....and an adult!

Roger

--------------------
If you live for a thousand years, you still only have one life, don't waste it.

Edited by yumastepside (20/03/20 06:33 PM)

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: Ash]
      #339225 - 20/03/20 06:26 PM

Nice technical rifle; we all - at least for those above 50, recall the by-gone era without internet when we could spend hours browsing and dreaming through the same catalogs!
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

500Boswell
.400 member

Reged: 21/07/06
Loc: Queensland
Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: Louis]
      #339232 - 21/03/20 08:25 AM

Had one of those years ago 30-06 Professional ,pity there was so much plastic on it ,stock broke through the wrist like a matchstick [cyclolac stock ] then replaced the stock and off loaded it.

pacecars
.300 member

Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: 500Boswell]
      #339248 - 22/03/20 01:57 AM

My “Holy Grail”!is the same rifle in 9.3x62mm from the factory. I have only seen one and it had a Mannlicher branded 2x7 scope on it. It was a black stock version and priced a little to high for me at the time. I still should have bought it. I do believe the Professional was the first factory sported with a plastic stock.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #339249 - 22/03/20 04:15 AM

Pacecars, I agree wholoeheartedly with the first 1/2 of your post title, not the second.
Black stocks, OK, camo stocks, well, OK, pee soup green stocks not so much.
I do like split pee soup, though, with just a touch of vinegar - sweetens it up.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

pacecars
.300 member

Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: DarylS]
      #339255 - 22/03/20 07:38 AM

I have painted a few of the black ones with the spider web paint

93x64mm
.416 member

Reged: 07/12/11
Loc: Nth QLD Australia
      #339257 - 22/03/20 08:22 AM

I believe the term "only a Mother would love it" springs readily to mind - but hey if we all like the same things then it would be a very boring old world!
I'd prefer 'functional'!
I hope yours doesn't go the way of Bos's, shame about the stock - I always thought those 'plastic' stock were virtually unbreakable.....but obviously not so!

500Boswell
.400 member

Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: 93x64mm]
      #339263 - 22/03/20 10:52 AM

Basically a good rifle ,but let down by a weak stock, the plastic mag and trigger guard ,in Steyr's obsession with cost cutting, it wasnt a cheap rifle at the time i bought it .

DarylS
.700 member

#339279 - 23/03/20 05:33 AM

Friend of mine had a custom made .35 Whelen on a M98 with handlaid fiberglass stock. I had to re-bed the stock for him to get it to shoot
his demanded sub 1" @ 100 meters.
His horse lay down on it on a hunting trip, breaking the stock through the wrist, but didn't bend the barrel nor hurt the Leupold scope.
I restocked it for him with a Boydboys laminated stock & bedded that one.
The weight was increased and turned a hard kicking gun into a pleasant one to shoot. It also looked better.

pacecars
.300 member

#339298 - 23/03/20 01:28 PM

I had thought about having the stock duplicated in a laminate on previous ones but that would make it rather heavy

DarylS
.700 member

#339301 - 23/03/20 04:45 PM

Yes - all that epoxy adds weight - normally. Much depends on the # of laminations, ie: how thick they are. If 1/16" thick, that's a lot more glue than 1/8" or 3/16" thick lams.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
      #339311 - 24/03/20 03:42 AM

If I remember McMillan had a ssg 69 stock on offer many years ago. Maybe they still got the pattern mould.

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

pacecars
.300 member

Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: Yochanan]
      #339325 - 24/03/20 10:18 AM

The SSG is a short action though

pacecars
.300 member

#339782 - 05/04/20 09:11 AM

Just bought a Kahles Helia 6x42S to put on it

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #339792 - 05/04/20 11:10 AM

Quote:

I remember sitting in front of the fire on cold winter days when I was young and looking through my favorite gun catalogs. I had the old fold out Ruger catalog with the beautiful Ruger No 1, the shiny Weatherby catalog with the MKVs and the Colt catalog with the Colt Sauer 90 with gorgeous wood and super slick bolt but my favorite one of all was the Catalog from Steyr-Daimler Puch. It has beautiful wood stocks with fancy carvings and fish scale “checkering” and deeply engraved receivers but the one rifle that was my favorite and the one I wanted more than any other gun, the one gun that I thought epitomized the perfect hunting gun was the green stocked Model M Professional in .30-06. I knew I could hunt the world with that one gun and be happy for the rest of my life (pretty smart for an 8 year old huh?). It took me a long time before I finally owned one. I first bought an MIII .270 that shot under a 1/4” repeatedly with cheap ammo but it just wasn’t the same and I sold it, I then got a MIII in .30-06 and it too was accurate but still not quite right. Next up I got a black stocked M Professional with sights in .270 but still I was not satisfied. More MIIIs followed and another M Pro with a brown stock but something was still missing. I loved the way the stock fit me especially for offhand shooting. Looking through several websites the other day I came across this ugly duckling and figured out what had been missing. That damn ugly green stock. This one feels like it may just stick around

I don't mind them.

One of our members here, Orion, used to have one, and brought one to a shoot many years ago. He also had a modern Mannlicher stutzen with a plastic stock in .222 Rem.

Ugly but has that Germanic/Austrian look to it.

If the stock is OK, a useful all weather rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

pacecars
.300 member

Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: NitroX]
      #339794 - 05/04/20 11:19 AM

Just picked up a Kahles Helia S 6x42 with a 4a reticle. The Redfield just doesn’t look right. I may have the perfect all around rifle.

rpeck

Reged: 06/12/13
Loc: Canada
      #340820 - 06/05/20 09:50 PM

Although most of my rifles are European fullstocks ("Mannlicher-style") of various kinds, all with great wood, I never thought the Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional was ugly. I think its a great looking rifle. So far, I have owned two, both in 30-06, both with green stocks, both with DST (I have double set triggers on a lot of my other rifles, so I am used to them.)

When I lived on the Canadian Wet Coast I shot my best Blacktail buck in the pouring rain with a Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Professional in 30-06...a quick offhand shot using open sights. And I used that same rifle to shoot my biggest B.C. bear. Another fast offhand shot, but with a 4X scope. The rifle has great ergonomics for off-hand shooting although a bit painful to shoot at the bench. With that tight radius pistol grip, the trigger guard can really snap back onto your middle finger. I sold it because I broke a few magazines. (They don't usually break when empty, but when full and heavy they can break if dropped. They break right on the edges where the screws are.)...and the soft screws on the Q-D mounts are irritating. The heads are easily messed up and are an odd metric size that is hard to replace. Years later I regretted selling it and found its twin at a Nova Scotia gun show...right down to the Leupold 4X. And today (yes, right now) I'm waiting on the delivery of another one. It might be here today. DST, factory QD rings (but also with a set of Talley bases) and a black stock.

Edited by rpeck (07/05/20 03:07 AM)

500Boswell
.400 member

Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: rpeck]
      #340847 - 07/05/20 02:18 PM

I had that problem with the soft screws too ,was annoying, thing about plastic ,inevitably its going to break ,i had a Steyr M72 full stock was a beautiful rifle ,first time i went to load the mag, the follower disintegrated ,there was no way you could repair it ,had to be replaced, luckily replacements are available[at the moment ] ,should have been made of steel to begin with .somebody at Steyr needs their head looked at .

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #340872 - 08/05/20 08:56 AM

Now Steyr plastic magazines are the ducks nuts. That is the AUG ones. Throw one on the cement footpath jump up and down on it, load it and go shoot something. They can take punishment that will very quickly wreck a steel mag. Now if only this would become the norm and other manufacturers use the same polymers.

rpeck

Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: Rule303]
      #340910 - 10/05/20 02:58 AM

re: plastic gun parts

In my experience the worst bit of plastic on a rifle was the plastic bottom of the Brno .22 steel magazines. The Brno .22 was one of the firearms of choice in Western Canada for summer shooting of gophers (Richardsons Ground Squirrel)...and Muskol was a good strong insect repellent of choice, necessary because of the clouds of mosquitos. So after successive applications, the mosquito repellent tended to accumulate in the palm of your hand...and when changing magazines with the same palm of your hand...after a time, the plastic would just suddenly disintegrate , releasing spring and ammo into the field somewhere. It wasn't so bad when those mags were cheap, but they aren't anymore. I note that the mags on the new CZ rifles are all plastic.

Edited by rpeck (10/05/20 03:01 AM)

rpeck

Re: So ugly it is pretty [Re: rpeck]
      #340928 - 10/05/20 06:35 AM

re: Steyr plastic stocks.

I have seen a few Steyr-Mannlicher Model M Pro plastic stocks that were cracked, but I have also seen a lot of walnut stocks similarly shattered beyond repair...Stop driving over your rifles!

Edited by rpeck (12/05/20 01:20 AM)

rpeck

new S-M Pro [Re: rpeck]
      #341015 - 12/05/20 01:29 AM

A "new" S-M Pro came yesterday in the mail. (Sunday mail delivery...Who knew?). A minty excellent condition 30-06 made April, 1986. DST. It came with a spare magazine in new condition, a set of Steyr Q-D 1 in. scope mounts in the factory box, Talley bases and various original factory manuals, the original test target (3-shot half-inch group)and warranty card, etc. It was a one-owner rifle. I put an older 30mm Zeiss Duralyt (4A reticle) on it in Talley QD rings, and it still only weighs 8.5 lb. So not too light and not too heavy. Very well balanced for off hand shooting.

Edited by rpeck (13/05/20 10:54 PM)

Louis
.375 member

Reged: 13/05/15
Loc: France
Re: new S-M Pro [Re: rpeck]
      #341016 - 12/05/20 01:54 AM

Very nice; a true working rifle!
Can you still find easily spare magazines, either new from the maker, or second hand in Canada or internationally?
Louis

--------------------
"Everything that doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 47 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13933

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com