Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs.

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs.
      #224115 - 22/01/13 07:08 PM

I had a hankering for a micro action chambered for something that would be a little more than the usual suspects and had been increasingly interested in the 6.5 Grendel but thought that there was still a little left on the table as far as capabilities went with the Grendel cartridge. I bought a packet of Grendel ammo and had a couple of 7.62x39 cartridges and wondered what whould happen if the shoulder was pushed forward and it was loaded longer than the Grendel which is hald to its factory COAL because it was designed primarily for the A R platform and consequently loaded to a presure limit that would not be required with a bolt rifle. I had a set of Forster Grendel FLS dies sent over and by putting a .05 spacer die on the shell holder was able to hydroform a case to what I found would give considerable more capacity especially if the 123gn A Max was seated out to a 2.405 OAL rather than the 2.250 of the Hornady round.

Hornady Grendel on left and my Grendel Max on the right

In looking for an action I came across an Interarms mini mauser action bare for about NZ$80 (US$65) and because of my reduced circumstances intended for this to be a minimal cost project. I Cut the back of the magazine and ground out the rear of the mag recess abutment and made a temporu rear mag extension to see if it would all work and instead of running the rear wall of the magazine up past the abutment I ground a housing in the bottom so it would form a continuous face up the back wall and up the face of the abutment and was able to get 2.475 internal length so my projected COAL looked to be a workable length. This length was arrived at with the A Max which would be the primary bullet was loaded with the start of the boat tail at the base of the neck so the next thing was to draw up a reamer print (that would give me a 25 thou jump at my desired OAL) and get it away to Mansons. A light Sako profile 6.5 x 8 twist barrel was ordered from TSE in Australia, and at chambering was cut to 21 inches.
The bolt handle was a typical Mark X handle that is really too short with a knob that is too small for easy manipulation so I cut it off and used a piece of 7/8 bolt that I D&T to take a 1/4 in thread, which I then put in an battery drill and held against a belt linisher to bring it to a suitable shape.

Action as received

Bolt handle

From this I expected everything would work as planned.

eeping in mind that this was to be a low cost rifle I decided to make my own laminate stock rather than using w walnut blank as I had for previous rifles so I started with a 16mm central core and planedit down from the action forward to the forend tip and from the actiondown through the pistol grip because I wanted tha main shaping done on the core piece so that the outer thinner laminates would be full length and therefore stronger than the usual way where they are cut through as the shaping is done from the outside toward the centre. The added bonus is that the pattern is cut on the central core and the action can be layed on and the exact outline of the inletting can be marked and cut out with just a sliver left at top and bottom to hole the forend to the wrist and butstock while the remaining laminates are glued on. I used Beech for this as it is very light and very tough, at least the NZ beech is.

I made a smoker for the inletting as I had always used inletting black before but a little used lantern offered a handly wick assembly and after pop riviting a cvouple of tabs on a suitable old tobacco tin had a smoker that could still do service in the lantern housing if and when needed.

After a bit more work I had a lovley light little rifle that even with the Warne steel bases and rings with the Nikon 4.5-14 scope still weighed in at 6 lb 12oz and with the mini supressor stopped the scales at 7 lb 6oz

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
VonGruff
.400 member

Re: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs. [Re: VonGruff]
      #224116 - 22/01/13 07:10 PM

So then it came time to do some testing and with CFE 223 and the A Max's I did my 200 yd ladder testing with this result.

It seems I had loaded the no 10 shot at 31.4 rather than 32.4 going by the results but It was enough to set the paremeters for the next session

After another trial session I settled on 32.6 gn for an even 2700fps and while the wind was starting to effect the second shot string it is certainly more than encouraging for a light rifle. The velocity gain over the AR Grendel loading has made this a worthwhile project.

So for a minimal cost of NZ$1562 (US$1312) including the supressor (although I did have the Nikon on the shelf) I have got myself a light hill rifle that will perform up to and exceding what hoped for. I have also had a cast bullet mould made by Veral at LBT and will hope to get that into the 2300fps + range for inside 200 yds on the goats etc and a realy cheap plinking round. Had the mould made so that with the same seating stem setting I can go from the cast bullet to the A Max with out adjustment so have a very versatile and uncomplicated little cartridge for a wide range of aplications. With the New SST released to have the same shape and BC of the A max but with an inproved 'on game performance' then this is also a realistic 500 yd medium game round with the rifles ability to get it to the right place

Grendel beside a 127gn cast bullet in a Lapua 7.62x39 case necked to 6.5 and ready for fireforming, and the 123gn A Max in a Hornady Grendel fireformed case..

And I may just have to change my sig line

--------------------
Von Gruff.

VonGruff
.400 member

#224117 - 22/01/13 07:11 PM

This is the reamer print I drew up and it should be on file at Mansons. I made up a cartridge and the GS used the "just kiss it with the bolt to HS the barrel.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Rule303
.416 member

Reged: 05/07/09
Loc: Woodford Qld
      #224122 - 22/01/13 10:16 PM

Von Gruff thanks for posting.

Well done on the home made bits and pieces, they have turned into a superb rifle. No way could ole passion finger here even contemplate doing that work.

Now that is a Grendel that has some meritt.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: My 6.5 Grendel Max. Maybe the best yet - for my needs. [Re: Rule303]
      #224134 - 23/01/13 02:21 AM

Good design - .005" taper will surely help. I like it. The Max's ballistics show it was a good change.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2692

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com