Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Dry Fire

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
AussieHunter
.224 member

Reged: 29/08/07
Loc: Outback, NSW, Australia
Dry Fire
      #87625 - 23/10/07 08:27 AM

Is it bad to dry fire a centre fire rifle? I have heard it is bad to dry fire a rimfire. I am adjusting my trigger and i dont want to stuff the firing pin on my rifle. So i just want to know if i can or cannot dry fire my rifle.

Cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
Re: Dry Fire [Re: AussieHunter]
      #87634 - 23/10/07 12:15 PM

It depends on how old your rifle is. If it's over 20 yrs old, the firing pin may be fatigued and just might crystalize on you. You just may short stop that by just putting in a new firing pin and dry fire to your heart's content. I dry fire all my firearms religiously since you can't just go out and shoot everyday.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

AussieHunter
.224 member

Reged: 29/08/07
Loc: Outback, NSW, Australia
Re: Dry Fire [Re: 475Guy]
      #87645 - 23/10/07 07:22 PM

The rifle is brand new

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
      #87646 - 23/10/07 10:18 PM

AussieHunter

The only centre fire I have seen break the firing pin with dry firing was the M94 30/30. However, they are totally different to the firing pin set up in a bolt action.

Dry firing a bolt action does not worry me in the least. If there was to be a problem then the dry firing involved to do the trigger would not even come close.

Mike

jro45
.300 member

Reged: 25/12/03
Loc: DE, USA
      #88469 - 08/11/07 06:59 AM

If the maker of the rifle says so its OK other wise no.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #88472 - 08/11/07 07:53 AM

It's bad to dry fire a rimfire because the firing pin can impact the rim recess part of the chamber, with negative effects to both barrel and firing pin. This problem can be avoided simply by leaving a fired case in the chamber to cushion the blow.

The use of an appropriate snap cap in a center fire rifle effectively renders dry firing with it safe. A snap cap can be improvised by resizing and depriming a fired case, then plugging the primer pocket with a plug of hard rubber.

If you plan to add a bullet to create a dummy cartridge, bore a couple of holes through the sides of the case, making it identifiable as a dummy round at a glance. Such dummy cartridges are invaluable resources for rapid fire and rapid reloading practice.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #88513 - 09/11/07 12:04 AM

Quote:

Is it bad to dry fire a centre fire rifle? I have heard it is bad to dry fire a rimfire. I am adjusting my trigger and i dont want to stuff the firing pin on my rifle. So i just want to know if i can or cannot dry fire my rifle.

Cheers

totally agree it is NOT hard on MOST centerfires to dry fire---also agree a snap cap is a good idea--as to rim fire--bad as described above---

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #88537 - 09/11/07 03:58 AM

Quote:

Cheers

; For years, dry fire practise was the best way to practise prone, kneeling and standing position shooting in the living room during inclement weather. It will not hurt most centrefire actions. Many rimfire firing pins hit the chamber's rim recess if there isn't a case chambered. Some rimfires are safe to dry-fire as the pin stops short and doesn't overlapp the rim recess, many aren't.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Dry Fire [Re: DarylS]
      #88589 - 09/11/07 11:33 PM

Quote:

Some rimfires are safe to dry-fire as the pin stops short and doesn't overlapp the rim recess, many aren't.

If they're not, shorten the firing pin protrusion till it stops short of hitting the metal. No earthly reason why a rimfire firing pin nose should touch anything unless a cartridge is chambered.

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Dry Fire [Re: Marrakai]
      #88611 - 10/11/07 03:11 AM

You are right, Marrakai - someone askng the original question probably lacks the expertise to properly shorten and re-shape the firing pin tip. Too, these actions sometimes aren't merely equipped with overlength pins, but with pins lacking a positive stop shoulder & therefore they can only stop against the chamber's edge. Pins that have a built-in stop, can, of couse be shortened as you suggest.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #89196 - 18/11/07 02:44 AM

Probably the wrong thing to say here but I picked up a huge quantity of 22 lr ammunition when I went to Milwaukee some time ago at a fantastic price. Don't have to worry about dry firing either of my 22s. A brick of 500 rounds cost less than a cup of coffee at a nice restaurant.

I'm guessing that in Australia where you guys get to hunt more than shooters anywhere else ever could, you should find similar bargains and be able to have serious fun.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: Dry Fire [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #89224 - 18/11/07 11:15 AM

Sadly, in my part of Australia (the 'Deep North' ), the 'rabbits' average 3/4 ton!

OT, apologies, but I'm envious of my southern friends (and Kiwi mates!) who can jump the back fence and take a 10-minute walk with a .22 for rabbits. Whenever I travel I can't get enough rabbit-shooting. ...and it's just perfect for inducting youngsters to the sport of shooting of course!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Dry Fire [Re: Marrakai]
      #89630 - 24/11/07 10:00 AM

Quote:

Sadly, in my part of Australia (the 'Deep North' ), the 'rabbits' average 3/4 ton!

Marrakai,

You're doing your best to get us all jealous, aren't you? Don't expect me to believe that you're really envious of those who can shoot rabbits whenever they want to with the kind of game you have access to.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Re: Dry Fire [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #100067 - 23/03/08 02:33 PM

You can purchase 22 Long Rifle Snap Caps. A-Zoom makes and sells them (red aluminum/alloy). Oh I don't know about Australia though. Well I have Snap Caps for all my different calibers. It makes Dry Firing all my rifles,shotguns and handguns a more comfortable experience. Especially my older firearms.Also I have found that since I've started Dry Firing on a consistent basis a few years ago my ability as a shooter has improved.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3223

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com