Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: India and Asia Vintage photos

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
India and Asia Vintage photos
      #381529 - 25/12/23 04:26 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: India and Asia Vintage photos [Re: NitroX]
      #381530 - 25/12/23 04:27 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381531 - 25/12/23 04:28 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381532 - 25/12/23 04:29 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381533 - 25/12/23 04:30 PM

--------------------
John aka NitroX

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #381686 - 31/12/23 08:25 AM

I never tire of these! Thanks for posting.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: India and Asia Vintage photos [Re: degoins]
      #381710 - 01/01/24 05:59 PM

Nice trophies. And also rifles

Red stags. Markhor ibex or goats from the Himalayas.

I think Scottish Stag with a young Princess Elizabeth.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381724 - 02/01/24 04:00 AM

Tally Ho! Pig sticking.

I'll have to send this to the wife's nephew.Surveying by camel.

GIR, Lion!

I wonder when or if they were more widely spread across India? A Farsebook map I saw recently had Lion once covering all of India. But Farcebook makes Wikipedia seems 100% accurate.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381725 - 02/01/24 04:02 AM

A beard for the times.

That's an ancient firearm. A wheel lock!

Carry your birds on a stick.

The Karen's would go wild over this old vintage image.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381726 - 02/01/24 04:03 AM

A photo for the family album no doubt.

I note the Howdah platform. I want to make one for my simulated Howdah target running and charging tiger shoot.

I've noted for when I need to carry my tiger out.

Tahir? Tanir? Larger than I thought by a big margin.

Or what is an Tanir?

Cool family photograph.

Arseholes proudly sitting with two cubs and the mother they shot. What were the circumstances?

Admiring the 6view.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381727 - 02/01/24 04:07 AM

Posts reposted to the correct thread.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #381814 - 07/01/24 08:02 PM

Quote:

Posts reposted to the correct thread.

John

Just been re-reading ‘Thirty Seven Years Big -Game Hunting in Cooch Behar, The Duars and Assam by the Maharajah of Cooch Behar, a record of shikar from the 1880’s until early 1900’s, it seems that Tiger cubs were often shot along with their Mothers, a combination it seems of being considered ‘all part of a days sport’ and also possibly reflecting views of that time that Tiger were vermin.

Not wishing to sit in judgment of any hunters of the past, it is still hard to reconcile views from that time that all animals were at the disposal of the hunter to shoot at will, moreso when one considers how low numbers of Asian Rhino and Tiger have now become, although back in the early 1900’s it would probably have seemed inconceivable that once seemingly endless numbers of such game could fall to below critical levels in just a few generations.

Not criticising our forbears, they were representative of views extant during that period, for anyone curious to understand this I commend reading the book, it is a good account of Shikar in the jungles of India and is instructive on the views of what animals represented ‘fair game’

Of course we read these narratives very much with attitudes viewed through a prism of the present where conservation and managed control are very much at the heart of modern hunting, but the contrast is as stark,as it is interesting.

Jonathan

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: India and Asia Vintage photos [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #381817 - 08/01/24 05:25 AM

Different times, different standards ...

But some of these maharajah sorts were unsporting tally score shooter types. Shooting anything and everything.

Let's not romanticism them. Stories of Corbett are one thing. Hunting Maneaters on foot in the jungle, alone in a machan or tree.

Many of these rajah sorts sat in towers well above danger. While hundreds of beaters drove animals past their towers. I don't mean machans, I mean elaborate towers. I have paintings of it. They were way to cowardly to ever hunt on foot.

One rajah is reported as shooting 90 tigers in a single day.

Just like shooting tamish pen bred canned lions is legal but held in contempt, not a lot different for some back then.

Reading between the ones of Corbett one can pick this up.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Hunter4752001
.300 member

Reged: 25/01/10
Loc: Australia
      #381825 - 08/01/24 04:28 PM

Without knowing the specific circumstances it's unsound to comment one way or the other. However I would note that destroying the cubs would be acceptable in two situations involving cases where the mother was killed for being a known man eater, or destroyer of stock:

i. Cubs that are too young to survive on their own would need to be destroyed rather than have them slowly starve to death.

ii. Especially in the case of man eaters, cubs may have learnt to associate humans as prey and need to be destroyed to prevent them being a future threat.

I'm not claiming either of these situations was in play in these photos, just that I wouldn't rush to judgement. I also note that the primary reason for the decline in tiger numbers isn't hunting, but rather habitat loss affecting both tigers and their primary prey species.

kuduae
.400 member

Reged: 13/01/10
Loc: middle of Germany
      #381831 - 08/01/24 11:18 PM

Quote:

Tahir? Tanir? Larger than I thought by a big margin.

Or what is an Tanir?

It's a Malayan Tapir (tapirus indicus). The bottom of the letter p is cut off.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #381840 - 09/01/24 03:14 PM

deleted

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (11/01/24 01:46 AM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: India and Asia Vintage photos [Re: 9.3x57]
      #381842 - 09/01/24 03:39 PM

Corbett goes to a lot of effort writing to justify when he shot a tiger cub or cubs.

Some a###holes just don't care. Just because other a###holes cheer doesn't mean they are not all a###holes ...

Even today look at some maneaters photos, some of the cats are juveniles. Allegedly because they shoot every cat in the area.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#381844 - 09/01/24 03:49 PM

Quote:

Corbett goes to a lot of effort writing to justify when he shot a tiger cub or cubs.

Some a###holes just don't care. Just because other a###holes cheer doesn't mean they are not all a###holes ...

Even today look at some maneaters photos, some of the cats are juveniles. Allegedly because they shoot every cat in the area.

Could very well be.

We live among cougar, wolves, black bear and now increasingly grizzly. It is really interesting to contrast the opinions of folks on the issues: those who want them for sport, those who have livestock, those who just have to live with them, and those who live elsewhere but want to know they are here.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381846 - 09/01/24 04:32 PM

Quote:

We live among cougar, wolves, black bear and now increasingly grizzly. It is really interesting to contrast the opinions of folks on the issues: those who want them for sport, those who have livestock, those who just have to live with them, and those who live elsewhere but want to know they are here.

It's interesting to see how many Americans, often the same ones moan and grow endlessy about wolves. But love lions and complain about Africans poaching, killing, poisoning lions.

Tigers? When I was in India, at Bandavagarh Park, I think it was, a herd boy following up a lost cow chanced upon it and the tiger that had killed it. The tiger killed the boy.

While population encroachment, deforestation, reduced tiger numbers the most, a###holes thinking shooting ninety tigers in a single day by a single Maharajah was laudable certainly contributed to its population decline.

Some of you guys really need to actually read Corbett. He describes the tiger as the Gentleman of the Jungle. As a child wandered the jungle, and tigers ignored him. That tigers generally don't hunt and kill humans. If protecting cubs, most mothers are dangerous. Defending a kill is common for many predators. But Corbett describes why Maneaters usually occur. Age, damaged or worn teeth, injuries wounds. Making it hard for the tiger to hunt and kill it's usual prey.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#381848 - 09/01/24 05:08 PM

I'm not sure what you are driving at.

I have read Corbett.

We live with a lot of predators. Each one has its specific beauty, interesting habits and brings with it specific challenges. For those that do not live with predators and have no experience with them except possibly hunting them for sport or viewing them (those that can be viewed, anyway) the tendency from what I've seen is to have fanciful ideas which clouds their abilities to understand the complexities facing game departments and locals who do live with them.

--------------------

85lc
.375 member

Reged: 19/01/18
Loc: Georgia, USA
      #381855 - 10/01/24 09:21 AM

Guys, this has been an interesting discussion. In a different time, a dead predator was a good predator, be it a cub or mature male. I remember reading stories about people rigging a Piper cub with a rifle to shoot goldern eagles because eagles ate a lamb or two. To me, predators are an interesting part of nature that keep prey in check but also predators need to be kept in check. Predatrs and predator control are issues that game departments try to resolve and unfortunately receive too much pressure from those that don't understand game managhement.

--------------------
RB

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: India and Asia Vintage photos [Re: 85lc]
      #381856 - 10/01/24 10:54 AM

Quote:

To me, predators are an interesting part of nature that keep prey in check but also predators need to be kept in check. Predatrs and predator control are issues that game departments try to resolve and unfortunately receive too much pressure from those that don't understand game managhement.

The main factor I seeon the internet is one can eat an elk. But one doesn't eat a wolf. The wolves eat elk. And reduce the populations a lot, Human meat hunters get upset. Want them wiped out again.

Of course uncontrolled predator numbers are a conservation problem.

However all that is irrelevant as I was referring to two aholes proudly sitting over a tiger mother and two immature cubs they'd killed.

And as for changed attitudes over time BS, I've also pointed out Corbett's attitude to cub killing. He does talk about it when he killec a Maneaters mother and her cub(s). And spends effort to explain the cub killing may have been necessary

I'll readily shoot fox cubs. They are a pest, a great killervof native species plus lambs, chickens etc. Very numerous. Not likely under current circumstances to be shot out. Biological controls will probably do it one day.

Foxes are pests. But I like them. Smart game and good to hunt. Soon we will be shooting them in drives to reduce numbers on farms. Unfortunately thevfurd are not good, but shot this time of the year when the younger ones are out before they wisen up.

Now I once mentioned to a visiting German the shooting of Fox cubs. And he said "No!!!!". He was an ignorant pig. Refused to see anything as acceptable elsewhere other than his attitudes from his own country. Foxes might be much rarer in Europe. Hunting in Sweden a hunter got quite excited to shoot a fox. Numbers are much lesser, therefore it's seen as a negative to shoot fox cubs.

Fox cubs vs tiger cubs? Neither are trophies to sit "proudly" over, especially the tiger. An apex predator.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

9.3x57
.450 member

#381857 - 10/01/24 12:00 PM

I'm sorry John. I don't really understand something. It seems (maybe I was wrong, it's the i-net after all) that something bugged you besides cubs (juveniles, whatever the species might be) which you above said you'd shoot if necessary, but I'm not sure what it was. Our predators here are not any longer just stock killers but even those are very serious issues. Those issues here are developing into something much more. So cubs or adults, I understand both approaches. It seems you do, too, but I'm not sure the details.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381859 - 10/01/24 03:05 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry John. I don't really understand something. It seems (maybe I was wrong, it's the i-net after all) that something bugged you besides cubs (juveniles, whatever the species might be) which you above said you'd shoot if necessary, but I'm not sure what it was. Our predators here are not any longer just stock killers but even those are very serious issues. Those issues here are developing into something much more. So cubs or adults, I understand both approaches. It seems you do, too, but I'm not sure the details.

Maybe because my post is nothing to do with you.

Maybe because this thread is about the historical photos and the uncontrolled killing of tigers including immature cubs as evifenced in one image. The results including population encroachment is evidence by the extremely endangered status of tigers today.

The slaughter of other predators such as lions, same story and factors, is putting the wild lions species increasingly at extinction risk.

I didn't write what you write above. Don't try to misquote me again.

Now Rod, if you want to continue talking about your pumas, wolves etc start your own thread please.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#381860 - 10/01/24 03:15 PM

Back to the image.

Two arseholes sitting firbphotis over two immature tiger cubs shot.

Elephant drive on bears in Kashmir.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1570

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com