Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Price Of Tiger

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Asia

Pages: 1
Farhan
.275 member

Reged: 31/01/07
Loc: Pakistan
Price Of Tiger
      #79051 - 20/05/07 07:35 PM

Price of a Tiger

I am not trying to determine the price of the human tigers, as they still are quite abundant. Some of them active, some of them retired, and some of them peeping from behind jail cells What with the Sher-e-Punjabs, the Sher-e Sinds and the Sher-e-Pakistans Etc. All the four provinces, and the country, have had, more than their share of such Shers. It is the real Tigers, Panthera tigris tigris, that I am talking about. It would be a difficult thing to put a price on such a rare species even today, but our enlightened rulers of the days gone by, suffered no such qualms in fixing it at a few rupees. This money was paid to whoever killed these magnificent Kings of the Jungle, and their offspring. Mind you, these were not some man eaters like Col. Peterson's lions of Tsavo, or Jim Corbett's tigers of Kumaon; these were perfectly normal, run of the mill types, leading their lives according to the laws of nature, or rather, according to the laws of the Jungle. As such there was no justification to announce rewards and Certificates of Merit for their destruction. This is exactly what the agents of Her Majesty's Government did. I have recently picked up a number of Gazetteers of the late nineteenth century, compiled by the British, who happened to be governing the Sub continent then. Apart from other things of interest, I was shocked by the deliberate destruction and ensuing extinction of the Carnivores of this part of undivided India. These are the same, precious species, which organizations the world over, are trying to protect and re-introduce in areas where they existed or still exist. . The programs being planned and implemented by spending billions now, for the propagation or preservation of these carnivores, cost her Majesty's government a few thousand rupees to annihilate and exterminate, without any apparent justification. The locals were encouraged to wipe out Tigers, Leopards, Wolves, Hyenas, Bears Etc. Etc. Rewards were fixed at Rs. Eight for a mature tiger or tigress and Rs. One to Rs. Three for their cubs, depending upon their size(Rs. 8 = 15 cents U.S and Rs. 1 =2 cents U.S) To top it all, certificates of merit, for bravery, were issued to whoever rid the local populace of these dangerous animals! One such gazetteer gives an account in these words, "Leopards (felis pardus, locally called chitra) are found in all the hill tracts of Hazara.In the Gandgarh hills and in the hills round Khanpur, Tigers(felis tigris, termed by the people samundari) are occasionally met with, but they are rare. The whole species, both of tigers or leopards, are locally called shin or sher. Bears and monkeys are also found in all the hill tracts, where they are great enemies to the autumn maize crops. The bears are not very fierce, and are easily shot by the zamindars; the Gujars(Pala-log) of Kagan frequently kill them with clubs. Hyenas (hyena striata, locally called takkhar) are common in...................". In the next paragraph dealing with rewards paid, it says, "In the five years ending 1882, Rs. 407 were paid for the destruction of 16 Tigers, 43 Leopards, 7 Bears and 4 wolves". This excerpt is from the Gazetteer of Hazara District, 1883-84, published under authority of the Punjab Government, Govt. Of India It is not known how many Carnivores suffered the same cruel fate before 1869. This was just one district alone. And all this happened only, a hundred years ago! How utterly devoid of logic, this state-sponsored slaughter was; I fail to understand. It reminds me of Chief Seattle's( chief of a native American tribe, the Sukuamish) letter to the then President of America, in which he says, "I have seen a thousand rotting buffaloes on the Prairie, left by the white man who shot them from a passing train.. This is the buffalo that we only kill to stay alive. What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone , man would surely die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to man. But I am a savage and do not understand any other way". Apart from officially sponsoring and promoting their whole scale slaughter, there are accounts of British sportsmen, both civil and military, who are accredited with having shot more than a hundred tigers and the same number of leopards. There are a number of biographies and memoirs where the authors have regretted being called back to England before completing their double centuries. George V, Prince of Wales and Emperor of India, in his tour of the sub-continent, shot thirty-nine tigers, eighteen rhinos and four leopards in less than a week. It is strange that the very people who considered themselves the upholders of everything that was fair and just could have been so uncaring and callous, so as to be the perpetuators of this unforgivable crime. But this was their attitude towards wildlife in colonies being governed by them only. As far as their own homeland was concerned, these same British would hang a serf or a peasant, who was guilty of the crime of killing the King's deer.(Maybe due to pangs of hunger, or to feed their children) On the other hand rulers who have been termed barbarians and savages like Genghis Khan the Mongol, Amir Taimur the Lame and Sulaiman the Magnificient, all made laws to protect the wildlife of their domains. The mongol Khan, in his famous Quriltai (gathering of all the mongol people) of 1206, held at the junction of the Onon gol, in Mongolia, decreed the death penalty in the Jasay(Assembly to make laws), for whoever killed birds and animals during the breeding season, or killed their young. Zahiruddin Muhammed Babur (the Lion), founder of Mughal rule in India, took time out from his many and pressing engagements to pen down the various forms of wildlife that he came across, in his Baburnama. Time and again he emphasized the need to preserve them through strict laws. He went to the extent of declaring the summer months (when most of the birds and animals breed) as closed seasons for hunting, and forbade the hunting of female animals, to whichever species they belonged. The last known Tigers were shot along the banks of the Indus, as recently as the first decade of the twentieth century. There were reports of Tigers from the Hazara and Rawalpindi districts till as late as 1926(Both these areas are hilly, mountainous and were thickly forested) There is also a report of a Tigress having been shot by some British officer near Muzaffargarh, along the Indus, in 1936. Would it not be fair to ask Her Majesty's Government for compensation, or better still(as no one can fix a price for even one Tiger lost), to at least put back the number of Carnivores they helped or abetted in exterminating? Strangely enough, the agencies and organizations working in our country, including the IUCN and the WWF, were not aware of this massive slaughter, at the behest of the British Government, despite their vast network and resources at their disposal. Even Roberts does not refer to this in his detailed book on Mammals in Pakistan, for which the Government of Pakistan conferred a Civil award on him.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Price Of Tiger [Re: Farhan]
      #79094 - 21/05/07 11:39 AM

Farhan

Welcome

I need to correct at least one thing you wrote.

Quote:

It reminds me of Chief Seattle's( chief of a native American tribe, the Suquamish) letter to the then President of America, in which he says, "I have seen a thousand rotting buffaloes on the Prairie, left by the white man who shot them from a passing train.. This is the buffalo that we only kill to stay alive. What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone , man would surely die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to man. But I am a savage and do not understand any other way".

As a person living in the Seattle area for most of my life I will have to disagree that Chief Seattle ever said this. He died in 1866, 3 years before the railway was done to San Francisco and 20 years before it ever arrived in Puget Sound area. He never left the Seattle area and surely never saw or probably ever heard of a Buffalo as the nearest one would have been 1000 miles away. The massacre of the Buffalo would not happen until after he was dead.

I think this quote, which I have also seen in Kruger Park in RSA, is a work of fiction by some writer looking to make a point. Too bad he felt he had to attribute it to a man that surely didn't care one way or the other.

As for Tigers, well it is hard to say looking back how many people they killed or injured. It seems that the horrendous increase in human populations in India since 1948 and the raping of the forests would have a lot to do with their disappearance also.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Farhan
.275 member

Re: Price Of Tiger [Re: mickey]
      #79111 - 21/05/07 08:07 PM

DearR Micky

You wrote

I think this quote, which I have also seen in Kruger Park in RSA, is a work of fiction by some writer looking to make a point. Too bad he felt he had to attribute it to a man that surely didn't care one way or the other.

I read it in some book and saved it and used it.Whatever you assume may be true but this is not my fault.But so mny thanks or your information.

As for tigers
i wrote

Mind you, these were not some man eaters like Col. Peterson's lions of Tsavo, or Jim Corbett's tigers of Kumaon; these were perfectly normal, run of the mill types, leading their lives according to the laws of nature, or rather, according to the laws of the Jungle

Remeber british goverment had the record of all injuries and death caused by these animals and they add this in the district gzzets.
This slughter happened without any reason.

Edited by Farhan (21/05/07 08:10 PM)

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #79153 - 22/05/07 11:36 AM

Farhan

Here is some interesting research regarding the fake speech.

http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/progress/fake.html

Perhaps the Brits need to answer for the tigers etc. before 1947 but doesn't the Indian Government and the Indian people need to answer for the slaughter after 1947?

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Farhan
.275 member

Re: Price Of Tiger [Re: mickey]
      #79174 - 22/05/07 03:39 PM

Friend iam pakistani not indian and dont know what indiain did after partation in 1947 but i know well how we pakistani slughtered wildlife in pakistan and still now doing this and not only doing by ourselves but also helping arabs to do this heroic deed so every years arabs come and destry our wildlife on unbelieveable scale

Edited by Farhan (22/05/07 03:41 PM)

moazzam
.224 member

Reged: 19/08/07
Loc: pakistan
      #84309 - 20/08/07 03:26 PM

mr farhan at ur eid ul azha u mill find many bulls with the name of shar e punjab and share sarhad......

--------------------
guns are by luck not by money.

shooter
.224 member

Reged: 25/11/08
Loc: UK
Re: Price Of Tiger [Re: moazzam]
      #166523 - 20/08/10 11:43 AM

There is no point in comparing numbers, or politics of two countries.

Its a sad thing that the massacre happened.

The main hunt in india before the british was pig sticking or if one was even richer, hunting with dogs or cheetahs, falcons etc.

With the british started the trophy hunting and the indians also believed that was the civilised thing to do and continued to do so for another 25 years but one cant compare the sheer numbers of edwardian era hunts and post 1947 for obvious reasons.

And no these werent man eaters or cattle lifters. Most wildlife after 1972 was destroyed through habitat destruction and poaching. Hunting doesnt deplete population but massacring does.

Lord reading, Lord linlithgow, Lord curzon, King george of course, King edward, you name the person, he did it. And to top it up the wing shooting numbers were attained without gamekeeping!!

I have seen what killing hundred partridges a day for 5 years does to the population of the surrounding.

What happened to the bison is sad but its good they have made a comeback.

Hope the same happens to the animals of the subcontinent.

--------------------
Born to hunt, forced to work

navigrewal
.224 member

Reged: 10/02/06
Re: Price Of Tiger [Re: shooter]
      #166789 - 25/08/10 11:01 AM

Farhan

Unfortunately as shooter pointed out we cant reverse the clock but both the nations are responsible for damage done to wildlife post 1947. An estimate at profit made by poachers imagine the money government would have made had they legalized hunting - this money would have been spent locally.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050529/spectrum/main1.htm
"

Organised crime

In August 1993, when a consignment of six full-grown tiger skins, besides tiger bones, and leopard, chital, fox and otter skins were seized from Majnu ka Tila in Delhi, the extent of this heinous crime was established. Since then several seizures have been made. Smugglers get shahtoosh wool from Tibet to India and take tiger skins and body parts back to Tibet and China, says nappy Kumar.

While India is the hub for the supply of dead tigers, China is the biggest retail market from where the tiger skins and parts are further supplied to Vietnam, Taiwan, West Asia, South Korea and Japan.

It is believed that in the past 10 years 1,500 tigers have been killed and Rs 900 crore earned by poachers ( US $200 Million). A tiger skin is worth Rs 10 to 12 lakh and the value of each poached tiger is Rs 60 lakh."
1 Crore = 1,000,0000

Rich and politically connected guys these days are encroaching on sanctuaries to open so called resorts or illegal mining. Read below how one such brave activist who was opposing Gir Forest mining mafias was assassinated that too in front of High Court in broad daylight

"Ahmedabad, July 20: An RTI activist who launched a campaign against illegal mining in Gir forest was shot dead by unidentified men this evening as he was coming out of his office opposite Gujarat High Court.

Police said Amit Jethwa, in his thirties, was shot from point-blank range.

Jethwa, a resident of Khambha village in Saurashtra’s Amreli district, had recently filed a public interest petition against illegal mining in the Gir forest. "
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100721/jsp/nation/story_12708321.jsp
Its a battle which India, Brazil and other nations loosing a specie /animal/or trees a day..

Nevertheless all said and done its sad to know that no Tigers are left in Pakistan atleast in the wild but recently I have read that many powerful folks actually own Tigers and Lions in their private Zoos! Including Nawaz Sharief ( Ex PM) nephew or son who had to return a Siberian Tiger?

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Price Of Tiger [Re: navigrewal]
      #166792 - 25/08/10 12:58 PM

There is a full tiger rug with head for sale in Perth Oz for 12 grand. atm.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3733

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com