Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Waterfowling and Stalking on the South Island

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Chasseur
.375 member

Reged: 18/11/03
Loc: Hunting classic Indian game!
Waterfowling and Stalking on the South Island
      20/04/15 05:45 AM

Recently, my dad and I got to fulfill some long-term dreams taking a trip to New Zealand. Many decades ago my dad thought long (as a young and single man) and hard about relocating to New Zealand and tramp about the Southern Alps. Luckily for me he didn't do it but he never got to see the Southern Island. I've wanted to stalk red stag and shoot Paradise ducks there for many a year. With both of us having a little more income and my dad still being spry we didn't we should put of the trip any longer.

I am a free-range hunter, so I was not interested in helicopters or high-wire fences so I decided to go with James Gray. We didn't have much time for the trip so we went with a couple of days of late summer pest-control waterfowl shooting and then a couple of days free-range red stag stalking on some local farms. We were in North Canterbury agricultural area. I brought my vintage guns, my post-war French Seytre 12 bore, and my Alex Henry 500bpe for the stags.

It was a compromise hunt, a little late for the birds, a little early for the stag. So the ducks were hard to find and so were the stag.

Out duck shooting in the paddocks:

Unfortunately, we didn't see the huge flights of Paras until after the season closed...

--------------------
In regards to action he should devote himself to hunting...
-Machiavelli

Edited by Chasseur (20/04/15 11:18 AM)

Post Extras Print Post   Remind Me!     Notify Moderator

Entire topic
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Waterfowling and Stalking on the South Island Chasseur 20/04/15 05:45 AM
. * * Re: Waterfowling and Stalking on the South Island Chasseur   20/04/15 05:55 AM
. * * Re: Waterfowling and Stalking on the South Island Bidgee   20/04/15 10:25 AM
. * * Re: Waterfowling and Stalking on the South Island Chasseur   20/04/15 11:22 AM
. * * Re: Waterfowling and Stalking on the South Island DarylS   21/04/15 02:03 AM
. * * Re: Waterfowling and Stalking on the South Island stug   22/04/15 02:09 PM

Extra information
1 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 2366

Rate this thread

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com