Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SA Duck & Quail Season 2018

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
SA Duck & Quail Season 2018
      #310780 - 21/01/18 08:44 PM

News releases - Ian Hunter
2018 duck and quail season announced
Ian Hunter December 27, 2017

South Australia will have a duck and quail season in 2018, with hunters able to take the full bag of 12 ducks per hunter per day for the first time since 2013.

The season will be slightly restricted, with blue-winged shovelers continuing to be excluded, while the limit for stubble quail has been reduced to 20 from the traditional full bag of 25.

Duck season begins on 17 February 2018 and finishes on 24 June. Quail season runs from 17 February to 26 August.

Background

South Australian legislation allows for properly managed and regulated hunting of game birds by licensed shooters.

Last year’s limit was 10 ducks and 25 quail per hunter per day.

Blue-winged shovelers have been excluded from the list of ducks that can be hunted since 2003.

Duck and quail hunters in South Australia must hold a valid gun licence and a permit from the Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources, and must have passed a waterfowl identification test.

They must also use non-toxic shot and comply with the Code of Practice for the Humane Destruction of Birds by Shooting.

For more information on duck and quail hunting permits, please visit www.environment.sa.gov.au

Quotes attributable to Sustainability, Environment and Conservation Minister Ian Hunter

The decision to allow a duck and quail season is based on scientific research and consultation with stakeholder groups, including hunting and conservation organisations.

This year’s full bag of 12 ducks per day per hunter is up from 10 last year, reflecting current good environmental conditions and strong duck numbers.

The limit for stubble quail has been reduced to 20 a day as a cautionary measure due to breeding trends.

Bool Lagoon and Bucks Lake in the South East will once again be closed to hunters, and the blue-winged shoveler will be excluded from hunting due to ongoing concerns about the population.

https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/index.php/...eason-announced

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: SA Duck & Quail Season 2018 [Re: NitroX]
      #310987 - 25/01/18 10:00 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Thanks for sharing NitroX.
Great to hear the Game populations, are now at huntable numbers.

Doh!
Homer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SA Duck & Quail Season 2018 [Re: Homer]
      #311019 - 25/01/18 07:09 PM

We've had a season for most of the past years.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: SA Duck & Quail Season 2018 [Re: NitroX]
      #311109 - 26/01/18 05:54 PM

Quote:

Bool Lagoon and Bucks Lake in the South East will once again be closed to hunters, and the blue-winged shoveler will be excluded from hunting due to ongoing concerns about the population.

The non existent game reserves. Bool Lagoon has not been opened for decades now.

Claim to be a nesting area for freckled duck and musk duck I think so no shooting, what BS!

Probably also due to it was the favourite place for the Victorian anti idiots to journey to, and cause trouble. Plus allegedly stupid shooters, perhaps from across the border, though the Victorians also come to other game reserves, so why did Bool Lagoon get a bad reputation.

On the whole, if keeping our season going, without controversy means Bool Lagoon is never opened, its an OK trade off.

Bloody good to see the SA gov't on scientific analysis has INCREASED the bag limits and season this year. Shows they are willing to go in BOTH directions. Not just reducing year after year as a hidden anti measure. Might have something to do with a March election (?) but so few duck shooters now, probably zero difference.

I want to get onto some quail shooting this year. Have to keep an eye out when fox drive shooting on farms this February and March. Plus some duck shooting. Maybe an opening day, first time in years. And the usual creek and dam shooting in the nearby hills. Always heavily dependent on whether the dams have water in them. A lot were full not long ago so good chances.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1869

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com