Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A black fallow buck

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
A black fallow buck
      #278808 - 05/03/16 07:48 AM

I`m fairly sure I posted this pic a couple of years ago.I travelled up to Port Macquarie and did a five hour drive west.
I got my buck after three ten hour days of hard yakka.

Anyway yesterday old mate that got me onto his place advised me the latest news that on the next door property 700 PLUS Fallow Deer were shot over and around the Xmas period.
He was of the opinion the deer were left to rot.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: A black fallow buck [Re: gryphon]
      #278830 - 05/03/16 04:37 PM

Worth posting the buck photo again.

As for the deer cull, what a criminal waste of meat. Let alone the sporting value of the herd wasted in this way.

Even some so called hunters nowadays claim they think it is fine just to shoot deer out of hand and leave them to rot, also being too lazy and soft to gut an animal, skin and butcher it.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Re: A black fallow buck [Re: NitroX]
      #278837 - 05/03/16 05:28 PM

I put the black fella up as to being somewhat indicative of the local herds bucks..they all run where the feed is at any time.I was fortunate that he was on my side of the fence at the time.

How many quality bucks were shot to rot?

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #278846 - 05/03/16 07:41 PM

Beautiful looking animal..congrats..I really enjoy fallow deer..neat animals..

As to the cull--what a terrible waste IMHO...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

Reged: 19/04/13
Loc: Melbourne Australia
Re: A black fallow buck [Re: Ripp]
      #278871 - 06/03/16 09:43 AM

As wild game meat cannot be legally sold in Australia like it can in Europe, many game animals not just deer end up being left to rot or bulldozed into a big hole. I know a chap who does some cull work for a farmer and he shot 56 Sambar deer in one Weekend after Christmas this year and they were all bulldozed into a hole. He took what he could but the farmer was not interested in any of the meat. Unfortunately this is not all that uncommon here in Australia as there are many trophy hunters, particularly the young ones who have no interest in the meat. Many of them do not carry meat bags and have no way of dealing with the meat at home e.g. nowhere to hang it and no freezers to store it. We also have the problem here that many people distrust and refuse to eat any meat that isn't beef, lamb, pork or chicken. I know plenty of hunters were the parent, wives and kids won't touch game meat and so it not as much fun for the bloke hunting to cook and eat by himself. Many wives won't even allow the meat into the house. Most of my mates that I hunt with have this problem were the dumb wife wont touch anything hunted, a couple won't even eat freshly caught fish. They are nice people but obviously fucking retarded, however this is the problem when you have a fairly ignorant and stupid population. To much time on Facebook. When I bring home game meat or fish the whole family pounce on it and it is gone immediately. The kids would eat it raw if I let them.
The schools of course don't help either as although they push and talk about nothing else than organic and free range, hunting is never condoned even though it is the most organic and free range of all. My kids can't mention at school that I hunt and that they eat wild game meat as they would be victimised by the teachers as well as a lot of the other kids, and the girls are even worse than the boys.

In an ironic twist, game meat is slowly becoming more popular due to those stupid cooking shows like "Master Chef" and "My Kitchen Rules" while although they are completely set-up and rigged they do cook quite a lot of game and all of a sudden the dumb public are willing to try it because some cretin on a TV show eats it. The fact that people have been eating venison for thousands of years doesn't seem to be important.

It is really sad and only seems to have happened in the last thirty years. Hopefully it changes back one day although I am not holding my breath.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with vegetarian food, so long as there is meat with it.

gryphon
.450 member

Re: A black fallow buck [Re: Waidmannsheil]
      #278872 - 06/03/16 09:59 AM

Wild game meat is regularly harvested by shooters in NSW Pigs for starters have been a big trade for human consumption,with the majority going to Europe.

MKR my missus advised had 'wild boar' served up several weeks ago. (which state? FIIK!! ha ha)

Plenty of deer are shot as "add ons" by roo shooters too.I dont know if they are kosher for the public though.
However letting the above to rot is a crime,same as the spotlighted sambar you mentioned.

Perhaps the shooter next time could think of the Melb zoo,Werribee Park etc,they would have sent trucks to pick it up as meat is always wanted,guts and all!

A pride of lions would eat any sambar in a sitting!

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#278878 - 06/03/16 11:17 AM

As you said, "The majority going to Europe" which is exactly my point, why is it not all being sold and eaten here. I would be pretty certain that all the wild boar shot in Europe would be eaten in Europe and not exported.
The zoo is a good idea however I wonder whether the zoo would travel past Mansfield to pick it up, probably not.
As far as selling wild game meat in Victoria, it is illegal. Some of the better restaurants will serve wild game as a small special of the day but they are running a risk of being closed down if they are caught. Your local butcher will not allow any wild venison into the shop even if he is only cutting it up for you for the same reasons.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#278880 - 06/03/16 11:53 AM

The zoo is a good idea however I wonder whether the zoo would travel past Mansfield to pick it up, probably not.

Considering the price of cattle/lambs and now pork in Aus even the trim and shite bones are sold in dollars per kilo.

I bet the zoo would send a carrier to pick up even just a tonne of carcase,as a donation it is a far cheaper option.

Mansfield Freight go`s to Melb daily,I wonder how he would react ha ha.

--------------------

Waidmannsheil
.400 member

#278886 - 06/03/16 01:22 PM

I will mention it to him and report back whether the plan was successful or not.

Waidmannsheil.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

#278892 - 06/03/16 05:58 PM

ABC online today,paste below..I bet the zoo`s are hurting which makes the deer shot seem even more wasteful.

In the last three years Australia has recorded its highest cattle herd in 30 years.

What's hard to fathom, is in that same period it has tumbled to its lowest inventory in two decades.

Cattle are in high demand; from restockers, feedlots and processors.

It is driving up the price at the saleyards and at a retail level.

That price pain is expected to continue into the 2016-17 season.

This financial year, the national agricultural forecaster ABARES predicts the weighted average saleyard price of beef cattle to increase further to average 530 cents a kilogram.

Prices are tipped to soften by 2020, on the back of increased global competition for beef exports.

ABARES forecasted the national beef cattle herd was expected to fall by 2 per cent to 23.7 million head by the middle of this year.

--------------------

sbs470
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/04
Loc: Sheffield Tasmania
      #278896 - 06/03/16 07:50 PM

cattle prices are up and I've just sold the property. The whole herd is for sale .I turned off 30 weaners the other day with a good result.Still a hundred or so to go plus calves.Then I can go fallow shooting down the lake country with the Kurz 6.5

Snowman3
.224 member

Reged: 02/10/15
Loc: Perth, Western Australia
      #278905 - 07/03/16 01:22 AM

Quote:

many people distrust and refuse to eat any meat that isn't beef, lamb, pork or chicken

On the farm we used to serve up freshly 'harvested' kangaroo meat to guests and visitors in curries, stews, etc where it obviously wasn't beef or lamb. AFTER complimenting mum on how nice the meal was we would casually mention where we procured the meat. The looks on their faces were priceless! That was in the mid 1990s, people are even more closed minded now in my opinion. Even some children of farming families I know turn up their nose to such peasant nosh...

It goes to show how wealthy Australians have become (or at least we perceive so) when even the working class turn up their nose at game meats and even certain cuts and offal that were often consumed by the middle class a generation or two ago. I can't think of anyone my age (30s) who cooks with kidney, tripe or liver - probably because they didn't see their parents cooking with it or were served it at the table. I suppose that's progress ?????

OK, rant over.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: A black fallow buck [Re: Snowman3]
      #278913 - 07/03/16 03:40 AM

I hate liver - unless it is Whitetail or Mule Deer, Moose or Elk- it must be sliced VERY thin 1/8" to 3/16" at the most, fried in a very hot pan with olive oil or peanut or bear oil, turned in seconds, then onto the other plate - OOhh, Yummy!
You can keep that crap in the grocery store - unless I was VERY hungry, bought in a chunk of course and re-sliced it myself.

Haven't had kidney for years, nor heart - only game hearts.
Never had tripe or lungs - except for haggis, of course.

Today, with my kids - OH NO - not organ meat! When young, they also ate deer, elk and moose liver, but not today - it's not good for you, did you know? I didn't.

I love turkey gizzard and liver boiled (for hours until tender) then chopped and added to the gravy for the family Christmas supper - I miss that.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: A black fallow buck [Re: DarylS]
      #278915 - 07/03/16 04:43 AM

Quote:

I hate liver - unless it is Whitetail or Mule Deer, Moose or Elk- it must be sliced VERY thin 1/8" to 3/16" at the most, fried in a very hot pan with olive oil or peanut or bear oil, turned in seconds, then onto the other plate - OOhh, Yummy!
You can keep that crap in the grocery store - unless I was VERY hungry, bought in a chunk of course and re-sliced it myself.

Haven't had kidney for years, nor heart - only game hearts.
Never had tripe or lungs - except for haggis, of course.

Today, with my kids - OH NO - not organ meat! When young, they also ate deer, elk and moose liver, but not today - it's not good for you, did you know? I didn't.

I love turkey gizzard and liver boiled (for hours until tender) then chopped and added to the gravy for the family Christmas supper - I miss that.

Right there with you--we had liver and onions on the farm all the time... weird thing about that and not being good for you..my Dad turns 91 in a few weeks...weird...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

gryphon
.450 member

Re: A black fallow buck [Re: Ripp]
      #278916 - 07/03/16 05:41 AM

Theres not much we wont eat from a home killed or shot animal..except its arsehole and feet.

Deer tongues..yum!Save a few and either pickle and simmer or just simmer without pickling.

Daryl I have always loved home killed birds gizzards,livers,feet from goslings/ducks/fowl etc.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3101

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com