Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: new Aussie Hunter

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
fishman
.224 member

Reged: 11/03/04
Loc: Melbourne Victoria Australia
new Aussie Hunter
      #11409 - 11/03/04 09:23 PM

Hi all, this is my first post here ,, just taking it all in ,theres heaps of info on the board ,, ill be doing heaps of reading and looking ,for sure ill ask a question or 2 as im a first time virgin Vic Firearms Licence holder, i havent brought my first firearm yet but it will be a .22 till i gain some Exp ,,I have never had anything to do with Guns or Hunting, so here comes a sharp learning Curve for me witch ill take head on and suck up as much info and advice as possable, and sure im probely ask some basic questions like the ones you would expect from a learner ,,anyway see ya on the board ,,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
Re: new Aussie Hunter [Re: fishman]
      #11428 - 12/03/04 11:32 AM

Welcome to the site Fishman, There is alot of experience floating about here so ask away.

Far_Canel
.224 member

Reged: 02/01/04
Re: new Aussie Hunter [Re: Bakes]
      #11438 - 12/03/04 06:57 PM

Welcome to the forum,there are no dumb questions.

Lets start with what sort of rifles interest you?
Lever Action
Bolt "
Pump "
Shotguns

What sort of shooting interests you?
Hunting
Target
Collecting

That should get the ball rolling.

Regards,Shaun.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #11440 - 12/03/04 07:37 PM

Fishman

Welcome to NitroExpress.com. I hope you find the site entertaining and enjoyable.

I too started off with a .22 and also a .410 shotgun.

The .22 was a little single shot Lithgow with open sights that had sat behind the seat of my Dad's ute for decades. Scratched, dirty, never cleaned. It got cleaned and the stock sanded down and re-varnished. Still a cheapie but I used it for years and probably did my best open-sight shooting ever since with it.

The .410 shotgun was a side by side with long thin barrels and hinged so the shotgun when broken the muzzles could be placed against the stock. A grand little gun with which I immensely enjoyed shooting many rabbits. One day I must get this shotgun restored so it can be restored to its proper place.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

fishman
.224 member

Re: new Aussie Hunter [Re: NitroX]
      #11442 - 12/03/04 09:24 PM

Thanks for the Welcome gents,,
Ok lets get the ball rolling

My first firearm will be .22 rifle Bolt Action for Rabbits! and Foxes? Ive heard that Lever Action Rifles if not of good Quality can get jammed up?(some correct me here if need be) My main focus at the Start when i can get out will be looking for some Rabbit and Fox action...

Id love a Shotgun, Under and over for Clay targets??And what sort would suit the Rabbit situation here ??

Can i Ask? is there an Etiquette when we talk and refer to our Firearms?like can i just say Guns and Ammo

Im not at this stage planning to shoot at rifle ranges,,

First serious question Calibers
this refers only to the ammo? or is there a relationship between the gun caliber and the ammo caliber ,, I take the .22 caliber ammo as being .22 of an inch diameter measured at the widest part of the case or Jacket (whats the correct word here?) not including the Flanged bit...

if im sort of on the right track, now i get confused when terms like 30-06 and 30-30 are metioned how are they measured??

Nitro x, you mention your good old .410 shotgun how much different to a 12 Gauge is that in Caliber terms???

Just one more, the term NITRO is used to describe lots of things .. Its what i call the fuel petrol i use in my awesome RC race cars,its made up of 75% Methyl Alcohol 15%Nitromethane and %10 castor oil or a synthtic oil we call it Nitro
anyways whats the Nitro term used for in talking about guns?
gees as big kev says im excited about all this i work indoors all day and i love the Outdoors to death carnt wait to get out there ..

gary
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
      #11444 - 12/03/04 10:43 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

Bakes
.375 member

#11445 - 12/03/04 10:45 PM

When you start talking calibres things can seem confusing.
308,30-06,30-30,300winmag,300WM are all .308 of an inch.
The .303 is actually .311 of and inch. The 7.62 is .308 still with me

The 30-06 is a 30 calibre invented in 1906.
The 30-30 is a 30 calibre round that WAS propelled by 30 grains (gr) of black powder. 45-70, 45 cal propelled by 70gr
of black powder.

The 6.5x55 and .264 winmag are the same calibre (.264 of an inch)
The 6.5x55,7x57 and 8x57 are 6.5mm,7mm and 8mm bullets with a case length of 55mm,57mm

.410 is a calibre
12,20,16 are gauges

Now the .22 rim fire is .222. The .223,22-250,220 swift shoot bullets that are .224

Mate the list goes on.

My choise for a .22 for rabbits AND foxes would be a .22 magnum. More power for foxes.

Start reading gun mags/books, you'll pick up some good info from them. And sites such as this as well.

gary
.224 member

Reged: 06/03/04
Re: new Aussie Hunter [Re: Bakes]
      #11447 - 12/03/04 11:13 PM

I agree with Bakes (that's twice in two days )if you can afford it go for the 22 magnum if not a bit down the track you may wish you had.

Especially, once you start chasing foxes or even goats (up close)

My son shot heaps of rabbits and goats early on with his little 22, but it wasn't long until he progressed to a larger calibre. Which in his case was my .308 Browning Lever Action.

Matt aged about seven with a little bunny for the pot.

475Guy
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/03
Loc: Kali, US
      #11448 - 12/03/04 11:53 PM

Even though I'm a non-Oz, I welcome you to the site also. If you are trying to learn about guns and ammo, etc, I'd start getting hold of all and any gun and hunting magazines that are in your stores. Whatever you glean from the reading and can't understand something, post it.

--------------------
Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place among
them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

fishman
.224 member

Re: new Aussie Hunter [Re: 475Guy]
      #11519 - 14/03/04 10:08 PM

yer the caliber thing seems a bit confusing at start but ill get the hang of it,, like anything ya have to do ya research ,im off to the shops to get some books and mags ,,thanks

Far_Canel
.224 member

Reged: 02/01/04
      #11599 - 15/03/04 09:46 PM

Fishy,
I'll give you a tip on books,SECOND HAND.Get around to all the second hand book shops and get some s/h magazines on shooting.Save yourself a fortune,I still drop in to them if I'm passing one.
My shooting interests are narrowed down somewhat to when I started but you never know what you will stumble across.
Suck up all the info you can get your hands on,borrow books from shooters if you can.I still do,and always return them promptly.
Also get you hands on pamplets from gunshops,good reading there.HTH

Bakes mate,buddy,pal,
A little nitpick,the 30/30 was always designed as a smokeless round.You are right though,30 caliber with 30 grains of smokeless powder.
It first came out in 1895 for the Win 1894 Lever Action.
(Got that from a s/h book.)

Shaun.

Edited by Far_Canel (15/03/04 09:50 PM)

Bakes
.375 member

Re: new Aussie Hunter [Re: Far_Canel]
      #11600 - 15/03/04 10:53 PM

Well there you go, there's always something to learn I stand corrected. Thank you Shaun

AND it shows that someone reads my posts

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3103

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com