Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: bullet placement V's cartridge

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Les
.224 member

Reged: 04/05/03
bullet placement V's cartridge
      #11021 - 06/03/04 10:30 AM

Something I've been thinking about lately after reading the hunting news section in the ADA Australian Deer mag. Jan./Feb. issue, page 61 if anyone has it. this is about a Sambar stag taken in Victoria where a hunter took a stag on the run with 2 shots from a 35 whelen.
I'll just quote from the article.

"The stag was missing a brow tine and when dressing out the carcase Matt found not one but two superbly placed and mushroomed .30 cal. bullets lodged in the shoulder area and the wounds completely healed over.
The stag showed no indication of any disability when it was put up" end of quote.

Any thoughts anyone on the cartridge used, I take it, it was low vel. soft bullet used but I've been racking my brain trying to come up with it, no mention if bone was hit....Les

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: bullet placement V's cartridge [Re: Les]
      #11024 - 06/03/04 11:46 AM

Could be a .308 at an extended range. Elmer Kieth speaks of shooting 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry and being able to pick up the spent bullet on top of the grass behind the target.

A 180 grain at a striking velocity of, say 700fps, could expand and still not penitrate. I suppose it could be a 30-30 also.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Les
.224 member

Reged: 04/05/03
      #11038 - 06/03/04 03:04 PM

Yeah Mickey, thought of that, but these Sambar are in the Vic alps, one is very lucky (or unlucky) to get a shot over 100/150 mtrs usually 50/80 mtrs is normal up there due to heavy bush cover. Sambar shot in the shoulder rarely go down straight away but usually take off some distance before dropping, so the second shot will tell the story, just got me stumped, 2 accurate shots in the same area and quick ones at that, so I maybe a "good" 30/30 but I don't think so somehow, anyway will can only ponder I guess....Les

HiWall
.275 member

Reged: 01/11/03
Loc: Brisbane, Qld
      #11119 - 07/03/04 07:18 PM

I would suggest a 7.62x39 fired from an SKS/SKK but we know that would not be possible as they have ALL been grabbed by Johnny!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2066

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com