Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The difference.....

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
The difference.....
      #10880 - 04/03/04 10:25 PM

Between hunters in the US and Australia. I've been reading some US hunting mags and I have found that the hunters in the States take their hunting VERY seriously! You love your gagets and tend to hunt with newish factory rifles. Now Aussie hunters seem to be more laid back, will use whatever they have in the shed at the time and are more than happy to hunt with their old .303. This post is not a dig at you yanks by the way its just an friendly observation

Anybody out there who has hunted around the world care to comment on the different hunting "styles" they've seen.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: The difference..... [Re: Bakes]
      #10882 - 04/03/04 11:28 PM

I could not make a comment until I hunt with y'all. Now I can comment on Africa. I think things are a bit more serious there than in the USA. I am used to letting the game go get sick after shooting it and giving it time to die. In my experience this has not taken long as I am a known heart breaker. In Africa, they want you to pursue it right away. Seems they worry about tracking and all.

Mostly at home I am quite certain the animal I have shot is dead, usually I can see them or I most certainly hear them go down in the woods. I always give them time to sort out their last few minutes on their own.

Concerning gear, well, two of my rifles are sporterized Mausers, I love 'em and wouldn't trade them for a new gun fresh out of a box.

As far as the start of hunting season here, I am always anxious and ready to get into the woods for a chance at the season's first deer.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #10895 - 05/03/04 02:27 AM

Bakes

I have not really seen the differance in 'real time'. Don't forget that magazine writers have to have new rifles or they would have to actually use there imagination.

The Aussies I know all have more than just a 303 in the shed. They may not buy brand new rifles, and neither do I, but they buy plenty of nice used ones.

Most of those gadgets are just in the magazines I think.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Bakes
.375 member

Re: The difference..... [Re: mickey]
      #10912 - 05/03/04 08:39 AM

In reply to:

The Aussies I know all have more than just a 303 in the shed. They may not buy brand new rifles, and neither do I, but they buy plenty of nice used ones.

I was just generalising there

In reply to:

Don't forget that magazine writers have to have new rifles or they would have to actually use there imagination.

Your right there. Most of the Aussie gun mags are full of hunting stories with a few tech/how to articles, where the US mags are full of techo stuff (which I enjoy by the way) I guess they (the US mags ) have to push the latest and greatest for their backers. Something that is happening in our mags to.

In reply to:

Concerning gear, well, two of my rifles are sporterized Mausers, I love 'em and wouldn't trade them for a new gun fresh out of a box

Good to see another Mauser fan

Is there a mag out there that reflects the true US hunter?

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #10916 - 05/03/04 09:35 AM

In reply to:

Between hunters in the US and Australia. I've been reading some US hunting mags and I have found that the hunters in the States take their hunting VERY seriously! You love your gagets and tend to hunt with newish factory rifles. Now Aussie hunters seem to be more laid back, will use whatever they have in the shed at the time and are more than happy to hunt with their old .303. This post is not a dig at you yanks by the way its just an friendly observation

Anybody out there who has hunted around the world care to comment on the different hunting "styles" they've seen.

I think a lot of US hunters do take their hunting more seriously is because it is more concentrated. A short rifle season for whitetail and maybe a single tag only. Maybe a short season for deer for muzzleloaders and bows. A way to extend the hunting days. Then maybe a short season for turkey or whatever.

Being forced to accept a limited number of days does concentrate the mind.

This is of course a generalisation as there are many states and many different hunting regimes ranging from very short seasons with very limited tags to long seasons with lots of deer. Ranging from lots of public access to only private access. Generalisations are dangerous. I am also speaking just from perception anyway never having hunted there so really it is a lot of BS.

Rather than here - for example South Aust. No seasons except for quail and duck. Can shoot what you want and how many (except for duck and quail). Except roos etc where virtually unlimited access can be had but again private property access is a key.

Equipment. The US mags definitely push the commercial angles harder trying the sell the next Remchester in the newist must have calibre which does nothing more than a .270, .30-06 or 300 will do already. Our magazines are following suit.

I don't know any Aussie shooters that use a .303 nowadays. If they have one it really is forgotten in the back shed (or back of the safe nowadays). But I agree gadgets aren't or don't seem as big here. Personally I can't carry all that stuff .

The Aussie "hunter" also may not even be a hunter in my view, thinking hunting is sitting on a ute with an electric dog spotlighting. I don't know how many times I have asked people whether they want to come hunting pigs (etc), and from then all they talk about is spotlighting. In my view spotlighting is not hunting, it is pest eradication. Also I find it personally really boring and dull to do. Like shooting paper targets.

On the other hand most of the really keen men are excellent stalkers, like the sambr men. What about the dogging pig sticking guys? The dedicated trophy deer hunters?

Generalisations are often BS.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #10918 - 05/03/04 09:53 AM

I've been in the guiding business since the 1980's and in that time I've only ever had 3 or 4 hunters who brought 303's along as their main rifle.
Plenty of my Aussie clients use quality rifles like Sauer takedowns, Mannlichers, Obendorf Mausers, custom rifles etc.

**DONOTDELETE**

#10920 - 05/03/04 10:08 AM

Bakes,

I think much of it can be traced back to the fact that we are basically varmint shooting and the importance attached to each animal is very small.

This is also seen in our calibre selection and calibre use. For example, the very keen guns and ammo Australian shooter is likely to use a calibre that might not be regarded as the most efficient for the job at hand. Our American friends that own cannons are still most likely to use the appropriate calibre when they go deer or pronghorn antelope hunting whereas for us we are not after a particular roo, pig or goat and fun overrides efficiency.

Mike

Bakes
.375 member

Re: The difference..... [Re: Mike375]
      #10924 - 05/03/04 11:05 AM

In reply to:

I think much of it can be traced back to the fact that we are basically varmint shooting and the importance attached to each animal is very small.

True Mike! I often see the remarks "do you guys eat those pigs/goats/scrub bulls" etc from our US friends when they see some pics of Aussie game. Most of our game is left to rot out in the bush where US hunters make use of the meat.Climate is a big difference there I suppose, hunting in the build up of the top end is not conductive to a good pig meal

I'll be hunting with a .303 this dry season, just to give the old girl a whirl

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #10925 - 05/03/04 11:09 AM

In reply to:

I often see the remarks "do you guys eat those pigs/goats/scrub bulls" etc from our US friends

Laws, attitudes to waste, and quantity vs scarcity.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The difference..... [Re: NitroX]
      #10933 - 05/03/04 12:29 PM

I swap a few emails with one of our US members that has around 90 rifles /guns etc now me, i reckon i`m lucky to have two bloody deer rifles on hand but still can only use one and both will do the job on what we have in Oz anyway.There are still three o`s being used for sambar hunting Nitro not that i want one at all,though there is a nice double rifle in 303 in Cabelas gun room for sale that i suppose i could force myself to use if i had to.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2554

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com