Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Australian Dangerous Game

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
Prev_Forum
.333 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Web
Australian Dangerous Game
      #220 - 30/12/02 02:33 PM

What are the dangerous game species of Australia - in your opinion?

Which animals would you rate as Australian Dangerous Game?

And have you tangled with any of them and survived? What firearms do you think are the minimum you would recommend to use?

Anyone can have a go at this discussion. Dangerous is in the mind of the beholder. Australia may not have Grizzlys or Lion, but even one of the most dangerous game animals on earth, the Cape Buffalo is usually shot without mishap, charges being the exception rather than the rule.

Any one carry physical or even mental scars? (I know snakes scare the s**t out of me but they're not game and I still haven't been bitten even though I once fell on top of one).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nitro

"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."

http://NitroExpress.com

First Previous 2-3 of 3 Next Last Delete Replies

Recommend Delete Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

A member emailed me this reply - so I have copied and pasted it on the message board

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was once unfortunate enough to have a run in with a boar razorback the only thing that saved my backside was a shotgun with a load of SG`s thank christ. it only took one pellet to bring him down or i don't think i would be typing this now . so my answer is give me a shotgun with SG`s anytime.

PS. i did have to change my undies after that encounter

So this answer is Razorbacks - large wild feral boars.

Recommend Delete Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Anyway here's my views:

Water Buffalo
These beasts have been shot with 243 to 500 Nitro's and most calibres in between. A lot were culled in the old days with 303s and 44/40s, but most of this shooting was done from horse back or Landcruiser back. And the "shooters" weren't terribly worried if wounded beasts escaped.

On foot in the wild they are quite a different proposition and weigh far more than a Cape Buffalo. Yet they would not be in Cape Buff class of cunning and dangerousness. They have been known to attack Landcruisers, men on horseback and even a train. A wounded beast though will also take a lot of killing.

While not native Australia is the only place where they can truly be hunted in the wild free ranging.

Banteung
A breed of wild Asian cattle. Not many are hunted each year and mainly by well heeled foreign hunters usually using larger calibre rifles. But any bull related to the Asian Gaur has to be considered dangerous.

In their home ranges Banteung can not be hunted so again Australia is probably the only place where these can be hunted FREE RANGE.

Saltwater Crocodile
Not legal to hunt these YET. But NO REASON why this is the case other than Government Greenie gutlessness. They are man eaters and are considered far more aggressive than the African Nile Crocodile species. They will attack cattle, man, boats etc and seeing they haven't been hunted for croc generations have not developed fear of man. Go fishing in the NT or Northern WA and you can sometimes count numerous "salty" sets of eyes within a 100 metre of your camp (with a spotlight).

When or if it can be hunted again, would truly be Australian dangerous game.

These two I would probably not include in Dangerous Australian game but some would and they can certainly be dangerous at times.
Scrub Bulls
Bulls that have never seen the Cattle Station muster. Not branded and can be a considerable nuisance during musters due to their wildness. Will also often charge man unprovoked. A great trophy as a skin or shoulder mount.

"Razorbacks"
Wild boars that from their feral origins are showing more and more characteristics of the Wild Boar. The "Rackback" is the ridge of hair growing along the spine. Large and can be dangerous, similar to Wild Boars elsewhere in the world.

The major dangerous "game" you will discover in Australia is poisonous (is their any other kind?) snakes. Not hunted of course. Best avoided.

Just some of my ideas, Anyone else have any pet additions or disagree?

Nitro

--------------------
Message from previous message board

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Australian Dangerous Game [Re: Prev_Forum]
      #358 - 02/01/03 11:20 AM

I dont think we have any dangerous game here at all--reason being that any animal will attack you if wounded,pigs bulls etc or if disturbed unduly and none of our animals will actively hunt and eat you as will Tiger,Lion,Bears etc.Even a bloody old cow with a new calf can give you a shove if too near at times.More people are killed by captive animals than wild here,penned deer and hand reared bulls are two on the books.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Marty
.300 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
Re: Australian Dangerous Game [Re: gryphon]
      #489 - 05/01/03 04:24 PM

I think dangerous game is any animal that can attack you unprovoked and kill you. That to my mind is dangerous game. Whether it eats you afterwards like a Lion or Tiger would is irrelevant.

Dangerous animals to stalk in Australia (stil hunt if you will) would include Buffalo, Scrub Bulls, Banteng, Crocs (though not a legally hunted proposition) and pigs (with reservation). The reason I say pigs with reservation is that in near on 20 years of hunting the things I am yet to face a charge. I have had pigs run at me but more out of not knowing where I was than a deliberate attack. That said, I dont doubt people have recieved unprovoked charges from pigs, and been killed or seriously injured. That makes them dangerous in my book.

I have been threatened by Buff, suprised by crocs, charged by Scrub Bulls (on several occasions) and seen Banteng in the zoo. But any critter related to the Gaur is worthy of the highest respect.

--------------------

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: Australian Dangerous Game [Re: Marty]
      #542 - 06/01/03 11:51 AM

Hey Marty its me again lol here are a few of your words "I think dangerous game is any animal that can attack you unprovoked and kill you. That to my mind is dangerous game. Whether it eats you afterwards like a Lion or Tiger would is irrelevant." Me i dissagree about the "irrelevant" it is VERY relevant to me as i did say the ones that eat you will UNPROVOKED actively go and hunt you with that in mind and this makes them bloody dangerous,yes cape buff rhino`s etc can also be bloody dangerous but they dont go out actively hunting humans as some individuals of the other species have and will do.Have a look at the bear attacks every year in the world --plenty of them on humans reported and when you read about the attacks(plenty on the web) it makes you realise how dangerous they can often be.Ditto for tigers the true master of India they eat people every year but we dont get the news here,lions kill people every year as well,yes people get stomped and kicked by other animals but really doe`s it make them on the whole DANGEROUS GAME?

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

mickey
.416 member

Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
      #563 - 06/01/03 01:37 PM

I have to agree with those who put Scrub Bulls in the dangerous game catagory. Or in the just plane dangerous catagory. I have a friend who is still recovering two years after being attacked, yes attacked, by a scrub bull. He was exiting his ute when a bull that apparently been following the vehicle pinned him to the door and then pushed him around on the ground for a bit.

A cracked pelvis, cracked ribs, torn muscles and a broken and clogged blood vessel almost cost him a leg. IMO they are very cheeky and much smarter than Water Buffalo .

While any animal 'can' be dangerous when wounded or provoked. Some just usually are. Scrub Bulls fit that discription.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Marty
.300 member

Loc: Darwin. NT, Australia
      #671 - 08/01/03 09:31 PM

In reply to:

yes people get stomped and kicked by other animals but really doe`s it make them on the whole DANGEROUS GAME?

Well it does in my book. Especially if it kills you.
A charging Rabbit is not a dangerous animal. A charging Elephant is a dangerous animal. Neither will eat you.

--------------------

Bakes
.375 member

Reged: 31/01/03
Loc: QLD
      #1488 - 06/02/03 09:59 PM

Marty
Have you seen Monty Python's Holy Grail? There's one mean rabbit in that film.

Bakes

EXPRESS
.224 member

Reged: 03/02/03
Loc: Italy
Re: Australian Dangerous Game [Re: Bakes]
      #1568 - 10/02/03 09:13 AM

I'd say dangerous game is anything that can hurt you if it decied to attack you.

I've had a lot of pigs charging in one particular hunt about 250 NW of Bourke where becuase of the method of hunting, often the pigs would charge.
We would circle small patched of lignum, and any pigs that were in there would bolt out. If you were lucky the came out one you side and you could see them, if not, you had to run. Run. And run after them. After a short chase into the desert surrounding the lignum they would stop, and usualy turn for you. You would be less tha 10 meters away. The easiest thig to do was let them come in and hit them with the rifle leveled with the head. I was actually a lot of fun, and at no time did I ever really feel like I was in danger of being gored.

I shot a NT buff in '97 that attempted to charge, each time I'd shoot into his chest, he'd stop. Start over again for 4 shots.

I'd say buffalo and pigs in close quarters, if they have no way of escaping can be dangerous. Though I would not say that pigs are generally a dangerous animal to hunt.

I can't see why shooting crocs could be dangerous, how could they get you? You're either going to be in a boat or 50meters away up a bank, and if you wound him, he's gonna head for the water, not you.

Thats my .2c

deerhunter
.224 member

Reged: 05/05/03
Loc: Queensland, Australia
      #2623 - 05/05/03 03:26 PM

Greenis and politicians. Use nothing under .30 cal...

--------------------
Australian Deer Association

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 2833

You rated this topic a 3.
Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com